Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bridging 5+6 in headlight swap - a little lost!

Views : 1701

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2011, 16:23   #1
irishandrew

Default Bridging 5+6 in headlight swap - a little lost!

Hi all,

Have just swapped in some phase 2 lights to replace my phase 1.5 single bulb units (thanks littlehomer). Apart from a few (hopefully dead) bulbs (otherwise my wiring is awry) I am unsure as to what I need to bridge behind the indicator/full beam stalk?

After removing the cowling I can see the stalk, however despite removing various screws it doesn't wish to budge. The white block on the back can be removed easily anyhow, which has 3 wires entering it. For the life of me I am struggling to make out the numbers printed on it, as it looks to me like 5 is empty... It is in an awkward position on a dull day, but even still I have no problems with my eyesight!

There's a yellow wire (with stripe) a grey and a black. Am I in the correct place or have I lost the plot?

Has anyone any photos from doing it before? Or willing to disassemble their cowling to take a few shots of a competed bridge?

I've attached a couple of (horribly poor cameraphone) shots to show you where I am.

If those didn't work then the images start here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishandrew/5442083252/

Thanks for any help,

Cheers,
Andrew.
irishandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to irishandrew For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 12:14   #2
Baffler
Premier Member

You can see here where the Grey/Red (5) and the Blue/Yellow (6) have been bridged. This is from a phase 1 model so a little different to yours.

Yours being a phase 1.5 model it probably has the phase 2 wiring loom. When you select the main/full beam does the dipped beam go off? If so, at the back of the headlamp, check which colour wires go to the dipped and which go to the main beam and I would imagine you'd bridge the same wires at the white connector.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 16:06   #3
sebaveh
Winegrover

Does your car have CEM yet? Phase 1,5 should be the first models that came out with it.

If yes, then simply take it to the dealer and let them have "single/twin headlights" parameter changed.

Check here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=103109
sebaveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 16:09   #4
Liiwaannus

I'm also planning the swap from h4 bulb headlights to h7 bulb twin reflector headlights. At the moment i really don't understand what are you trying to bridge?

Also i don't understand what to you mean under phase 1.5. If you could clear out those questions, then i might have some ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebaveh View Post
Does your car have CEM yet? Phase 1,5 should be the first models that came out with it.

If yes, then simply take it to the dealer and let them have "single/twin headlights" parameter changed.

Check here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=103109
I also found the same information as in this topic, but my local volvo dealer said that they haven't heard about this option.

Last edited by Liiwaannus; Feb 14th, 2011 at 16:14.
Liiwaannus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 16:56   #5
sebaveh
Winegrover

Just because they haven't heard it, doesn't mean it don't exist.
They should read parameters from CEM if your car has one. Results will be presented to their fair VIDA and computer monitors automatically. If they can read words, they will find it. If ours can, so will yours But like i said - only if your vehicle has CEM. It can be seen if you remove plastic trim under steering wheel. Look here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ght=CEM+repair

Phase 1,5 is somehow mixture of phase 1 and phase 2. It is actually phase 1 with added CEM, twin headlights and some other changes in wiring harness. But only for model years around 2000.
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 17:39   #6
Liiwaannus

I have CEM, cause i have CEM problem. One dipped beam is not working via the orignal harness, so previous owner (a friend of mine) has build a alternative harness. Right dipped beam gets power straight from battery and it's switched with relay controlled by the left dipped beam power. I'm also planning to repair my CEM i'm familiar with the CEM topic in this forum, so i suspect that i also have a broken relay in CEM.
My car also seems to be something like p 1.5 . It's a 99 registred vehichle but VIN identifies its MY as 00. It has b4184s2 engine and newer shocks etc. but p.1 interior only instrument panel seems to be p.2
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 19:16   #7
sebaveh
Winegrover

Very well then, this looks like a great opportunity to change broken relay and having your CEM programmed for twin headlights.
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 20:41   #8
Liiwaannus

Irish andrew maybe you should too try programming at your local dealer. If you could get it dine, it would be one proof which i could use convincing my dealer, that it can be done, and they should try. Always is a possibility that they want too much money

I personally don't like bridging idea because, as you bridge you double the current in the hi beam circuit. On the other hand as you bridge it would work both ways, so if you don,t build some system there you will get headlights that are allways lit as hi beam. Maybe you could use a diode in bridge, but it wouldn't remove the current problem, other solution would be to make a additional straight line from battery with relay so that when the hi beam is lit, it also switches dipped beam via the relay.

These are versions i considered before hearing about programming option. Now of course i will try the programming, if the price isn't insane.

Any comments about my alternative solutions are welcome. If i have a logic error please let me know.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 22:40   #9
irishandrew

Ah interesting,

I hadn't realised it was an option in the CEM. Yes indeed my car does have a CEM, it's a late '99 model Phase 1.5 XS spec. I will stop by a dealer next week - I have a bit of a list for them!

-Twin headlights (thanks all)
-Auto lock doors (I do it manually, so may as well have the car do it for me)
-Cost of adding sensors/CEM update for adding Auto climate control as I have a replacement head unit to replace the standard aircon.

Baffler, thanks for the pic, but it seems that I don't have any connection in 6, just in 2, 3 & 5. I'll check with reprogramming the CEM, and if that's not an option I'll look into which wire represents dip/full beam etc.

Thanks for all the help, have to say this is a fantastic place, everyone is so helpful!

Cheers,
Andrew.
irishandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 12:23   #10
littlehomer
Master Member

Hi Andrew,

I have the CEM from the car the lights came out of, mine!

So it will operate the twin headlamps.

Get in touch if you'd like it.

Many Thanks,

Daniel
littlehomer is offline   Reply With Quote