Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 185 (2009) - MAP sensor fault?

Views : 9298

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 31st, 2020, 07:30   #11
Stu B
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTek View Post
Can you plot a graph of the MAP sensor for a before and after for the forum if it is even possible to graph it? This would help any future diagnosis for people with the same issue.
I’m not sure it’s possible to graph it to be honest, do you mean in terms of the MAP sensor output for pressure and temp with a good sensor vs a failing one?
Old Aug 31st, 2020, 07:35   #12
Stu B
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyjim View Post
Hello Stu,

Another thing to check is the TMAP temperature and compare to the MAF sensor temp, as i have literally just replaced one of these that had failed and it was reading 80c all the time without throwing faults. As soon as I replaced it, it was then reading the same as the MAF.

If you're interested, this is the part I fitted, direct fit, worked perfectly https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251892996537

Cheers
Thanks, Jim - I had a look at the TMAP temps when I was messing around with VIDA the other day and mine seemed to say it was 23c but I must admit I couldn’t find the MAF temp to compare it to. I will have another go when I get chance, given it keeps throwing up this error and EML I’m reasonably sure it’s knackered.

However, as the part you linked to looks correct I’ve ordered it and will report back when it arrives. Much appreciated!

Stu
Old Sep 4th, 2020, 19:05   #13
Stu B
Master Member

Just to update, I've used the car a bit more since I last posted and sure enough after me saying it didn't drive any differently with a fault MAP sensor... on Monday just gone, it decided to have no turbo boost at all! This persisted for a few days (it drives ok without turbo to be honest but obviously less accelerative!) so when the new Bosch MAP sensor Jim had linked to arrived I thought I better fit it.

I took a few photos I can post at a later date of me fiddling around getting the old one out and the new one in, but a check with Vida afterwards revealed all was well, I reset the DTCs and we have boost again! MAF and MAP sensor temps are now in sync and the EML has stayed out on a few short drives. Fingers crossed that's it sorted for £35.

Thanks again,
Stu
Old Sep 6th, 2020, 18:28   #14
Rids666

Glad it worked for you

Previously: Volvo V70 D5 mk3 07 silver manual 156k RIP
Rids666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rids666 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2020, 19:47   #15
WoodyV70

I've had this same problem recently on my 2008 2.4D V70.

Stopped at a petrol station briefly and when pulling back onto the main road there was no boost at all. Strangely though, no EML or fault codes thrown up either. Engine on and off again and worked fine.

Fast forward a few weeks and I get an EML but no faults to go with it, car still driving as it should with perhaps a slightly lumpy idle.

Plugged in and shows both the fault code you've reported. I've got a new Bosch MAP sensor waiting to go on, but the light hasn't been back on since last week.
WoodyV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WoodyV70 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2020, 17:09   #16
WoodyV70

Plugged in again today, EML back on, MAP sensor live data is showing 111kPa at idle and changes with boost, so appears to be working okay.
Old Sep 10th, 2020, 19:03   #17
Stu B
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyV70 View Post
Plugged in again today, EML back on, MAP sensor live data is showing 111kPa at idle and changes with boost, so appears to be working okay.
Is the MAP (well TMAP) showing a suitable intake air temp which is similar to that which the MAF shows? It could be happy with pressure but not temp?

Thanks
Stu
Old Sep 11th, 2020, 19:19   #18
WoodyV70

I only had pressure with the diagnostics I was using, will plug in the other tomorrow and see if I can find temp too. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to WoodyV70 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 19:46   #19
Workinghprs

Stu, any tips for removing the boost sensor?
Workinghprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 14:52   #20
AMac11

Hi guys ive got all the symptoms you've described above, did just replacing the sensor fix it all? i was going to strip and clean the throttle body as i've read somewhere that may also cause the issue? any help appreciated
AMac11 is offline   Reply With Quote