Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Poor mpg and performance.

Views : 1027

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2013, 15:49   #1
hiyalove

Default Poor mpg and performance.

After owning a S60 D5 for just under a year I found my mpg drop from around 49 to about 39/41ish and the acceleration was on par with a 1.1 fiesta.
After various failed attempts to fix i.e. using optimax, adding redex, new tyres and a service it turns out it was my airflow meter £60 worth of plastic and 2 screws.The car is now like a rocket and time will tell if my mpg goes up.
I know their has been many threads on poor mpg and performance but its one to keep in mind as for not a lot of money and time 5 minutes at most, it could change your car instantly.
hiyalove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hiyalove For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 16:23   #2
Anadinolin
VOC Member

vauxhal diesels seem to suffer this problem, every 2 years the MAF goes on them. what make is it by the way?
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 16:46   #3
hiyalove

don’t know the make just got it from ek brakes lancaster honestly I can’t beleave what a difference it made the acceleration is now instant and it revs higher before changing gear its geartronic by the way.
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 17:08   #4
Paddler Ed
Volvo Driver Born 'n bred

Location: Armidale, NSW, Australia... home of rust free 240's!

Interesting because our BMW has really dropped off at the moment, even on a good run we're struggling to get back upto the low 50's that we've had in the past.

I may have a chat with our friendly mechanic in the next few days about that...
'05 BMW 320d E46 Touring.GF's car
Paddler Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 19:34   #5
Wiznae
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyalove View Post
After owning a S60 D5 for just under a year I found my mpg drop from around 49 to about 39/41ish and the acceleration was on par with a 1.1 fiesta.
After various failed attempts to fix i.e. using optimax, adding redex, new tyres and a service it turns out it was my airflow meter £60 worth of plastic and 2 screws.The car is now like a rocket and time will tell if my mpg goes up.
I know their has been many threads on poor mpg and performance but its one to keep in mind as for not a lot of money and time 5 minutes at most, it could change your car instantly.
Interesting so how old is your car and how many miles has it knocked up
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 21:53   #6
hiyalove

Its a 05 and has just done 80, 000.
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 22:14   #7
ozwol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddler Ed View Post
Interesting because our BMW has really dropped off at the moment, even on a good run we're struggling to get back upto the low 50's that we've had in the past.

I may have a chat with our friendly mechanic in the next few days about that...
I know nothing about volvos but quite a bit about BM's. Try checking the 2 thermostats (main engine and egr) as they are prone to fail affecting mpg. Also as mentioned above MAF failure can be linked, try unplugging it to see if the car behaves differently.
ozwol is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ozwol For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 20:29   #8
Paddler Ed
Volvo Driver Born 'n bred

Location: Armidale, NSW, Australia... home of rust free 240's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozwol View Post
I know nothing about volvos but quite a bit about BM's. Try checking the 2 thermostats (main engine and egr) as they are prone to fail affecting mpg. Also as mentioned above MAF failure can be linked, try unplugging it to see if the car behaves differently.
Is that right for an E46 320d?

If so based on what you've said I'm thinking it's the thermostats, as it's been struggling to get up to normal temps (middle of the gauge) recently; the only time it did it was when I blocked the kidney's (as such) off with tin foil! Did a 50min run today and rarely was it at the right temp, so I think it's the main thermostat stuck open... may be a quick visit to the garage to see how much he'll charge, and then decide if he's doing it or the GF's Dad (and us) is.

Have a look at our Fuelly, hopefully you can see how the consumption has been trending downwards recently!

Thanks!

As always, it seems to be ask a question on a Volvo Forum and get a helpful answer for a completely different car!!!
'05 BMW 320d E46 Touring.GF's car
Paddler Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 20:48   #9
ozwol

yeah applies to e46's, the egr stat is the quick and cheap fix, if it works great, if not it'll be the main stat which is a good hour and half labour with coolant change. Buy genuine BMW ones as they are guaranteed for a few years then.
ozwol is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ozwol For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 22:02   #10
busta

The best way to check if your air flow meter is faulty is to un plug it and go for a drive. If the performance improves with it unplugged, it's time to replace it. You can also try cleaning them with brake cleaner and a cotton bud, but it's a short term fix and they are delicate little things.
busta is offline   Reply With Quote