Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Weak Headlights - Contact Volvo

Views : 60675

Replies : 293

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2010, 17:09   #11
civilservant

Thanks Harvey - email sent!
civilservant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 21:28   #12
cookie
Lord B on T5D5.org

similar to focus headlights that are equally bad, my 460 has way better headlights than a 55 plate focus
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 17:00   #13
Viper_7
Premier Member

Well I think Volvo have it right by accident or by design.

Lights on vehicles are getting stupid.. There are more posts due to being blinded by overly bright headlights than those that are "too dim"

If it's not possible to use main beam then slow down. Hurtling around in winter on "lanes" is just idiotic imo, it's not a rally track.

So rather than driving to the conditions lets put some extra lights on the front so I can go faster, blinding any poor sod coming the other way and not being able to avoid any obstacle which no matter how good your lights are you'll still hit it.
They might not be blinding head on but they are are on corners, especially now new lights look around the corners to ensure they hit the oncoming driver square in the face!

While we are at it, lets keep the fog lights on too!
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 17:13   #14
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper_7 View Post
Well I think Volvo have it right by accident or by design.

Lights on vehicles are getting stupid.. There are more posts due to being blinded by overly bright headlights than those that are "too dim"

If it's not possible to use main beam then slow down. Hurtling around in winter on "lanes" is just idiotic imo, it's not a rally track.

So rather than driving to the conditions lets put some extra lights on the front so I can go faster, blinding any poor sod coming the other way and not being able to avoid any obstacle which no matter how good your lights are you'll still hit it.
They might not be blinding head on but they are are on corners, especially now new lights look around the corners to ensure they hit the oncoming driver square in the face!

While we are at it, lets keep the fog lights on too!
Have you been out in the snow too long? Shall we go through this again, slowly this time. We are NOT looking for Bi-Xenons, HID's, Bright Blue lights, 10 lights on the front bonnet, front fogs on permanently etc. We just want to see a respectable distance in front of the car we are driving. Not Blackpool Illuminations, just a safe, clear, non glaring light. This is not a thread calling for universal Bi-Xenons.

I assume you have had a bad experience from a boy racer at some stage but please don't lump the rest of us in this bracket. We want SAFE lights for us as the driver and for other car drivers coming towards us.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 23:35   #15
Viper_7
Premier Member

"The lanes I drive on still have occasional other cars on so I can't use the otherwise excellent full beam as much as I would like. If I could use them all the time then there would be no problem.

I don't drive quickly, especially in this current weather, but I expect to be able to go over 40mph safely. I don't need 1 million watts.
"

You wish to drive faster on unlit lanes in the current poor weather conditions.
So, somehow increasing the light level gives you that extra confidence to go faster on roads and conditions where one should be slowing down, not speeding up.

You are happy with full beam - so use it when available.

Not suggesting you're looking at adding 1 million watts, and my comments were general not personal, just saying the answer these days seems to be to increase light levels, and for me and many others it causes more issues than it solves.
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 23:55   #16
civilservant

Viper 7

You're missing the point. A number of us find the lights performing poorly, whilst on the other hand some have no problems. However, Harvey has kindly provided us with contact details for those of us who wishes to complain. This is not a thread for debating whether the lighst are good or poor - those of us who find the lights poor, do not want silly comments such as we need to slow down. What foundations are there to make such unfounded accusations about people's driving style?

Meanwhile, I'm thankful for Harvey in providing contact details. The more of us who complain, the more likely Volvo will take a look at the headlight design. For those who have no problem with the lights, you are extremely lucky and long may you have pleasure in driving with good visibility whilst the rest of us are petrified!
civilservant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to civilservant For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 18:12   #17
Team Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyt66 View Post
Hi all

I have a 59 plate V50 and find the headlights to be fine - certainly no worse than the VW Golf i had previously or my wifes Toyota MR2. I do around 60 miles a day on unlit country roads. Maybe the problem is now sorted?

Sean
Sean,

I to have a 59 plate V50 and the headlights are shocking, a lot worse than my old VW Golf Plus and Tiguan.

I travel around 800 mile a week on unlit roads, mainly early mornings and late in the day, both on country & A & B roads like the A14, A 11 & A46. The high beam is one of the best I have had on a car, but when you switch from high beam to low on an unlit road it is quite scary when all of a sudden your field of view is so small. I cannot wait for BST.

TL.
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 00:02   #18
seanyt66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post
Sean,

I to have a 59 plate V50 and the headlights are shocking, a lot worse than my old VW Golf Plus and Tiguan.

I travel around 800 mile a week on unlit roads, mainly early mornings and late in the day, both on country & A & B roads like the A14, A 11 & A46. The high beam is one of the best I have had on a car, but when you switch from high beam to low on an unlit road it is quite scary when all of a sudden your field of view is so small. I cannot wait for BST.

TL.
TL

This must only be a problem on some cars then. I drive a company car and have had a Citroen C5, followed by a Golf mk5 and now a V50. Over the course of about the last 5 years a have also driven a lot of hire cars including Fords, Audis etc and would consider the V50 dipped to be as good as anything!

Sean
seanyt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 19:57   #19
vjck_uk
Premier member

Default lights

my 98 phase one v40 has awful headlights,i drove down the main road after coming out of the west brom football ground ,it was 7 ish and dark but with street lights,i could not see my dipped beams at all in the dark bits and and was concerned they weren't on at all ,it was only when pulled up behind another car in traffic i saw them.
My old 88 240 lights were miles better as are the ones on my latest toy a 95 960,i'm amazed they ever made the phase ones with such awful lights and surely they cant have passed the so called stringent safety regulations in sweden
oh by the way i eat plenty of carrots
vjck_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 20:06   #20
vjck_uk
Premier member

Ive just sent my email complaining to Volvo ,thanks for the link
vjck_uk is offline   Reply With Quote