Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Early p3 v70 d5, What to look out for?

Views : 1340

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 25th, 2020, 19:44   #1
ukvolvo

Default Early p3 v70 d5, What to look out for?

Merry Xmas everyone

have the chance to purchase a p3 57 185 6 speed manual v70 after our p2 died 148k Apparently no known issues and recent belts.

I keep hearing horor stories of P3's been unreliable to p 2's?

What is the common issues to look out for beyond leaky Windows? Are they good motor's compared to p2's? And do they loose alot of space over the p2 v70.Sadly it has a dpf and swirl flaps.

Thanks
Mick
ukvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2020, 22:53   #2
john493
Spannering since birth

The P3 has more space than the P2, especially rear seat legroom.
If you've got the 185 the engine is quite similar to the euro 4 P2.
Underpinnings are Ford Mondeo, Ford parts are cheaper than Volvo & readily available.
As always, check clutch & DMF on a manual, it's a big job, though the M66 gearbox is good.
Having owned P1 P2 & P3, I really think there is no doubt that the build quality has dropped with each new model.
However, the P3 is usually pretty reliable other than normal wear & tear & windscreen problems, especially the suspension which is not as durable as P1 & P2. I've never experienced and DPF or swirl flap issues, though occasional EGR problems can arise, not that difficult to resolve.
(GS Addict)
john493 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john493 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 25th, 2020, 23:17   #3
Tatsfield
Premier Member

And I come to this from the opposite end of the spectrum. I have a P3, OK it's an XC70 but that shouldn't make too much difference, and I have never owned a P1 or a P2 but I can say that this P3 is the most reliable car I've owned over 50 years of car ownership. I'm typing this with my fingers crossed, but despite the car's Ford underpinnings, it's been screwed together as well as any car I've ever owned and better than most. I think it's a great car but then I never owned a P1 or P2. I realise that it may have quirks and foibles but all cars do and, so far for over 3 years of ownership, it has been a real Volvo of a car.
Old Dec 26th, 2020, 14:28   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukvolvo View Post
Merry Xmas everyone

have the chance to purchase a p3 57 185 6 speed manual v70 after our p2 died 148k Apparently no known issues and recent belts.

I keep hearing horor stories of P3's been unreliable to p 2's?

What is the common issues to look out for beyond leaky Windows? Are they good motor's compared to p2's? And do they loose alot of space over the p2 v70.Sadly it has a dpf and swirl flaps.

Thanks
Mick
The P3 V70's are great cars in my opinion. I haven't owned a P2, so I can't really compare in that respect. However, the D5's seem to be a decent car that are capable of doing mammoth miles. Obviously, there's going to be items that need replacing throughout ownership.

If you do decide to buy a P3, then check the following;

-Service history (for regular oil changes).
-Whether the cam belt & aux belts have been changed (important, as if any snap, the engine could potentially be knackered).

Common issues;

-Windscreen water leaks
-Rear sub frame bushes (these commonly perish). Usually, you may hear a creaking/squeak noise from the rear of the car when there's excessive movement.
-Other suspension items (ball joints, track rod ends etc). In particular the strut top mounts can make a clunking noise over bumps. These perish with wear & tear, but are common to need replacing at some point in time anyway.

Bring one for a good test drive, listen out for any clunks over bumps. Being a diesel, then take into account EGR, swirl flaps etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 26th, 2020, 14:33   #5
MCFastybloke

Bought a 08 D5 V70 18months 30k ago. At the time it had 64k miles, In the first week the trailing arm bushes started squeaking like a trapped cat.
in total
T/arm bushes
Full set of belts
Brake pads all round/discs at front next.
Gearbox flush
Power steering fluid swap
New coolant
Full engine service
interim Air filter
Two interim oil changes
New battery,the out going was original but not done for, got a few electrical warnings etc
Set of tyres

Nothing beyond 12 year old maintenance items in my view and i hope for such frugality for the next 2 years and 50k miles. We quickly decided we would be keeping this one a while so have spent accordingly.
MCFastybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MCFastybloke For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2020, 17:27   #6
ukvolvo

Well i test drove the p3 today and i was not feeling it at all to be fair.

They drive like a mondeo if all the same haha, gears were cheap feeling and the engine.No idea why as it drove fine but it sounded totally different to a usual d5 p2 and was completely guttless. Maybe swirl flaps? It was definitely slower than my p2 d5 and my dad confirmed it driving both.

Issues perhaps or are they really that flat? It just felt really laboured under throttle but no engine lights. If this is how they are i really prefer the p2 for driving and p3 for looks. 5mpg less average on the screen over ours too.

Mick
Old Dec 28th, 2020, 18:27   #7
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:

They drive like a mondeo if all the same haha, gears were cheap feeling and the engine.No idea why as it drove fine but it sounded totally different to a usual d5 p2 and was completely guttless. Maybe swirl flaps? It was definitely slower than my p2 d5 and my dad confirmed it driving both.

Issues perhaps or are they really that flat? It just felt really laboured under throttle but no engine lights. If this is how they are i really prefer the p2 for driving and p3 for looks. 5mpg less average on the screen over ours too.

Mick
Perhaps it's the lower output engine compared to my 230 bhp Polestar D5 but from the sort of other characteristics you list, it sounds like the car is a lemon and not representative of the P3 model.
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 13:29   #8
ukvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
Perhaps it's the lower output engine compared to my 230 bhp Polestar D5 but from the sort of other characteristics you list, it sounds like the car is a lemon and not representative of the P3 model.

Even a 185 bhp car would of moved well i suspect. The more i think about it the more i suspect it has swirl flap issues or similar. It drove like a NA diesel. It had a few suspension niggles too i would not of minded at all if the engine was sound.

I own all classic cars, my old volvo is the newest car i own haha. I think the P2 definitely offers a more drivers car based feel to it in the lower down modelas and its why i prefer it. The dash is even angled im sure like older cars. And the leather seats are very similar to my lovely snug 205 gti ones

There is no other p3's in my budget so its definitely a p2 for me

Thanks for the help buddy
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 14:57   #9
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:

Mick
P2 cars have character whereas P3 cars (and smaller P1 S40 etc) are missing that Volvo-ness.

P2 you have to learn how to drive it and deal with it's quirks - Terrible turning circle, handbrake that always rolls back, poor rear leg room, cabin a bit tight up front (especially the passenger front seat). Car sits very low to the ground so isnt the easiest to get in and out of.

But despite those flaws you are rewarded with things like the seats feel like your favourite armchair. The excellent stereo and a solid chunky dashboard angled towards you with many buttons that make things happen.
The mechanical "chink" sound of the door closing... the car just has this aura of solidity about it which makes you forgive it's numerous design quirks.
And it even drives well.. I actually find my V70 D5 more engaging/fun to drive than my modified S40 T5, which I was not expecting.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The P3 cars seem to fix all of those personality quirks/flaws and everything is just a bit too disconnected. Also the Ford Chassis components underneath looks like cheap crap compared to the P2 where everything is big and chunky.

I will say though, the P3 cars don't appear to be unreliable, just missing a bit of character. My S40 T5 has been incredibly reliable, even if it is a bit boring compared to my V70 D5.
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 15:19   #10
Sotosound
Premier Member

Glad you’ve made a decision. I’m sure that you’ll find a good P2. They’re great cars.

I have to say, however, that the Mondeo that shares its platform with the P3 V70 is a great car. I replaced one with my current 2014 V70 D4, and I was pleasantly struck by how similar they felt, and how the V70’s driver’s seat ergonomics closely matched those of the Mondeo.

The Mondeo is more of a driver’s car than the V70, with better handling, but the V70 offers more of a sense of occasion than the Mondeo. I’d have one of each if I could.
Sotosound is online now   Reply With Quote