Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thinking about a DrivE model....!?

Views : 1782

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2013, 12:54   #1
Roge1

Smile Thinking about a DrivE model....!?

Hey all,

Due to work circumstances I have recently started covering far more miles on a weekly basis than I would care for. I currently, and perhaps fortunately, have both a Mk 1 440 and an 06 S60 D5 that can be used, but despite the D5being the obvious choice (faster, more comfortable etc) it is already costing a fortune in fuel, meaning I am using the 440 most weeks. As I want to take the 440 off the road for a bit and complete some much needed repairs however, I've started looking at the Volvo DrivE range, and wondered if anyone has any experience or advice they could share?

Thanks

Roge1
Roge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 13:45   #2
Backhill1
Master Member

Roge1

Ive had a V50 demonstartor from AC Aberdeen a couple of times with the 1.6 Drive E engine and hated it. No torque and felt like you were revving hard to get on the turbo, much later than a D5.

Now i know this will be getting all town use but the fuel computer was only reading 42mpg and i was getting 46-52 with my D5 V50 at the time.

Also a lot of trouble with Turbos if not serviced correctly and the right oil used, plenty of threads on here but expensive.

Possibly on a long run you might benifit but if you accruing high miles the D5 or 2.0D will take it much better.

I for one was over the moon to get back into my D5 with 140k on it from a 20K drive E. Much tighter and nicer to drive.

You should be getting High 40's on your S60, if youve got a heavy right foot im not sure the Drive E will reward you. A lot of these economy engines are not returning anything like the mileage they profess. Our work use Passats if you opt in and nobody is getting more than 52 with the 2.0 (blue motion) engine.

I think you will need to do about 100K in fuel to make up any difference in fuel savings, i would just run the s60 and enjoy it.
Backhill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Backhill1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 13:54   #3
Blandy15

When we had a puncture on are XC60 whole world of pain with tin of goo and no spare, we ended up with a 1.6 eco astra and that was only doing the same MPG as my D5 AWD Auto because you had to thrash the life out of it to get it to move.Overtaking and pulling out from junctions felt dangerous.
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 14:22   #4
S70 B5254T
☭Nick☭

Take a test drive and decide for yourself. If you want to get from A to B with good economy, I'm sure they're an excellent choice; however, if you're used to (or expect) D5 power, then you'll always be disappointed.
I had a D2 as a loan car and found it to be more than adequate for necessary & well-judged overtakes below 70mph.

Volvo have sold a lot of both the 1.6 and the 2.0 diesels so the law of averages says that some owners of both types will report problems. The 2.0 unit has had more than it's fair share of detractors amongst the ranks of Ford, Jag and Volvo owners, and that was long before DPFs were introduced.

1998 Volvo S70 CD 2.5T 20 valve (B5254T)
Community First Responder transport & Daily Driver
previously...1994 Volvo 854 SE 2.0 20 valve "L411XCC" &
1999 Volvo S40 2.0T SE "T283LTW"
S70 B5254T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S70 B5254T For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 15:10   #5
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 854 1984cc 20v View Post
Take a test drive and decide for yourself. If you want to get from A to B with good economy, I'm sure they're an excellent choice; however, if you're used to (or expect) D5 power, then you'll always be disappointed.
I had a D2 as a loan car and found it to be more than adequate for necessary & well-judged overtakes below 70mph.

Volvo have sold a lot of both the 1.6 and the 2.0 diesels so the law of averages says that some owners of both types will report problems. The 2.0 unit has had more than it's fair share of detractors amongst the ranks of Ford, Jag and Volvo owners, and that was long before DPFs were introduced.
Excellent piece of advice, I have driven a D2 for a reasonable distance around 100 continuous miles I was impressed overall. It did not have the same gusto as the 2.0D but it was fine if sensible. Never really found it lacking at all.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 17:42   #6
steadvex
Master Member

if you were covering a lot of motorway miles i'd find it hard to imagine anything beating the s60 d5 provided your sticking to the speed limit and not agressive with the throttle...

I have a s60 d5 and a fiat punto 1.3 diesel, I find on the motorway the s60 uses so much less fuel its not even funny...around town is another story mind.

Saying that it is easier said than done not using the power
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steadvex For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 18:06   #7
ozwol

My wife had a 345bhp Remapped Bmw 335d and p/x'd it for a New v60 d2. Yes the D2 is lacking in power but i think its great to drive and for everyday use i dont miss the extra 230bhp. In and around town the engines great and pulls fine. Mpg is lower than expected but on a motorway run with kids n dogs in tow it will do 50mpg so i'm happy. The only time i'm slightly dissapointed is when i put my foot down on the motorway and it does. . . . . . . . . nothing.
ozwol is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ozwol For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 18:17   #8
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozwol View Post
My wife had a 345bhp Remapped Bmw 335d and p/x'd it for a New v60 d2. Yes the D2 is lacking in power but i think its great to drive and for everyday use i dont miss the extra 230bhp. In and around town the engines great and pulls fine. Mpg is lower than expected but on a motorway run with kids n dogs in tow it will do 50mpg so i'm happy. The only time i'm slightly dissapointed is when i put my foot down on the motorway and it does. . . . . . . . . nothing.
Saves your licence though.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 19:11   #9
volvorocks
Rodney

1.6 D manual S40 is fine, not a powerhouse, but moves along nicely once moving. At 3 years old no reeal faults apart from a boot lid that would not close and the air con condenser. Same for D2 S60. Bit of a slug to start off but again goes nicely once moving. Avoid an auto D2 or 1.6. Terrible gearbox, although fuel is around the 45mpg in normal everyday driving.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 19:47   #10
green van man
Premier Member

OK 1.6 does 45mpg but I am getting 47mpg from my phase 1 V70 with 184,000 miles on the clock in urban running, motorway I can get 53mpg towing caravan 33 mpg from the 2.5 liter D5 lump and can use all the 140 bhp if needed.

Had a petrol S40 for 3 months was happy to loose £1000 on it to see the back of it, realy hated that car despite it being fully loaded ex demo with only 1 previous owner. Best I ever got from it was 40mpg and that driveing like a nun, if you wanted to get anywhere it had to be thrashed unmercifuly and you were lucky to see 29 mpg.

If it were me I would stick with the D5 and moderate your driveing to conseve the fuel a bit.

Regards Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: