Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

non starter

Views : 783

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 10:09   #1
Argyllt6

Default non starter

well last night my car decided not to start. the night before I only got the click from the starter solenoid but nothing from the starter.

battery is brand new so not that.. then last night nothing at all.!

called the RAC out they bridged the solenoid and it started. we switched it off and bridged it again now all you get is a whizzing noise from the starter but not engaging...

NEW STARTER MOTOR..? can these be re conditioned easily yourself or just go buy a new one for the sake of it..?

thanks
Argyllt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 18:09   #2
Arctic fox
XC90 D5 SE Lux MY08

As a free check of your time only, be sure the power cable to the starter and all other connections to it are clean and tight. Bridging a starter solenoid can bypass those problems and give the impression the starter / solenoid is at fault.

Depending on what terminals are bridged, would dictate the starter motor spinning and or engaging with the fly wheel.

Home reconditioning can be done if you have the time and knowledge. But to be honest, without pricing serviceable parts for it, you might just be better off buying either a reconditioned or new unit depending on your budget. Then at least you should get a minimum 12 months warranty with it.

If your feeling savvy on a repair, take it off and try to establish what the actual problem is and take it from there. Post back if you need help, will do what I can on advice.
Arctic fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 18:22   #3
Shadeyman
VOC Member

If you plan to do it yourself this vid may be of use.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2013, 19:18   #4
Argyllt6

Default Starter

Replaced it in 20 mins bought a recon one off fleabag for £60 with a years warranty problem solved . Thanks folks
Argyllt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Argyllt6 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 13:31   #5
Arctic fox
XC90 D5 SE Lux MY08

Nice one. It's good to see that the starter is located in a reasonable place for replacement.
Arctic fox is offline   Reply With Quote