Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alarms V30

Views : 385

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2020, 20:26   #1
Keith Handley

Default Alarms V30

Good day Gentlemen
My daughters C30 SD 2009 developed an electric problem a few weeks ago, diagnosed as the ECU at fault, the alarms showing and flashing are the AntiSkid, ABS and brakes. also the wipers tend to come on erratically?
I removed the ECU and sent for testing and it came back as 'no faults found'.
Today, i refitted the ECU, started the car and let it run for ten minutes, all seemed ok, then I took the revs to 2200 and suddenly everything started flashing again. I took the revs a little higher then removed my foot from pedal and for a fraction the revs still increased.
Once revs back to tickover the alarms disappeared.
Another thing I noticed is the LCD readout, for radio etc is flickering, even at tickover, increasing revs makes no difference.
My suspicion is the increased engine revs cause vibration and maybe a loose connection is causing problem.
Any ideas would be welcome?
Thank you in advance gentlemen
Keith Handley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 20:36   #2
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Handley View Post
Good day Gentlemen
My daughters C30 SD 2009 developed an electric problem a few weeks ago, diagnosed as the ECU at fault, the alarms showing and flashing are the AntiSkid, ABS and brakes. also the wipers tend to come on erratically?
Today, i refitted the ECU, started the car and let it run for ten minutes, all seemed ok, then I took the revs to 2200 and suddenly everything started flashing again. I took the revs a little higher then removed my foot from pedal and for a fraction the revs still increased.
Another thing I noticed is the LCD readout, for radio etc is flickering, even at tickover, increasing revs makes no difference.
My suspicion is the increased engine revs cause vibration and maybe a loose connection is causing problem.
do a search on here. The CEM is prone loose or coroded connections. Also, there are issues with water damage on some cars. Basically you disonnect and clean up the CEM connectors u der glove box footwell. Follow the procedures described on here though so you don't make it worse. it requires disconnecting battery etc.

There have been instances of people causing electrical damage to the wiper circuit by fitting dodgy LED bulbs, so that may be related. If you get issues as revs rise and vibration, it could be a misfire, bad plug, injector, engine mount... bad pulley and aux belt, bad alternator... impossible to diagnose on a forum.

check CEM connections, check fuse box and wires (wheel well by front bumper), check car battery is good. check alternator is good. If all this is fine, doesnt help, you will need VOLVO to connect up for proper diagnostics. there are lots of modules and computers in these cars and you need a VIDA diagnostic to find out which one is the culprit
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lockstock For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2020, 11:19   #3
MDS40

Have to agree, sounds like the usual CEM problems.
I had very similar last year.

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MDS40 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 14:04   #4
Keith Handley

Default THanks

Sorry for the late reply, your input is much appreciated, today is fault finding day (again)
Keith Handley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 20:06   #5
gmh1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Handley View Post
Good day Gentlemen
I just bought a 2009 C30, it has similar issues to this.
When the engine is running the following happens, but is much worse whilst accelerating;
- Electrics (radio / AC etc) flick on and off randomly
- Random warning lights on the dash (ABS, Anti-skid, SRS, Battery)
- "EL Current High" message

I took my CEM off and cleaned the terminals but this didn't work.

I've just (today) had my alternator replaced as it was overcharging at 17v, the mechanic said this needed replacing but wasn’t the cause of the issues and to expect the issues to return. He said it might be a relay or something short-circuiting, which is also killing my alternator. Maybe yours is something similar?
gmh1995 is offline   Reply With Quote