Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Blower resistor issue

Views : 1669

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2020, 13:18   #1
Loubeaga

Unhappy Blower resistor issue

Can anybody shed some light on this one. I’m new to the forum and new to being a Volvo owner. I have a 2011 s60 d3. The other day I turned on my cabin heater and by time I got to my destination and switched off my engine the fan was still blowing, even when I was out of the car with key and car locked it was still blowing away at almost full blast. I have had to have the fan motor disconnected so as not kill the battery. I’ve finally got in to a garage and the have told me the resistor blow needs replacing at a cost of £300 but that may not be the only thing it may not fix the issue. I just want to see if anybody else has experienced this or knows of any other alternatives as it isn’t a cheap fix and having been made redundant isn’t the best times. But not having owned a car for a while as I had a company car I’m not sure if I’m just out of touch with the costs of things these days
Loubeaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 01:34   #2
ridax

It sound like it is the blower "resistor" and I would be surprised if changing it wouldn't help. A new resistor/regulator costs around £50 and you can change it yourself with standard tools, mat knife, a kot of patience and wife's hands.

It is above/behind the gas pedal and it is uncomfortable and very narrow for the hand, so next time my V60 needs a new regulator it will go to the garage if I can't convince wife only her small hands can solve it.
ridax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 10:59   #3
Loubeaga

Thank you for giving me an option I will see if this is something I can do. This was what the garage I took it to were going to do and charge me £400
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 20:25   #4
ridax

I didn't think of that it is a uk forum and the pedals are on the right side, so I would assume that the resistor is on the right at the passenger side (just think where the pedal should be if driving from the other side). I think it would be a lot easier to do this job on a uk car, as you have much more space.
ridax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 12:41   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loubeaga View Post
Can anybody shed some light on this one. I’m new to the forum and new to being a Volvo owner. I have a 2011 s60 d3. The other day I turned on my cabin heater and by time I got to my destination and switched off my engine the fan was still blowing, even when I was out of the car with key and car locked it was still blowing away at almost full blast. I have had to have the fan motor disconnected so as not kill the battery. I’ve finally got in to a garage and the have told me the resistor blow needs replacing at a cost of £300 but that may not be the only thing it may not fix the issue. I just want to see if anybody else has experienced this or knows of any other alternatives as it isn’t a cheap fix and having been made redundant isn’t the best times. But not having owned a car for a while as I had a company car I’m not sure if I’m just out of touch with the costs of things these days
I would take it to a garage who can diagnose it properly!!
Old Nov 28th, 2020, 10:46   #6
Loubeaga

I took it to a garage and they diagnosed it as the resistor blower and then told me that it may not fix the issue though. Which was why I wanted to see if anyone had any advice to offer. I would normally trust a mechanics word but something just didn’t feel right when they were discussing it with me and it was a gut feeling. Plus looking at it now they price of the part was inflated massively too. I’ve since located it and sorted it out myself for half the price and no labour cost. Cheers for the input.
Old Nov 29th, 2020, 09:53   #7
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loubeaga View Post
I took it to a garage and they diagnosed it as the resistor blower and then told me that it may not fix the issue though. Which was why I wanted to see if anyone had any advice to offer. I would normally trust a mechanics word but something just didn’t feel right when they were discussing it with me and it was a gut feeling. Plus looking at it now they price of the part was inflated massively too. I’ve since located it and sorted it out myself for half the price and no labour cost. Cheers for the input.
So how did you do it?
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 14:13   #8
YR61KXY

Default v60 2011 heater resistor fuse

having issue with the heater resistor in a v60 2012

is there a fuse that can be removed as having to disconnect battery to prevent it from going flat

i looked at the fuse box under the fuse box in the engine compartment but there wasn`t the 40amp fuse i expected

any info would be appreciated as wont be able to fix for a couple of weeks
YR61KXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 22:05   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR61KXY View Post
having issue with the heater resistor in a v60 2012

is there a fuse that can be removed as having to disconnect battery to prevent it from going flat

i looked at the fuse box under the fuse box in the engine compartment but there wasn`t the 40amp fuse i expected

any info would be appreciated as wont be able to fix for a couple of weeks
It isn't a Resistor it's an Electronic speed controller ...
Fuse 11 in the underbonnet Fuse Box ...
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 19:36   #10
YR61KXY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It isn't a Resistor it's an Electronic speed controller ...
Fuse 11 in the underbonnet Fuse Box ...

Hi thanks for reply , Is there a chance this is different if it has climate control too , as there is no fuse in 11 , and I haven't removed it owned car for 9 years plus its not straight forward to get to that fuse
YR61KXY is offline   Reply With Quote