Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changing Factory Fit Audio Unit

Views : 10431

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2011, 18:58   #11
V70Kaz

Hi All.

I have a car with the 2004 charcoal interior, same style as the 2002 without the wood or aluminium surround. The other half has the 2002 lighter grey. The part number on here is the grey one which is a good colour match. I ordered the other Charcoal one and the match was awful, far too light. In the end, after carefully removing the ridges with an angle grinder I sprayed it matt black using Hycote Bodyshop adhesion aid and Hycote matt black bodyshop spray. The match was then much better.

Price for both fascias was about the same as quotes here and we got them from the main dealer.

We also used CanM8 to retain the steering controls and our units are also Pioneers. They are an excellent company and seem to be the only ones out there who can sort this out for Volvos.
V70Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2011, 01:25   #12
rbodor3

Either of you remember the CAN addresses used, and signal names? They're normally standardized, but for something like steering wheel controls I wouldn't think so.
rbodor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2011, 09:17   #13
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbodor3 View Post
Either of you remember the CAN addresses used, and signal names? They're normally standardized, but for something like steering wheel controls I wouldn't think so.
Sorry, no. You'd have to talk to Canm8 for that. I do remember that some where very obscure, perhaps one digit buried in a string and at first anything but obvious.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 10:00   #14
prionailurus
Dan

Default Price?

Can anyone tell me the canm8 price of the adapter for the steering wheel controls?

I've found what looks similar, already built into a volvo->ISO converter, so may save a bit of space & time with connectors.

Ebay link

Another link - I just searched for 39-VOL-01 on a search engine

We don't use a bit of plastic where a bit of metal can go.
Everything I write on here is mere opinion unless stated otherwise, and I'm not ranting, honest
prionailurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 10:11   #15
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Can't tell you the price but I do know that there were changes made to the vehicle coding at the facelift in 2004. This unit may be able to take that into account but if it were me, I'd check on this.
If you decide to get one, can you post a reply on how it works?
I'd be interested in getting the phone buttons on the steering to work, something the CanM8 unit doesn't do.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 10:34   #16
prionailurus
Dan

If the facelift was all done at once then I know I'm pre, as it was MY05 for that, but if Volvo decided to do it in stages, then could they have done the CAN facelift in 2004 then the engine & visual changes in 2005? (just tossing the idea out there)

Also, can you tell me what they do for reading the CAN codes? Is it a "sit with ignition on and press random buttons to make things appear on the DIM" or will I need to get the laptop out?

The description says that the phone things only work with certain brands. I'm assuming some HU manufacturers have used hardware that has a limit as to how many different signals can be interpreted on the 1 addressing system. So they left out the phone from the options of what it can do, knowing this would be the least used feature. Sadly I can't report much on this as the COMMS/NAV pack is just about the only thing I don't have (other than a spoiler which I WOULD like!)

Everything I write on here is mere opinion unless stated otherwise, and I'm not ranting, honest
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 19:36   #17
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

The changes to CAN-Bus coding on the audio happened when the interior trim got its changes and the audio units got a slight change in number, I believe the HU number got 50 added to the end or something like.

Not sure what you mean about reading CAN codes? Do you mean how do the interfaces read code or how is the code read in order to programme an interface?
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 23:20   #18
prionailurus
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Lincs View Post
I spent about 4 hours with them reading CAN bus codes from the car. This concluded with the programming of one of their ICELINK interfaces.
Reading CAN codes, I mean where you able to do this over the phone or where you at their place of business and they plugged something in?

I called them earlier today but no answer so I've mailed asking what information they need, and a price.

Cheers for your help so far, I'll be reporting back on whatever I get sorted.
Dan.

Old Feb 21st, 2012, 09:00   #19
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

I went to CanM8 for code reading, I know they have codes for 2000-2004 and 2005-2007. They were involved in developing the interface used by BluePower replacement audio units to fit Volvos and code reading was part of this project. Producing a standalone interface was I guess a spin off from this project.
I do remember talking to Incartec and I have a feeling that at the time their interface only worked for 2005-2007 cars. I might be wrong or this may have changed.
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 19:35   #20
prionailurus
Dan

Just a quick note that my adapter remains untested, looks good and I've got confidence it will work, but I'm selling the car with the original HU-803 intact. I'll pop an ad in the sales section for this adapter as there's plenty of P2 cars out there it'll work in