Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1800 ES chassis number

Views : 1183

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 11:12   #1
emike

Hi All

I am looking to purchase an 1800ES but there seems to be a bit
of a puzzle with regards to the chassis number and I was
wondering if anybody can throw some light on things for me.

The car has the following numbers "Type 1834352Y
S1834352Y00506"

I understand the legend behind the series 1834352 in both
groups but what of the 00506. If the car is a genuine Y (73
series) the chassis number can not be "00506" as the Y series
chassis numbers started at 3071.

The actual engine number is 8280730. Is there any records that
would enable this to match with the chassis number. I have not
been able to locate anything on the various web sites that I
have looked at.

Any suggestions please.

Thanks

Mike
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 14:22   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

Default P1800ES Chassis Number

Hi Mike

Did you ever get your chassis number question sorted out? I've just acquired a 73 P1800ES and am having exactly the same problem. The car appears totally genuine and I have history on it going back to 1987 - but there is confusion over the chassis number, with even the Volvo dealer who supplied the car to the previous owner in 1987, and then serviced the car through the 80's and 90's apparently unable to come up with answer.

Also, whereabouts on the engine did you find the engine number? I can only find the legend B20E on the side of the block on mine.

Cheers

Tim
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 14:01   #3
neilpeter

Default 1800ES Chassis numbers & Historic status

Hello, don't read the VIN plate for the chassis number - it isn't there, strangely. Go to the driver's door, and peel back the door seal rubber between the hinges. Beneath that you will see the impressed chassis number - the last four digits are the chassis number.

The DVLA MoT computer system usually fails to recognise my chassis number, as it always expects six digits or more, but the four digit chassis number should be on the registration document. I had a problem getting my reg doc and MoT cert reissued with the correct numbers as a result.

Regarding historic status, generally speaking, if your chassis number is 5240 or lower, you should be tax free. If you have a lower number and are still paying road tax, send your chassis number to Ulla Bergwall, the archivist at Volvo, and he will send you the essential letter of confirmation which you can copy to DVLA. Ulla's email address is ubergwal@volvocars.com
neilpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 14:44   #4
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

Ulla is female..