Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'68 estate, someone please make it stop....

Views : 1927

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2014, 17:10   #1
Colonel Froth

Default '68 estate, someone please make it stop....

You know when you see a photo of an obviously malnourished dog chained to a tree and it's looking at the camera like the only thing it wants is not to be kicked again? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=201143350927

Looks pretty rusty. I don't think the 'good condition for year' or 'solid underneath' extends underneath the duct tape around the rear arches, nor to the interior of the side rear windows where the water probably drips in from.

Reckon it will sell for £2500?
Colonel Froth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel Froth For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 17:29   #2
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Froth View Post
You know when you see a photo of an obviously malnourished dog chained to a tree and it's looking at the camera like the only thing it wants is not to be kicked again? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=201143350927

Looks pretty rusty. I don't think the 'good condition for year' or 'solid underneath' extends underneath the duct tape around the rear arches, nor to the interior of the side rear windows where the water probably drips in from.

But it is for sale and Estates are dwindling rapidly.
Best to have a look first before bidding, I'd say.
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 17:52   #3
222s
Amazoniste

It's advertised here for £4,500. Incidentally, on the same site, this estate is advertised for £2,500.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 222s For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 17:59   #4
Faust
Master Member

I know the estates are pretty rare and command good money (my missus really, really wants one to possibly replace her V70), but £4500 for that? What is the guy smoking?
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 18:50   #5
gillberry
VOC Member

Must be a woman thing we all love the estates

Have just seen this one on ebay as well 141367149059

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)

Last edited by gillberry; Aug 5th, 2014 at 18:53.
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 22:35   #6
mrdiy59
mrdiy59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Froth View Post

Dear colonel sir , what a boot lid you are, my lovely victor IS very solid underneath as with the rest of my ebay listing i have been very honest it clearly states that a new door skin is required and work to the wheel arches as well, i had him for a year now and have put a lot time and work on him he is a great car that has brought myself and my family a great deal of pleasure and fun, i havent painted over filler like some but i have sanded back the matt black to see whats under it and i love the effect. so stop the negativity so if your interested in replacing your old bangercome and view one with caracter if not close your boot lid and drive off into the sunsett
mrdiy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 23:03   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Now is the time to save this one before the rot sets in where the paint has been removed.

I do remember this car - the raised nose on the bonnet what reminded me anout the history of this car. I think it did sell on ebay around a year ago?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 00:19   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Well. this one certainly has form and I've got lots of pictures to prove it. Maybe more than the current owner has even. Just the George Barris signature on the bonnet might be interesting for someone. He signed it at the Camber Sands meet when he was over along with a Batmobile replica. It is on it's way back to a proper estate, no longer something bodged into a 2 door van with portholes. Shall we agree that it "needs work" and hope someone is willing to take it on.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 08:33   #9
hutch63

Default car came from a radio station in NORWICH

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek uk View Post
well. This one certainly has form and i've got lots of pictures to prove it. Maybe more than the current owner has even. Just the george barris signature on the bonnet might be interesting for someone. He signed it at the camber sands meet when he was over along with a batmobile replica. It is on it's way back to a proper estate, no longer something bodged into a 2 door van with portholes. Shall we agree that it "needs work" and hope someone is willing to take it on.
i tried to buy this car about a year ago from a radio station in norwich at £1000. Placed my bid . However someone from lincoln drove there and pick it up for £800 so just missed out. This guy selling looks like hes done some work on it as it had welded doors and an aireal in the middle and lights all round the body. Has a bigger bonnet.
hutch63 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hutch63 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 10:24   #10
Colonel Froth

Oh I remember! All that box section inside to make the weird panel van conversion with the portholes from a far dirtier decade. You've definitely made improvements to the old monster, MrDIY.

The brushed-on matte black paint was a bit clichéd but this new distressed effect probably won't help you get the best price. It looks rather scene which to many people is synonymous with badly cared for, badly maintained, and badly thrashed. It also looks like someone was looking for rust, didn't find or repair it all, and decided to pull the chain on the project when they realised they were in too deep. If you got it largely bare-metalled and even just brush-painted, photos would reassure people that they weren't buying a dog that had been set on fire. Duct tape = Mondeo. It also makes me think that this car hasn't been welded in the last year, which makes me curious about the seat brackets. The stereo will set alarm bells ringing for many as a demonstration of the level of care/ability used during repair/maintenance. If you sorted all that I bet you'd get a much higher price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdiy59 View Post
[...] if not close your boot lid and drive off into the sunsett
Lamenting the state of the market definitely falls within the remit of this forum You sound fairly genuine, but it seems like you picked it up for 800, took the panels out of the back, added some beaten up 240 seats and decided it's worth £4500. You've got a bid at 2500, I wish you luck, and the new owner more so
Colonel Froth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colonel Froth For This Useful Post: