Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

s80 anti-skid service required

Views : 2143

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2011, 15:46   #1
costajus

Default s80 anti-skid service required

I've just had an "anti-skid service required" warning message appear on the dash along with the yellow "skidding car" warning light.

I read that it can be caused by the bolts in the centre of the wheels being slack. I have checked the bolts and they seem tight although the nearside was 14mm and looked old while the offside was 13mm and seemed much newer? I have read that there are newer bolts with a rubber washer that will stop axle ping but mine seem quite tight.

Any ideas what I should do next please? I am thinking maybe take a look at the ABS sensors on the front wheels and see if I can see any damage on the reluctor rings?

I have only just had the codes read and cleared a few days ago, so I'd rather not fork out again if possible.

I'll be honest the car is losing my faith, I've only had it two weeks and had countless problems already despite having FSH including bills for most of the suspension/control arms etc etc over the last few years - I thought nothing else could go wrong!
costajus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 21:39   #2
costajus

An update from my observations tonight.

I started the car tonight and the orange symbol was lit but I got no warning message. On the way down the road the orange light vanished but then a minute or two later it was back on along with the anti-skid error.

I parked up to nip into the local shop, started the car and the same thing - light on but no error. After driving off the light went off. After driving around braking and taking left and right turns the light and error were back but not due to me doing anything particular such as a right turn etc.

So its intermitent(ish) - I will try checking the ABS sensors and wiring/connectors I think unless anyone has a better place to start?
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 12:59   #3
costajus

Another update - took the car to a friend who has a fancy code reader. This is what he found:

0109 Communication between control modules. Communication problem steering wheel angle sensor.

I am now investigating this. I understand you have to remove the steering wheel to access this sensor. I don't know if I can try to clean it and clean the connections. Failing that I believe there is a software update to make it less sensitive or else it needs replacing.