Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

75W H9 main beam bulbs - Safe to use?

Views : 2675

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2020, 23:25   #11
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

It's not the actual amperage you should be concerned with, it's the percentage overload. Hence going from 65w to 75w is about a 15% increase - you could reasonably expect a 20% margin or so built into the cabling and connectors etc.

However, the real weak link is not the cables but the switching. Modern cars often use transistorised switching rather than contacts or relays and these can be damaged by over current. Volvo fortunately build high margins of safety in their electronics and you very rarely hear of anyone having problems with higher output halogen bulbs but if you want an example of the problems it can cause on other cars - Google "Ford Ranger BCM reset".
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2020, 09:48   #12
Chrisv60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Volvo fortunately build high margins of safety in their electronics
Yeah right. My son's had far less trouble with the electrics on his Fiat Punto than I've had with my Volvo. At least he can get all the doors open on his.
Old Nov 16th, 2020, 12:19   #13
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisv60 View Post
Yeah right. My son's had far less trouble with the electrics on his Fiat Punto than I've had with my Volvo. At least he can get all the doors open on his.
Sell your Volvo and get a Fiat then, if you think that's a good idea?.......
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Nov 16th, 2020, 13:52   #14
Chrisv60

Quote:
Sell your Volvo and get a Fiat then, if you think that's a good idea?.......
Do you know what? That's exactly what I feel like doing right now. I've had over 12 grands worth of repairs on it since new, its had 3 recalls and is waiting for another 2 and the fact I can't now get the rear door open, probably due to a faulty door module, I think is the final straw.

Apologies, rant over.

Oh yeah, and it's running like a bag of spanners, I'm just waiting for the EML to show itself again.

Last edited by Chrisv60; Nov 16th, 2020 at 13:56.
Chrisv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chrisv60 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2020, 14:21   #15
glynh

Quote:
and the fact I can't now get the rear door open, probably due to a faulty door module, I think is the final straw.
My 2013 V60 had same with the door (and no windows), was a broken cam bus wire, £180 later was fixed by auto electrician.
Old Nov 16th, 2020, 18:57   #16
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 RUBY View Post
Would these PIAA bulbs fit the bill? https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/p...QaAnwFEALw_wcB
I had actually seen these, only annoyance is the colour temp. Really want 5k otherwise I'm no better off than the stock ones.
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2020, 21:21   #17
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynh View Post
Why do you want to 'upgrade' and is it worth it? If you are asking questions then you have concerns so maybe just leave them as they are or just buy new bulbs as i have found just replacing them with new ones can give an improvement. so higher wattage, more heat, potential damage, fuse issues?

I had a car that had fancy 'blue tint' sidelights when i bought it, the sidelights were pants, and even generic halfords normal bulbs were loads brighter. Just a PITA to swap out (this was an insignia)

Also how often will they be used (are they high beam or main?)
I want to upgrade both the Xenons and the main bulbs to make them whiter. Definitely worth it in my opinion, much easier on the eyes, plus makes it feel like more of a premier car. If I could afford it, I'd swap for a newer model with full matrix LED headlights. The dream continues . . .

The Philips Xenons I've seen apparently have a higher output so that should account for any loss due to the temperature increase.

I don't mind keeping the mains as 65W, the point was I can't get 65W bulbs in 5k colour temp. And I certainly don't want blue bulbs for any part of the car. Next you would say don't wrap blue LED christmas lights round the windscreen . . .
Old Nov 16th, 2020, 22:43   #18
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
I had actually seen these, only annoyance is the colour temp. Really want 5k otherwise I'm no better off than the stock ones.
I've got the H4 versions in my Ford Ranger and they're really good - as much light I think as Nightbreakers but they seem to last a lot longer.

5,000K Halogen bulbs wont last long unfortunately as they run hotter.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 11:20   #19
Yelper85

Quote:
I've got the H4 versions in my Ford Ranger and they're really good - as much light I think as Nightbreakers but they seem to last a lot longer.

5,000K Halogen bulbs wont last long unfortunately as they run hotter.
That's one thing I could do without, the hassle of changing bulbs. I suppose at least Volvo made it relatively easy to change as mine has the two long bars that clip the headlamp unit into place.

Then again, it's not just the effort, it's the cost! Might be worth trying I suppose rather than run the risk of the 75W bulbs, especially as the main focus really is to upgrade the Xenons.

How long did your H4's last in comparison to Nightbreakers and stock OEM bulbs?
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 11:28   #20
Yelper85

Quote:
Do you know what? That's exactly what I feel like doing right now. I've had over 12 grands worth of repairs on it since new, its had 3 recalls and is waiting for another 2 and the fact I can't now get the rear door open, probably due to a faulty door module, I think is the final straw.

Apologies, rant over.

Oh yeah, and it's running like a bag of spanners, I'm just waiting for the EML to show itself again.
£12k on repairs?! Was that out your own pocket of through Volvo Warranty?

Out of interest what were/are the recalls?

I've heard Volvo recall cars for crazy little items, but then again I suppose this shows their commitment to customer safety and people before profit?