Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 Problems

Views : 1432

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2009, 17:56   #1
m3evo

Default S80 Problems

Hi,New to the forum and also Volvos, have had mainly mercs and Bmws in the past but i am seriously thinking of buying a S80 D5 for my job as a executive airport transport, having had a load of trouble with my e320 cdi, question do you get any problems with the auto boxes? and what make are they ZF or what have you, are the manual boxes the best bet for reliability? Many thanks Dave
m3evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 13:59   #2
silverback02
Premier Member

Default Auto box

I don't know about the newer models, but my 1999 S80 auto had Three (3) boxes during its warrenty life and after bieng sold has had three (3) more. My friends 2006 S60 has also had three (3) boxes changed on warrenty. All the boxes are / were:

AW55-50/51SN

If it wasn't such a nice comfortable car, It would be recycled by now.
Joe.
silverback02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silverback02 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2009, 22:49   #3
sword833

Default S80 2000 2.5 tdi

I have a 2000 s80 in auto and NOTHING is happening to it.I was using this car for minicabs and i was so delighted.Consumption average 44-45 mpg,big boot and loads of xtras.

I still have that volvo for 2 years now and i don't think to change it for d5 engine.
Just audi tdi is the best.Maybe not power full like d5 but still good enough.
sword833 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sword833 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 25th, 2009, 08:36   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

the S80 is mechanicaly identical to all the other big volvos , as it was launched 2 years before the S60 and V70 it may have had a few niggles but from 2000 on it was as reliable as any of the other big volvos ... As for having 6 gearboxes , thats sheer incompenence of the people dealing with the fault ..
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 20:24   #5
dinger

I have a 2005 S80 D5 I have been using for airport chauffeuring for over 2 years. It now has 229,000 miles on it. I have had a few niggles but nothing too serious. A few months ago the auto box started playing up but a fluid change (at 200K miles) sorted it out. I have friends who have had a few problems with their S80's but far more who have had greater problems with their E-Classes. Also, my clients find the Volvo more comfortable than an E-Class.

I am not convinced that the current S80 is as roomy as my earlier one - I will need to check this out carefully. If it is, I will happily replace my faithful old bus with another S80.
dinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dinger For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 22:22   #6
Borzoi dad

Hi, I have found my 2001 s80 to be silly reliable and found the auto box to be fine and certainly equally as good as the auto box on our other car lexus RX. In fact the only problem iv'e had was caused by crashing into a pot hole deep enough to bury a mini in.
Borzoi dad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Borzoi dad For This Useful Post: