Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 1774559

Replies : 4083

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2020, 17:52   #2101
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Default Two Sets of Different Wheels

You have got a good idea in having different design wheels for winter and summer tyres. That gives you an obvious visual difference, reducing the chance of mxing summer and winter tyres fitted at any one time. And by the way, what are you doing as regards a or the spare?

Comrade Stephen Edwin

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2020, 18:34   #2102
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Default Tyre pressure ... and understeer

I had not known that tyre pressure would be relevant to understeer, or I had forgotten ...

David is CORRECT that one should check tyre pressures oneself.

Volvo specify different pressures according to load, and front v. rear and if I remember correctly, according to speed.

Interweb "wisdom" says under steer can sometimes be tyre pressure corrected by varying front v. rear pressures.

I am cautious of interweb wisdom including frums. One learn in whom to trust ...

Comrade Stephen Edwin

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Nov 28th, 2020 at 18:39.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2020, 20:52   #2103
davidcheshire
VOC Member

Default Tyre pressures 15" wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I've been running the 195/65R15 (both summer and winter) tyres on the RB at 27 PSI, that being the recommendation for the closest size I can find for the RB (185/70R14) It occurs to me that the tyre I'm using is 5% wider than the 185, so perhaps I should be reducing the pressure by 5% - so say 25 PSI?

There must be plenty of other 244 or 240 saloon owners out there with 15" wheels, what pressure do you use?

Alan
The manual for my 1984 240GLT has pressures for 14" and 15" wheels. The 15" tyre is 195/60R15 (as distinct from your 195/65R15) and the pressures are: 1-3 occupants front 26psi, rear 27psi, and with a full load front 27psi, rear 32psi. These figures are for GLE, GLT and Turbo.

David.
davidcheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidcheshire For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2020, 07:24   #2104
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Have you checked the pressures in them Alan? If you're going on the tyre place inflating them to 27 psi, they could have put more in for any number of reasons.
I check them myself Dave - with a digital TPG which seems quite precise; I have a compressor here for inflating them also.

Alan
Old Nov 29th, 2020, 07:28   #2105
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcheshire View Post
The manual for my 1984 240GLT has pressures for 14" and 15" wheels. The 15" tyre is 195/60R15 (as distinct from your 195/65R15) and the pressures are: 1-3 occupants front 26psi, rear 27psi, and with a full load front 27psi, rear 32psi. These figures are for GLE, GLT and Turbo.

David.
Thank you David,
That is exactly what I was after (and what I rather suspected) for 195 width tyres - I'll try 26 PSI front and leave the rears at 27 PSI next week - and I suspect that will make things braw and cozy.
Alan

Last edited by Othen; Nov 29th, 2020 at 07:30. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2020, 10:48   #2106
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Tyre pressures

Many years ago this topic was discussed on Turbobricks; the general consensus was to start with 32psi all round and vary the pressures from there to suit your driving style/tyre wear/ride-handling compromise preferences.

I run the Valdez, on 195/65s, at 32psi all round, though it's a 940 estate but did likewise with the GLT when it was operational.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2020, 11:53   #2107
Othen
Premier Member

Nothing much to report on the RB since I fitted the Pholus wheels (25 November I think) and winter tyres, mainly because in the wintry weather it as always made more sense to use the Skoda Superb estate. I was in no rush this morn though, so I took the RB out for a spin down to the local Aldi store for a few groceries and home via a roundabout country route (maybe 8-10 miles total).
Having been unused for over a week I was quite impressed with the RB: it started instantly and warmed up quickly. Unlike the Skoda and the Porsche of course it does not have a heated windscreen, so I had to find it a scraper and some spray (the windscreen had frozen on the inside as well - hard frost last night).
I was pleased to find the RB's heater is really good, and the engine warms up quickly with the electric fan arrangement I fitted earlier in the year. The winter tyres are really good, I deliberately came back on some minor roads around Pipewell that were still frozen and the car was very sure footed. They were a good investment.
So, a good outcome for a car that has been standing for nearly two weeks: everything works the way it is supposed to, there were no funny noises (well, apart from the normal 40 years old car creaks and groans) and no spurious warning lights (not that the RB really has many anyway).
:-)

Last edited by Othen; Dec 6th, 2020 at 12:12. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2020, 12:28   #2108
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Nothing much to report on the RB since I fitted the Pholus wheels (25 November I think) and winter tyres, mainly because in the wintry weather it as always made more sense to use the Skoda Superb estate. I was in no rush this morn though, so I took the RB out for a spin down to the local Aldi store for a few groceries and home via a roundabout country route (maybe 8-10 miles total).
Having been unused for over a week I was quite impressed with the RB: it started instantly and warmed up quickly. Unlike the Skoda and the Porsche of course it does not have a heated windscreen, so I had to find it a scraper and some spray (the windscreen had frozen on the inside as well - hard frost last night).
I was pleased to find the RB's heater is really good, and the engine warms up quickly with the electric fan arrangement I fitted earlier in the year. The winter tyres are really good, I deliberately came back on some minor roads around Pipewell that were still frozen and the car was very sure footed. They were a good investment.
So, a good outcome for a car that has been standing for nearly two weeks: everything works the way it is supposed to, there were no funny noises (well, apart from the normal 40 years old car creaks and groans) and no spurious warning lights (not that the RB really has many anyway).
:-)
Excellent news Alan! I fitted a modified fuel pump relay to mine yesterday with an external switch to prime the system. Went out about 9 ish to defrost/warm the car up and to test the priming function and it works as intended. Fired first pot over the top as it used to before the ECU lost the priming function.

Nice contrast to yours where as long as there is petrol in the carb, pull the choke and turn the key and it fires first pot over the top - the things we have to go through on something more modern!

Pleased to hear the winter tyres are a good investment, wait until all your neighbours are struggling to go anywhere when we get sharper frosts (down to -8C here last night, still -3C when i went to the car earlier) and the roads are like a skating rink then just drive calmly past them in your 40 year old RB!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2020, 13:54   #2109
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Excellent news Alan! I fitted a modified fuel pump relay to mine yesterday with an external switch to prime the system. Went out about 9 ish to defrost/warm the car up and to test the priming function and it works as intended. Fired first pot over the top as it used to before the ECU lost the priming function.

Nice contrast to yours where as long as there is petrol in the carb, pull the choke and turn the key and it fires first pot over the top - the things we have to go through on something more modern!

Pleased to hear the winter tyres are a good investment, wait until all your neighbours are struggling to go anywhere when we get sharper frosts (down to -8C here last night, still -3C when i went to the car earlier) and the roads are like a skating rink then just drive calmly past them in your 40 year old RB!
You are right about the older technology Dave: with no electronic brain to get confused the RB starts up really easily. I think the solid state ignition system probably helps, but there is still something to be said for a single carburettor with a manual choke.

I have winter tyres on the Skoda and the RB, and live at the bottom of a Northerly facing slope. I suspect at least once this winter my cars will be happily on their way whilst some of my neighbours are trying to dig their way out of their drives (that is what happens most years). Yes, I'm happy with the Pholus wheels and winter tyres, they were a good investment and even better, they give me an excuse to run the RB all year rather than SORNing it :-)
Old Dec 6th, 2020, 18:08   #2110
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes, I'm happy with the Pholus wheels and winter tyres, they were a good investment and even better, they give me an excuse to run the RB all year rather than SORNing it :-)
It's what Volvos were built for Alan!

There's a lot to be said for the era your RB was entering, i know it was "modernised" with the Hall Effect triggered ignition but it was "born" at the start of the 80s where we saw significant advancement in ignition and fueling.

However, by the end of the 80s, Bosch seemed to lose their way a bit with their EFi/engine management and created circumstances where the engine had to turn over at least twice before the ignition was triggered. This could often cause an "FTP" - Failure To Proceed - for the simple reason it had flooded itself!
Before that the fuel ECU primed the fuel pumps, as soon as the engine moved there was ignition and hey presto, it fired first pot over the top which is about as good as you get from anything.

Never known why, some have suggested it's so the engine has a couple of turns to build oil pressure but if it's in good condition, oil pressure will be almost instant anyway.

Whichever way you look at it, part of the "golden era" of motoring.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: