Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 163 Chucking coolant out

Views : 601

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2020, 12:13   #1
Sebastienclement

Default D5 163 Chucking coolant out

Hi all,

I've got a problem with my 163 D5 in an XC70 that I have been trying to investigate today. The car has been losing coolant rapidly and the low coolant warning has been coming on. This happens rapidly - certainly within 30 miles (my commuting distance) when the coolant has been at Max before setting off.

Things I have observed today...
  • Top and bottom hoses both get hot
  • Heater blows hot (although it gets hotter when revved)
  • When running with the coolant cap off, the water level drops slightly when revved (I've read this is an indicator that the water pump is good).
  • I couldn't get the fan to kick in at all, despite holding the revs at a sustained level for 30 minutes - the fan kicks in immediately if I unplug the coolant temp sensor - so I assume the car is not overheating, and the coolant system is coping just fine.
  • No steam from the exhaust
  • No exhaust / diesely smells from the coolant

The main issue that I have, is when the car is up to temperature, and then put under load the coolant level rises to the top of the tank and will begin to flow out through the coolant cap. Once the revs drop, so does the level and gets a bit lower each time eventually resulting in the low coolant warning illuminating. Could this be as simple as a faulty pressure cap?

I can't see anything pointing to head gasket, but I can't also see any obvious reasons why the level would rise so much (from the max mark to overflowing) when revved.

Any ideas?
Sebastienclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 14:23   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastienclement View Post
Hi all,

I've got a problem with my 163 D5 in an XC70 that I have been trying to investigate today. The car has been losing coolant rapidly and the low coolant warning has been coming on. This happens rapidly - certainly within 30 miles (my commuting distance) when the coolant has been at Max before setting off.

Things I have observed today...
  • Top and bottom hoses both get hot
  • Heater blows hot (although it gets hotter when revved)
  • When running with the coolant cap off, the water level drops slightly when revved (I've read this is an indicator that the water pump is good).
  • I couldn't get the fan to kick in at all, despite holding the revs at a sustained level for 30 minutes - the fan kicks in immediately if I unplug the coolant temp sensor - so I assume the car is not overheating, and the coolant system is coping just fine.
  • No steam from the exhaust
  • No exhaust / diesely smells from the coolant

The main issue that I have, is when the car is up to temperature, and then put under load the coolant level rises to the top of the tank and will begin to flow out through the coolant cap. Once the revs drop, so does the level and gets a bit lower each time eventually resulting in the low coolant warning illuminating. Could this be as simple as a faulty pressure cap?

I can't see anything pointing to head gasket, but I can't also see any obvious reasons why the level would rise so much (from the max mark to overflowing) when revved.

Any ideas?
cracked cylinder liner ? Head gasket is a multi layer stainless steel device so doesnt "blow" unless the head or block are damaged .
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 16:46   #3
Sebastienclement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
cracked cylinder liner ? Head gasket is a multi layer stainless steel device so doesnt "blow" unless the head or block are damaged .
I can't see it to be honest... No oil and water mixing, no fumes smell in the coolant, no power loss, starts easily, no smoke or steam...
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 17:55   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Flip the seal inside the expansion tank cap and and see if that helps.
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 09:02   #5
damageandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Flip the seal inside the expansion tank cap and and see if that helps.
Agree.

A dodgy cap can give all sorts of 'headgasket' associated symptoms.
damageandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 13:35   #6
Sebastienclement

Okay, I've had some time to look at this today. I'm still a bit baffled.

I've replaced the coolant cap with a brand new one - this has made a significant difference. Before when removing the coolant cap, there was never pressure in the system. There is now!

Took the car out for a run, and 8 miles in I got the low coolant warning again. I stopped, undid the cap and the coolant rose slightly, topped it back up, ran the engine at fast idle until the level settled, cap on and off we went. I haven't had the low coolant warning since this.

Once back home on the drive & idling, the coolant level would suddenly begin to lower and take around 20 seconds to go from max to min. I topped up again and it hasn't dropped since then - perhaps a significant airlock that I've finally shifted?

One concerning thing is there is a 'stream' of something, whether it's small bubbles or I can just see coolant flowing, from the hose at the bottom of the expansion tank (power steering reservoir moved out of the way). It seem to rise up to the top of the tank - this concerns me as Google tells me that's head gasket...
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 13:43   #7
Sebastienclement

Here's a link to a video of what I'm talking about...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AQfP3bTQhsyhNrt6A
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 13:44   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Okay, I've had some time to look at this today. I'm still a bit baffled.

I've replaced the coolant cap with a brand new one - this has made a significant difference. Before when removing the coolant cap, there was never pressure in the system. There is now!

Took the car out for a run, and 8 miles in I got the low coolant warning again. I stopped, undid the cap and the coolant rose slightly, topped it back up, ran the engine at fast idle until the level settled, cap on and off we went. I haven't had the low coolant warning since this.

Once back home on the drive & idling, the coolant level would suddenly begin to lower and take around 20 seconds to go from max to min. I topped up again and it hasn't dropped since then - perhaps a significant airlock that I've finally shifted?

One concerning thing is there is a 'stream' of something, whether it's small bubbles or I can just see coolant flowing, from the hose at the bottom of the expansion tank (power steering reservoir moved out of the way). It seem to rise up to the top of the tank - this concerns me as Google tells me that's head gasket...
there should be coolant flow from that thin bleed pipe on the bottle oy is from to top of the radiator , bubbles in that do mean a combustion gas leak in the engine somewhere ..
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 13:46   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Here's a link to a video of what I'm talking about...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AQfP3bTQhsyhNrt6A
looks like bubbles to me , what do you think as you are actually there ?
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 19:44   #10
damageandy

Sniffer test to confirm, you can get the for about a fiver.
damageandy is offline   Reply With Quote