Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Questions about my newly acquired 65 plate V60

Views : 2411

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 1st, 2020, 21:49   #1
Yelper85

Default Questions about my newly acquired 65 plate V60

Hi all,

Purchased a 65 plate V60 D4 Lux Nav yesterday and have a few questions having driven it for around 70 miles and reading the user manual.

1. The menu from the left stalk suggest I have auto oil level, however the option is greyed out. Does a 65 plate V60 have auto oil level as standard?

2. If I have a crash, does the onboard car camera store footage that I can access?

3. How many batteries in total does the car have and where are they located plus purpose of each?

4. The position of the wing mirrors in reverse. I was told my the dealer they can't be modified and stored. Is this true?

5. The orange BLIS on the drivers side is on permanently and flashes when indicating even if nothing is there. Why is this? Does it need to go back for repair?

6. Lane keep assist doesn't seem to work. It doesn't warn or complain even though active in the settings. Again, is this a fault?

7. The manual states I can't change the Xenons myself as I have ABL + Auto dip/shadow lights. Is this true? The light is too yellow and I want a bright white light so do I need to purchase the bulbs and get Volvo to fit?

8. What Xenon bulb type is fitted in the V60?

9. There seems to be a separate, main headlight bulb next to the Xenon lamp. What is this bulb for and what fitting is it? Is it a backup should the main Xenon fail?

10. Can I change all interior and exterior bulbs such as footwell, roof and puddle lights in the wing mirror to white LED without causing CANBUS or operational issues?

11. Is it possible to auto apply the handbrake if the key is taken out the ignition? Currently I put it in park but notice the handbrake is not applied automatically which seems crazy.

12. Does the car have an auto hold facility like my old VW Tiguan whereby I can take by foot off the brake one stopped without the engine firing back up and rolling backwards?

13. Why is there no footrest for the right foot?

14. Should the keys not have LEDs on them to show the current status? Mine don't flash or have any indication whereas I read they should. Is this for newer models?

15. I have top-level AA cover with all the bells and whistles, however I've discovered that I get a years roadside assistance with Volvo free of charge with every service. Is the level of cover substandard/same/better than the AA? If I can save some money that would be fantastic!

Cheers for looking

Mitch
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 23:18   #2
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
Hi all,

Purchased a 65 plate V60 D4 Lux Nav yesterday and have a few questions having driven it for around 70 miles and reading the user manual.

1. The menu from the left stalk suggest I have auto oil level, however the option is greyed out. Does a 65 plate V60 have auto oil level as standard?

2. If I have a crash, does the onboard car camera store footage that I can access?

3. How many batteries in total does the car have and where are they located plus purpose of each?

4. The position of the wing mirrors in reverse. I was told my the dealer they can't be modified and stored. Is this true?

5. The orange BLIS on the drivers side is on permanently and flashes when indicating even if nothing is there. Why is this? Does it need to go back for repair?

6. Lane keep assist doesn't seem to work. It doesn't warn or complain even though active in the settings. Again, is this a fault?

7. The manual states I can't change the Xenons myself as I have ABL + Auto dip/shadow lights. Is this true? The light is too yellow and I want a bright white light so do I need to purchase the bulbs and get Volvo to fit?

9. There seems to be a separate, main headlight bulb next to the Xenon lamp. What is this bulb for and what fitting is it? Is it a backup should the main Xenon fail?

10. Can I change all interior and exterior bulbs such as footwell, roof and puddle lights in the wing mirror to white LED without causing CANBUS or operational issues?

11. Is it possible to auto apply the handbrake if the key is taken out the ignition? Currently I put it in park but notice the handbrake is not applied automatically which seems crazy.

12. Does the car have an auto hold facility like my old VW Tiguan whereby I can take by foot off the brake one stopped without the engine firing back up and rolling backwards?

14. Should the keys not have LEDs on them to show the current status? Mine don't flash or have any indication whereas I read they should. Is this for newer models?

15. I have top-level AA cover with all the bells and whistles, however I've discovered that I get a years roadside assistance with Volvo free of charge with every service. Is the level of cover substandard/same/better than the AA? If I can save some money that would be fantastic!

Cheers for looking

Mitch
Nice car but sheesh! A few questions at a time please.

I can say that the car has two batteries. Since you’re not telling us that stop-start isn’t working it sounds like both batteries are ok.

But your BLIS sounds faulty.

As for 11, I doubt it. Also, never come across a car with a foot rest for the right foot other than the accelerator.

Some of your questions might also best be answered by a Volvo dealer. Others such as bulb type will be in the handbook.

Other members might chime in, but that’s a hell of a list of questions to lay before a set of unpaid enthusiasts.

May I also suggest that if you search this forum for yourself then you’ll get a lot of the answers that you need. I’ve found Google to be the best way to search this forum.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sotosound For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 23:27   #3
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Hi all,

Cheers for looking

Mitch
Crikey, you Matlockians are needy.....Can't answer all of those but here is what I can, although your manual does tell you. No really it does. Try the online version. There is a search function.

1. You've not satisfied the operating conditions to allow it to operate. Your manual does explain it - https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...ng-and-filling

2. The collision camera (If that is what you refer to) is not a dashcam.

3. As per manual - 2 if car has stop start function https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...y---start-stop

4. Correct.

5. Probably a fault so discuss with dealer/take it back.

6. As above.

7. I would change them myself, but I'm technically minded. I surmise it is because of the potential for exposure to the high voltage used to ignite the bulbs. Health and safety.

8. Likely to be D1S but check with Volvo parts dept or bulb supplier like Osram, Phillips or Ring.

9. Are you sure you're with the vehicle? A quick pull on the light stalk will show you.

10. Probably. Would you not be better getting laser treatment for your cataracts first?

11. Yes you can. Try it for yourself.... I've driven a few vehicles but none that put the handbrake on because Park is selected. Why would you need that to happen?

12. Can't answer that for a Stop/start vehicle. It does on my non stop/start auto vehicle.

13. Eh?? You'll be wanting a what? Have you had a previous vehicle with such a thing? Is that a VW thing?

14. Has your key got the "i" information symbol. If so then you have the PCC. It's functions are as per the manual - https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...ique-functions

15. In theory yes, it should be better. Never had to use it. I double up with Green flag as I tow a caravan and the Volvo cover doesn't take the van to destination. Cancellation of your AA will be for you to decide really. Leave that with you.

....and in the nicest possible way RTF manual

Last edited by 37 RUBY; Nov 1st, 2020 at 23:47.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 07:40   #4
glynh

Quote:
Hi all,

1. The menu from the left stalk suggest I have auto oil level, however the option is greyed out. Does a 65 plate V60 have auto oil level as standard? : put key in, pres the on button for a few seconds (no foot on clutch) when it starts the option will be available

3. How many batteries in total does the car have and where are they located plus purpose of each? probably 2, mine is a 63 and has 2, probably in the enginebay somewhere

4. The position of the wing mirrors in reverse. I was told my the dealer they can't be modified and stored. Is this true? Mine has a setting to dip mirrors on reverse in the menu options

5. The orange BLIS on the drivers side is on permanently and flashes when indicating even if nothing is there. Why is this? Does it need to go back for repair? No Idea, does it work normally when not indicating?

9. There seems to be a separate, main headlight bulb next to the Xenon lamp. What is this bulb for and what fitting is it? Is it a backup should the main Xenon fail? High beam/flash, but dont use it as thats another bulb for you to want to swap within a couple of days!

10. Can I change all interior and exterior bulbs such as footwell, roof and puddle lights in the wing mirror to white LED without causing CANBUS or operational issues? Probably but need to ensure they do, so probably not ebay specials

11. Is it possible to auto apply the handbrake if the key is taken out the ignition? Currently I put it in park but notice the handbrake is not applied automatically which seems crazy. No - Not had that on any electronic handbrake car

12. Does the car have an auto hold facility like my old VW Tiguan whereby I can take by foot off the brake one stopped without the engine firing back up and rolling backwards? I wish, loved that with my old passat (and the handbrake light was green on autohold and red on full hold!)

13. Why is there no footrest for the right foot? It is only in the 'Sleep pack', includes volvo branded eye mask and auto dimming glass all round

14. Should the keys not have LEDs on them to show the current status? Mine don't flash or have any indication whereas I read they should. Is this for newer models? Only models with a specific config has that

Mitch
for reference mine is a V60 63 plate SE LUX
glynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 07:43   #5
Zebster
Upstanding Member

1. You will have an e-dipstick. The conditions for it to be available are vague and depend on what software updates have been applied... worst case it'll only become available if the car is on level ground and the engine has been off for at least 2 hours (mine now works on a sloping drive after 10 minutes). Be aware that is is not a real-time reading, it's an average of the last 30km.
4. You certainly can set the door mirrors to function in several different modes, including whether the left one dips when in reverse. Settings are in the infotainment system vehicle menu.
12. My manual model has the basic hill start assit.
13. I think you mean left foot? It also annoys me that we don't get a foot rest.
15. I've had to use the Volvo breakdown cover a couple of times, it's OK but pretty average (both times they subbed it out to local recovery agents). You do get a courtesy car for 48 hours.

Last edited by Zebster; Nov 2nd, 2020 at 07:48.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 08:59   #6
Adrian888

Having driven my V60 on several long stints over summer (400 miles +) i cannot say i have been affected by lack of a footrest. Most of the others can be found in the handbook or ask the dealer from where you bought it. Youtube is also a useful tool. When i got my V60 i sat in the car, smartphone in hand and searched youtube for ‘how to’ video tutorials. Within half an hour i had most of it sussed and the rest came by trial and error. Sometimes you have to make an effort.
Adrian888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 09:06   #7
glynh

Also a nice feature (i have only just found the home safe after over a year)

The 'approach' light time is if you press the 'light bulb' button on your fob, it lights the side lights/etc. Handy for finding your car in a carpark (well the panic alarm is as well, but may get frowns!)

the 'Home Safe' (or whatever it is called) is set by turning the car off, removing the key and pulling on the light stalk (as if you were flashing someone), this leaves all lights on for the time set (up to 90 seconds).

The home safe will be useful during the dark when you get home to keep things illuminated, the approach doesnt light up as much.
glynh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to glynh For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 11:35   #8
Nutbrook

4. If you don't have electrically operating seats then you wont have mirrors that flip down in reverse. They were part of the same option I believe.
Nutbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 11:36   #9
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Volvo Assist is great, the only downside is they will only recover to home or a Volvo dealer.

I used it when my locking wheel nut snapped, car recovered, taxi provided and free loan car delivered a couple of hours later. Can't complain there.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2020, 07:16   #10
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbrook View Post
4. If you don't have electrically operating seats then you wont have mirrors that flip down in reverse. They were part of the same option I believe.
I interpreted that differently.

Mitch asked...

Quote:
... If I have that correct, I thought he was asking if you can move the mirrors position from its default when it is automatically tilted down when reverse is engaged.
For me that's a valid request as on my own car when this function is selected it tilts too far for me and is of no real assistance. Now if I could modify its position to suit me and save it, that would be great, but that is not possible.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post: