Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 buying advice?

Views : 3922

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2020, 11:13   #41
apersson850
Premier Member

The hardened angular gear on these models have given far less problems than on the previous model. But then there's talk about the rear gear, which is something else.

Noisy suspension in the front is usually the McPherson struts. From the back, it could be the multi-link axis bushings, in the front of the axis. I had to replace mine (310000 km).

The aux belt should be replaced every 90000 km.

The XC70 diesels aren't sport cars. But they pick up speed pretty well anyway. That's true for both the 181 hp D4 and the 230 hp D5 we have.
But their main advantage shows up when towing heavier loads, like our 1700+ kg caravan.

The suspension is very far from for example the 850 Turbo I had before. But it's comfortable on bad roads.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 17:33   #42
Hallsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Phone Mill Volvo and find out when it was done. They'll tell you that.
I tried that, but they said they couldn't give me service history details without proof of ownership.
Hallsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 18:10   #43
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy View Post
I tried that, but they said they couldn't give me service history details without proof of ownership.
That's bloody stupid, and not, IME, the Volvo way - they wouldn't tell me any 'extras' that had been done over and above routine servicing, but they were very happy to tell me at which service the belts had been done.

Knowledge of GDPR rules and what can/cannot be disclosed is variable out there, with 'no' increasingly the default, sadly, even when not justified.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 22:52   #44
george57l
George

Quote:
Phone your local Volvo dealer, tell them you are thinking of buying it and would bring it to them for servicing, and see if they can look it up and tell you. Or Volvo UK may help. Worth a try.
george57l is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to george57l For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 23:02   #45
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
My local dealership wouldn't give me the details even with proof of ownership! All they could tell me was the date a service was done & the mileage, no specifics as such. This tallied up with all the stamps/dates in the book, but I had no way of finding out exactly what was done on x date.

Its a shame the supporting paperwork that the previous owner presumably had showing what was done on each service wasn't kept in the service book (I bought my car from a non-Volvo garage, not privately)... So I have a service book full of Volvo stamps, but nothing to show what was actually done.

I can only presume either the service paperwork was lost, or simply not kept in the car due to names/contact info possibly being printed on the documents. Although, one could say that he/she could have scribbled personal info out & still passed the documents on when the vehicle was sold (if he/she still had it).

If you do buy the car, then maybe Mill Volvo will entertain your request for the service records, but don't be surprised if they don't either! A key thing to remember is just because the car has full Volvo service history, it doesn't necessarily mean that all items were replaced. A car could have had a service each year at the dealership with a stamp in the book to show it, but as many items are optional nowadays, the previous owner could have told them not to replace x item(s) & just service the car. The dealership will still put their stamp in the book though, so you may presume that something has been done because the dealership did the work, but it may not have been because the customer told them not to. Volvo recommend replacement of items at x amount of miles or years, but that doesn't mean they were done.

Worst case scenario would be that you may have to get the aux belt replaced yourself, if they won't provide service records or tell you verbally that it hasn't been replaced. A belt is certainly cheaper than a new engine, so I wouldn't take the risk personally, even if it does cost you to have it done. Although, you could specify that you want the aux belt changed as part of the deal (if it hasn't been changed)? I'm sure they'd come to some arrangement, as opposed to losing the sale of the car.

If you find out the aux belt has been changed though, then that's even better.

Last edited by Kev0607; Nov 18th, 2020 at 23:12.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 13:33   #46
Bulleidboy

I've had my late 2010 XC70 D5 (205) SE for four years now - I bought it from a main dealer in 2016 - it came with twelve months warranty and had done 50k miles and one lady owner, and I'm very happy with it. It was my first diesel, having just parted with a 960 - which I had owned for twenty four years. I've never get less than 30mpg - most of my driving is local - very few long journeys. The car is currently (right now) at the Volvo dealership in Winchester having the seat belt recall dealt with - they will also upgraded the normal software - not Polestar. I use an independent Volvo garage for my annual servicing. I would certainly buy another - great car.

Last edited by Bulleidboy; Nov 19th, 2020 at 15:11.
Bulleidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bulleidboy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 21:38   #47
Hallsy

Well the deal is almost done!

I have factored in aux belt and tensioner replacement, just to be sure.

I do need to find a load cover though - I assume V70 and XC70 are the same?
Hallsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 23:18   #48
george57l
George

The load covers are the same. Which year/model are you buying, again? I have a spare load cover which came from a 2012 XC70. PM me if interested.
george57l is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to george57l For This Useful Post: