Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Questions about my newly acquired 65 plate V60

Views : 2410

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2020, 10:08   #11
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 RUBY View Post
I interpreted that differently.

Mitch asked...

... If I have that correct, I thought he was asking if you can move the mirrors position from its default when it is automatically tilted down when reverse is engaged.
For me that's a valid request as on my own car when this function is selected it tilts too far for me and is of no real assistance. Now if I could modify its position to suit me and save it, that would be great, but that is not possible.
I agree with you that that is what is being asked. I think this topic has been covered at various times across the years, with my take as below:

I agree that there is no adjustment to the position the mirror moves to when reverse is selected.

For clarity, you can choose in the settings whether 0, 1 or 2 of the mirrors, move to the 'down' position when reverse is selected. If 0 is selected, you can still get the mirror to drop, by pressing the relevant mirror button after reverse is selected.

The common complaint is that the mirror is too low. I believe this is deliberate, and I find the position to be correct. ie it points at your back wheel, so if you're reversing next to a kerb, you can see how close your wheel is to the kerb, or the line in a parking space.

I recognise that people don't necessarily use it in this manner and therefore find it too low. The 'hack' to position the mirror where you want it is to use a spare memory seat button. There are three memory buttons for the seat and most people only use 1 or 2, so if you leave the seat settings the same, but adjust the mirror and save it 3. Whenever you reverse, press button 3 and it will move the mirror. When done press your other seat setting to revert the mirror back to regular driving. Perhaps not ideal, but it will do the job, without a lot of fiddling.

I've now talked far too much about wing mirrors.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2020, 22:32   #12
JeffCooper63

What would be nice is if it had a kerb sensor - I like the mirror dipping in reverse, but not when I just want to drive backwards for any other reason.
JeffCooper63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2020, 07:29   #13
glynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCooper63 View Post
What would be nice is if it had a kerb sensor - I like the mirror dipping in reverse, but not when I just want to drive backwards for any other reason.
Just leave the setting off then, and press either of the mirror buttons when reversing to set them to dip.

Just not the same time, as that will fold the mirrors in.
glynh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to glynh For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2020, 18:38   #14
Yelper85

Evening all,

Sorry for the delayed response but I've been swamped with issue that appear to plague the car as well as being super busy at work and home, hence my list of questions.

Thanks to all that have replied, only a slight bit of cockiness which I expected, I've just not had the time to sit down and read the 400+ page user manual; I do apologise!

I honestly didn't think it was too many questions, especially for enthusiasts, indeed I revel in answering questions as I like to help.

Ok, let me work down my list/replies.:

1. Oil level - this still isn't working even though I done it as per the manual. I'll flag this with Volvo when it's in next week (more on that later).

2. Collision camera to store data in crash - Ok, will buy a dash cam.

3. How many batteries - It's start/stop, so 2, many thanks.

4. This is extremely annoying. Can't believe this can be set. The hack is good, but this really should be user settable.

5. The BLIS + 90% of all the other safety features are faulty. It's going into a main dealer next Tuesday for diagnosis/repair. For a 5-day day old car supplied through a main dealer, I'm not impressed.

6. Lane Keep Assist is faulty as per most other systems. Cruise works, that's about it.

7. I will change the Xenons myself, £80 for Philips White Vision (anybody tried these out of interest?)

8. Xenon bulb type - It's D3S

9. Bulb next to Xenon - I'm a bit ashamed about this. I thought this car was Bi-Xenon with Adaptive Main Beam . . . it's not, it has the auto dipped main beam but not adaptive/shadow lights. That bulb is main beam as you guys said. It's a H9 fitting which turns out to be very obscure and you can't get any upgrade bulbs from the main manufacturers. Why Volvo went for this bulb type is beyond me. Apparently, you can fit H11 with a slight mod and get pure white bulbs in, however if anybody knows of any good white (4500-5000k) H9 bulbs, please let me know.

10. Interior/Exterior ambient/mood bulbs - These are smaller bulbs than the standards I've been used to in VW. Not sure if they can be upgraded to LED, need to check.

11. Handbrake on if key out - Ok, I should elaborate. This is the first auto I've driven, so I can understand that if in park you don't technically need the handbrake, however even the manual states park isn't enough on its own. What I did find out today is if I start the car, I can take the key out, but it doesn't stop the car. If I stop the engine, it needs the key reinserting (not keyless in mine). The point still stands in my opinion, if you turn engine off, apply handbrake automatically. This is how all my other VW cars have operated including if I take my seatbelt off, it applies handbrake (when stationary at least).

12. Auto hold if take foot of brake - My car is start/stop, only way I can get I can fudge it is to put in park when stopped, but you can feel the car lurch forward/back when doing this.

13. No right footrest - every other car I've had has a right footrest, and it makes total sense. Cruise on, where to put the right foot? On the accelerator where you can accidentally push it?

14. LEDs on key-fob - Ok, this is on keyless entry with PCC. Shame, but maybe on next car . . .

15. AA vs Volvo breakdown assistance - I'm in talks with Volvo and comparing cover to see if I should reduce my AA cover.

I should point out that for many of the questions I've asked and the points raised, these are now included as standard on the newer Volvo models, so clearly what I'm asking isn't strange or out of the ordinary . . .

Regards

Mitch
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2020, 19:34   #15
1monkey600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
12. Auto hold if take foot of brake - My car is start/stop, only way I can get I can fudge it is to put in park when stopped, but you can feel the car lurch forward/back ....
If you mean when you stop temporarily, eg at a traffic light, you can just press the handbrake button while in Drive before taking your foot off the brake. The gearbox slips into neutral after a few seconds anyway (doesn’t while in sport mode though). When you accelerate the gearbox internally engages drive again and the handbrake does auto release.

If your car has start/stop a good hack is to knock the gear selector sideways, into sport mode, just before you come to a standstill at a give way junction. This way the engine will not stop, gearbox will not slip into neutral internally, and you have brisker acceleration. All three are beneficial if you have to get into a smaller gap in traffic.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2020, 22:00   #16
JeffCooper63

I'm not questioning the OP, but in my 38 years of driving, I don't think I've ever had an official foot rest for my accelerator foot ?
JeffCooper63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 09:25   #17
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1monkey600 View Post
If you mean when you stop temporarily, eg at a traffic light, you can just press the handbrake button while in Drive before taking your foot off the brake. The gearbox slips into neutral after a few seconds anyway (doesn’t while in sport mode though). When you accelerate the gearbox internally engages drive again and the handbrake does auto release.

If your car has start/stop a good hack is to knock the gear selector sideways, into sport mode, just before you come to a standstill at a give way junction. This way the engine will not stop, gearbox will not slip into neutral internally, and you have brisker acceleration. All three are beneficial if you have to get into a smaller gap in traffic.
Morning,

Yeah the handbrake button is an option, it's just not in the optimum location as it's hidden by the steering wheel, plus I have the seat all the way back so it's a bit of a faff.

So if the car is not in Sport mode it slips the box into neutral in all other conditions, i.e. if the engine is running but car stopped, if start/stop has been activated so engine off but foot still on brake and if start/stop has been disabled?

I do like your little hack, especially if the car slips into neutral even with start/stop off as that's one thing I've started to notice when pulling out is the delay between flooring it and the drive engaging.

Couple of questions there:

1. If you are in sport mode and in say gear 4, if you brake and come to a standstill, will the box remain in 4th gear and allow you to attempt to accelerate or will it force itself to 1st? Does it warn and say no no no, don't be silly? I'm just thinking if you need to ensure it's in 1st that's another thing to do/think about rather than having full attention on the road.

2. When I knock mine into Sport mode, instead of showing me the current gear number, it shows the letter S. This only changes to the current gear number once I've made a change. Is this the same with yours?

I'd also like it if the current gear number was shown even if in normal auto/Drive mode next to the power meter. What do you think?

Same for the current set speed in cruise when using the Performance theme. When you set the speed it shows you the current speed you just set and if you go below that the line is shown, however if you go above the set speed the entire gauge moves so if you then reapply cruise, you may not remember what speed you last saved. Personally a speed sign in the cruise section with the current stores setpoint would be much easier to understand. Again, just my opinion . . .
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 09:31   #18
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCooper63 View Post
I'm not questioning the OP, but in my 38 years of driving, I don't think I've ever had an official foot rest for my accelerator foot ?
Hi Jeff,

Out of curiosity, which brands of car have you had before?

That's not to say certain models in the same brand will/won't have one, I'm just wondering if it's a trend with certain manufacturers.

That said, the new Volvos have accelerator foot rests so I'm told . . .
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 10:57   #19
Adrian888

Given the problems i had with my Volvo dealer supplied used V60 i would be interested to know which dealer it is and how you get on. I would write a letter threatening rejection (within 30 days for a full refund) and cc to Volvo UK and, if bought on finance to the loan company too. In respect of the auto handbrake on an automatic VW, my previous car was a 13 plate Passat auto and no, the handbrake wasn't automatic.
Adrian888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 13:00   #20
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian888 View Post
Given the problems i had with my Volvo dealer supplied used V60 i would be interested to know which dealer it is and how you get on. I would write a letter threatening rejection (within 30 days for a full refund) and cc to Volvo UK and, if bought on finance to the loan company too. In respect of the auto handbrake on an automatic VW, my previous car was a 13 plate Passat auto and no, the handbrake wasn't automatic.
The dealer was Paul Rigby of Birmingham. You/anybody else had bad experience with them?

What were your bad experiences and what was wrong with the car?

I also got messed around by Clive Brook of Bradford after I put a reserve on a car only to be told the next day it had already been sold two weeks earlier!

I've already sent an email to Paul Rigby and Volvo customer services as you suggested. Volvo customer services have contacted them directly and have asked them to contact me to discuss matters.

It's not evident from these posts just how many issues I'm having, nor the inconvenience let alone the fact that it's completely taken the shine of what should have been a fantastic first experience of what Volvo have to offer.

Not a happy bunny!

Problem is, if I reject there's not much else out there in my price range that has all the features I currently have so if it goes back I may be forced to look at other brands which I really don't want to do.