Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starting issue still.

Views : 9215

Replies : 200

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 10:41   #71
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
In that case, be very sparing with it! You don't have any IPA (IsoPropyl Alcohol) at all?
Ha, yeah I do but too late lol, thanks though, I use it for hand sanitizer

What ever I try, I won't know til the next morning, just had vida on and there are no errors other than. My wing mirror pentomiters or what ever they are called, stumped, prob cause I don't know what I'm doing lol I took this image though, any good?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201202_093851_resize_15_compress48.jpg (384.5 KB, 31 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 10:50   #72
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Ha, yeah I do but too late lol, thanks though, I use it for hand sanitizer

What ever I try, I won't know til the next morning, just had vida on and there are no errors other than. My wing mirror pentomiters or what ever they are called, stumped, prob cause I don't know what I'm doing lol I took this image though, any good?
Is cylinder #3 the one with the dodgy injector?

The door mirror potentiometers won't effect the running of the car, just the memory circuits of the mirror memory settings.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 10:52   #73
Bashy
Aged Member

I have only played with injector 1....
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 01:18   #74
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Is cylinder #3 the one with the dodgy injector?

The door mirror potentiometers won't effect the running of the car, just the memory circuits of the mirror memory settings.
Sorry, forgot to quote you yesterday, does injector 3 look bad then? for all I know, that image could mean that only injector 3 is ok lol

The reason I have concentrated on injector 1 only is that before I cleared the error codes when I 1st got Vida (beginning of the year I think it was) there was mention of a code showing for injector 1, i have never seen that code again mind,

I could always try swapping out 3 with one of the replacements off of ebay?
Trial and error becomes expensive after just the one go as its over £24 each time for a new fitting kit, the last kit was near on £30 off of ebay as FRF didn't answer their phones so I assumed they were closed for lockdown.

Its just a major pain that whatever I try, it has to wait until the next morning, when its as cold as the engine will ever get, I wonder if that's a major clue in all of this?
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 05:11   #75
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Sorry, forgot to quote you yesterday, does injector 3 look bad then? for all I know, that image could mean that only injector 3 is ok lol

The reason I have concentrated on injector 1 only is that before I cleared the error codes when I 1st got Vida (beginning of the year I think it was) there was mention of a code showing for injector 1, i have never seen that code again mind,

I could always try swapping out 3 with one of the replacements off of ebay?
Trial and error becomes expensive after just the one go as its over £24 each time for a new fitting kit, the last kit was near on £30 off of ebay as FRF didn't answer their phones so I assumed they were closed for lockdown.

Its just a major pain that whatever I try, it has to wait until the next morning, when its as cold as the engine will ever get, I wonder if that's a major clue in all of this?
Thing is, if you look at injector #3, it has the biggest correction and yet still the lowest speed.

That suggests to me it's not flowing what it should. I don't want to say "yes that's your misfire and cause of poor starting" as a definitive statement as it may not the problem but it's certainly highly suspect.

In fact, looking at it #3 and #5 both have quite a large addition to the fuel quantity, the other three are all subtractions so it's taking #3 and #5 as the two that can just make idle speed with additions but it has to reduce the fuel into the other three.

Out of those two, i'd be inclined to change #3 and get another screen up and see what improvements have been made, possibly change #5 as well after.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Dec 3rd, 2020 at 05:15.
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 05:41   #76
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Thing is, if you look at injector #3, it has the biggest correction and yet still the lowest speed.

That suggests to me it's not flowing what it should. I don't want to say "yes that's your misfire and cause of poor starting" as a definitive statement as it may not the problem but it's certainly highly suspect.

In fact, looking at it #3 and #5 both have quite a large addition to the fuel quantity, the other three are all subtractions so it's taking #3 and #5 as the two that can just make idle speed with additions but it has to reduce the fuel into the other three.

Out of those two, i'd be inclined to change #3 and get another screen up and see what improvements have been made, possibly change #5 as well after.
Thanks, that makes sense, that will be the next job, sadly rain today, rain or sleet or snow tomorrow, will play it by ear, may not be for a few days yet, plus i need to get another fitting kit :/
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 05:45   #77
simonwedge

Within VIDA it states that the acceptable range for fuel correction is +/- 2.3%. All of the injectors are within this range therefore it points to the problem being somewhere else.
The Following User Says Thank You to simonwedge For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 05:49   #78
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonwedge View Post
Within VIDA it states that the acceptable range for fuel correction is +/- 2.3%. All of the injectors are within this range therefore it points to the problem being somewhere else.
Perhaps, but swapping injector one the other day made it feel like its missing on one cylinder (quite bad) for the 1st 20 seconds, every morning, so they must be playing a part in it
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 05:58   #79
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Might be worth checking the listings on fleabay to see if buying several fitting kits is cheaper than one at a time? It's a lot of money for a couple of bolts, a clamp and a couple of seals but it has a lot to hold in.

Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 06:07   #80
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonwedge View Post
Maybe but there shouldn't be that sort of rpm drop on the two cylinders with the biggest positive compensation when the other three are all negative compensation.

Look at the compensation on #1 - max -1.38 and on #3 +1.79. Get your calculator out because that's about 3.2% difference and #3 is still slower by about 30rpm so something isn't right somewhere.

Also don't forget that is an absolute limit and not a target, if the two cylinders that had the biggest positive compensation were running at the same speed then maybe it would be acceptable, however they are the two slowest cylinders.
If all injectors were on negative or positive compensation and all running at the same speed then the +/-2.3% might be ok but it's not getting the speed despite the compensation.