Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear 12v Socket Replacement

Views : 1099

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2013, 01:39   #1
sdg1970
Master Member

Default Rear 12v Socket Replacement

Driving along today I all of a sudden smelled the acrid stench of burning plastic and whisps of smoke coming through from the rear of the car. Pulled over and traced it to the rear 12v socket. By the time I pulled the panel off, it had already burned itself out (fuse blew presumably as the front one doesn't work now either). The wires to the socket (rear one) are crimped directly to it and the wires dissapear under the centre storage box, presumably to the front one. I'm going to just buy a generic replacement from a motor factors, cut the old one out, crimp some terminals on etc, and presumably they will fit in the existing cradle etc?? Or, anyone got a good second hand one for sale?? The ones in the green plastic sheath.
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 11:24   #2
OvlovS70
Still a learning member

Hello,
Read my final post here:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=160639

Both lighters run from seperate connections. The rear plugs in half way along te tunnel console.
The unit gives out a nice green light which illuminates the rear floor tunnel. Most bulbs will be long burned out as they come on with the ignition.
Cheers
OvlovS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 12:54   #3
sdg1970
Master Member

It wasn't the bulb, it was the actual fag lighter itself which was melted and burnt. The bulb is still clear and was working at the time of failure. Not too fussed about the light if I'm honest - though I would like to get a 12v socket in there and working. I'll put a gen Volvo one in with the cradle and bulb holder if possible, otherwise it'll be a cheapo from local Motor Factors.
Old May 19th, 2013, 16:20   #4
OvlovS70
Still a learning member

Hello,
Your posting was clear, perhaps my answer wasn't so.
Check my post i provided the link to, it gives you the part number you need, i replaced the recepticle last year and at £13 a dealer is the answer.
I meant as a bonus you will have a working light.
Cheers
Old May 19th, 2013, 16:43   #5
sdg1970
Master Member

Yes, sorry, I mis-interpreted you - my mistake! I have now stripped out the console and fag lighter. The fuse was blown, and though I have now replaced the fuse the front lighter still does not work! Does it need the rear lighter to complete the circuit or is there something else!? I will indeed buy the dealer part for that money. Many thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to sdg1970 For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2013, 22:41   #6
OvlovS70
Still a learning member

Hello,
As they are both plugged in separately I can't see one affecting the other.
How are you testing the front one?
Cheers
Old May 20th, 2013, 01:46   #7
sdg1970
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvlovS70 View Post
Hello,
As they are both plugged in separately I can't see one affecting the other.
How are you testing the front one?
Cheers
Tbh, I haven't properly tested it as yet - just fuse in and phone charger in socket to test. No joy! Multi-meter on fuse and socket terminals later today. Got a feeling I may have accidentally yanked off the terminals to the front lighter when I pulled the console up.
Old May 20th, 2013, 17:12   #8
OvlovS70
Still a learning member

Hello,
I replaced both owing to how old they were and deciding they didn't owe me much, but mainly because i busted the bulb illumination holders trying to change the lamps.
Hope you get it sorted!
Cheers
Old May 20th, 2013, 17:39   #9
sdg1970
Master Member

Ok - power tested at fuse 30 and all good. Power tested on terminals of front cigarette lighter with ignition on and there is nothing - zip! Is there any further in line protection between fuse and cigarette lighter? Rear socket is unplugged. I noticed also there was two white connectors, peripheral of the main wiring under the console that were disconnected. I could have disturbed these when pulling the console up. Haven't tried to reconnect them yet, but will do so tomorrow.
Old May 21st, 2013, 12:04   #10
OvlovS70
Still a learning member

Hello,
Have double checked my old units and can confirm that the front one does have a white connector, so it is possible it has gotten unplugged, but without seeing your loose connectors this is purely guess work.
I don't know of any other inline protection devices, like youself only aware of the fuses, one front - number 30, one rear - number 36.
Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to OvlovS70 For This Useful Post: