Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Leased Vehicle & Volvo On Call

Views : 7621

Replies : 84

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2018, 22:37   #31
RobQuads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Nobody thinks about the SRS unit which stores all sorts of data on the driving and accident …

How many people get their VOC account closed when they sell the car? Erase their phone contacts and navigation destinations etc ? The new cars have a reset to factory settings option for the Sensus system that may well do all that for you .
This is an interesting question - I have often wondered how selling cars worked. Can you go to Volvo and get VOC reset so that anyone who has previously setup VOC on their phone can no longer access the car.
RobQuads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 22:53   #32
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobQuads View Post
This is an interesting question - I have often wondered how selling cars worked. Can you go to Volvo and get VOC reset so that anyone who has previously setup VOC on their phone can no longer access the car.
Yes that is what you are supposed to do, Get it De-activated when you sell the car , It leaves it free for the next owner to activate it . Otherwise he is driving it around and the call centre still have your personal details on file ..
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 01:50   #33
encroute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief inspector View Post
I hear what youre saying, but VOC does in fact log personal data.

It logs all your journeys, A to B and puts them in a driving log with times, distance and MPG.

I know one fleet company are having a mare with people not relinquishing control at lease end, meaning the old owners can do all the start stop/ honk malarkey and the manufacturers make it difficult for them to resolve quickly and easily. What I suppose they need to do is take a deposit for any connected services and have a supplementary contract.
In true data terms it holds Vehicle data, not personal data.
There is nothing to identify who drove the car for each journey (I have not used named profiles), so this is not classified as identifying or personal data.

Still, an interesting point they may raise.
However in terms of the contract they are covered already, it needs to be returned "as delivered" (No VOC configured), so I'd be in breach of contract for not relinquishing control in September 2022.
encroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 09:09   #34
lawndom

I may have missed this in the previous posts, but has anyone had an issue getting VOC enabled on a Santander lease? It looks like Lex are causing problems, but mine is due direct from volvo finance (santander) sometime towards the end of November? Do I need to start speaking to my dealer now?
lawndom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 09:10   #35
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawndom View Post
I may have missed this in the previous posts, but has anyone had an issue getting VOC enabled on a Santander lease? It looks like Lex are causing problems, but mine is due direct from volvo finance (santander) sometime towards the end of November? Do I need to start speaking to my dealer now?
Santander have no issues with it.

Kind Regards
Marc

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MtillingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 09:16   #36
lawndom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtillingVolvo View Post
Santander have no issues with it.

Kind Regards
Marc
Ah good to know, thanks Marc.
lawndom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 10:56   #37
Paddybear

Does anyone know if Arnold Clark Finance have any issues with VOC? We've just ordered a XC60 T8 and the paperwork doesn't included any references to it. Easy to assume it would be activated but I'd rather know now if not.
Paddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 11:09   #38
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddybear View Post
Does anyone know if Arnold Clark Finance have any issues with VOC? We've just ordered a XC60 T8 and the paperwork doesn't included any references to it. Easy to assume it would be activated but I'd rather know now if not.
It is part of the PDI to activate On Call , they will ask for your personal details to register it and when you pick it up it should be working !
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 12:39   #39
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It is part of the PDI to activate On Call , they will ask for your personal details to register it and when you pick it up it should be working !
Unless of course it is prohibited by the finance house.......

I would personally ask the specific and exact question of Arnold Clark now. Then you can decide on what you want to do.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 13:04   #40
encroute

Quote:
Originally Posted by encroute View Post
[Sorry, Long post...]

Extracted & edited from my (latest) email to the Broker......

1. So the Broker quoted their Quotation T&Cs
- "driver data will not be set-up on the vehicle due to restrictions set by the funder"
I pointed out that the Volvo on Call (VOC) system does not contain "driver data". VOC is part of Volvo's car safety and vehicle management suite.

2. The broker was instructed that VOC was a requirement, as initially we thought it to be a paid option, but in fact the MY19 XC60 (and all current Volvos) have it included as Standard Equipment - and there was no notification that this Standard Equipment was not going to be available to us. In fact their website still lists it as being supplied on the XC60. (See below)

3. Lex's T&Cs - the contract we did sign - do not prohibit these services, and in fact indicate they are acceptable, provided there is no liability to Lex:
CONNECTED SERVICES (this clause only applies if the Vehicle includes any Connected Service (see the definition of this term in clause 15(b) below))
(a) If the Vehicle includes any Connected Services, we will not be responsible for them.
[We accept this]
(b) You will need to agree any terms on which the Connected Services are provided (and you should contact the supplier or manufacturer for more information (including the terms)). The phrase "Connected Services' means services providing additional in-car services by use of an embedded SIM card or device which is bought from, or made available by, the Vehicle's manufacturer or another service provider (and includes, for example, real time navigation updates and Wi-Fi hotspot enabling). [We accept this]
(c) Connected Services may be provided free of charge by the manufacturer of the Vehicle for a given period. This period may be shorter than the period you have agreed to hire the Vehicle (including any informal extension to or an extended period of hire). We will not be responsible for the cost of any Connected Services, or lost costs (or other expenses) if your agreement with us ends early. If any Connected Services are withdrawn, we are not responsible for any lost costs you may incur. You are responsible for meeting the cost of any upgrades to any Connected Services. [We accept this]
(d) We have no responsibility to you for any loss, damage, cost or expense you suffer because of the Connected Services working or not working. [We accept this]
(e) If you sign up to the Connected Services, you may agree to provide (or actually provide) data to someone other than us. You are responsible for making sure the other party is using your information and data in a way you have agreed with them. [We accept this]
(f) Before returning the Vehicle, you must (a) remove all personal data or information from the Vehicle and (b) disable any functionality which tracks the Vehicle's location or provides access to the Vehicle. [We accept this]
(g) If yours is an agreement under which we agree to provide you with maintenance services, you must use our approved maintenance and vehicle related service providers and not those providers that the manufacturer of the Vehicle or other party recommend or direct you to use through the Connected Services. For the avoidance of doubt, these services include (but are not limited to): breakdown, tyre replacement, replacement glass and maintenance and repair. [We accept this - N/a as we have no maintenance contract with you or Lex]
(h) You must not use Connected Services to change the Vehicle's mechanical performance from its specification when it was first delivered to you. [We accept this - N/a - Not possible with VOC]

4. In Lex's initial email (19 September 2018 13:50) they said: "You will need to go back to the dealership and see if they can assist you.", and then subsequently refused to authorise Marshalls to do this.

5. There is a huge inconsistency in this market - I now have substantial evidence of Lex Volvo vehicles (brand new and older, on maintenance contract and without, private and company leases) using VOC as standard. his information is from both individuals and direct from Volvo dealers.

"As our broker, and a Nationally recognised vehicle supplier, I expect a better response.

I appreciate that there has been an error along the way, and that some of these systems are growing and cause headaches for you and the finance companies.
However there is plenty of evidence that this particular system, Volvo on Call is both benign and provides no risk or liability to Lex (or my personal data).

As our broker, you were aware of our requirements, and if we were to be a suspicious individuals, might assume that [Broker's name] knew all along this was likely to happen, but continued - to secure the business. I choose to believe this is not the case, as he was nothing but professional the entire time, and very patient with our constant enquiries.

However I now need you to represent me, with Lex, to authorise Marshalls in Peterbrough to release of the VOC "PIN" for this vehicle."

Fingers crossed again....
So, our broker - who I am now prepared to "out" as Nationwide Vehicle Contracts (@car_lease) have been less than useless - the Customer service response was:
"I am sorry that you remain unsatisfied, unfortunatly we are not able to consider this any further.
I appreciate that this is not the resolution you hoped and I apologise for the inconvenience this has caused."

Quite a response for potential breach of contract.
Hoping Lex will respond with a higher attention to detail.
encroute is offline   Reply With Quote