Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel tank rust cleaning

Views : 1034

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2020, 16:40   #1
adarvasi

Default Fuel tank rust cleaning

Hello everybody, hoping that you are all safe and healthy!

As some of you know, I am restoring my 1962 PV544 to almost brand new condition, if Lennart Johansson from PV Autoparts is nice enough, I deserve a few shares of the company!
Now it was the turn to check the fuel sender, and it was in a terrible state of corrosion, then I checked the tank, and obviously wasn't much better; so I put a gallon of Evaporust and left it for a couple of days and washed the tank with high pressure water, the four walls and the bottom were pretty clean, not perfect, but the top was still rusted.
I checked some more how to do it and I found the electrolysis process to eliminate rust. I bough washing soda (calcium carbonate) mixed 1 table spoon of it with water, filled the tank to the brim, connected the wires and left it until it stopped bubbling (around 36 hours). The results were great, again on the 4 walls a and the bottom, you can see in the picture the black patina left by the electrolysis process, which is supposed to limit and/or eliminate future rusting. The top, however, was still rusted as you can appreciate with the boroscope pictures.
I am at a loss on what else to do, and seriously considering buying a new tank.
Before doing that, I will much appreciate your advice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Electrolysis connection detail.jpg (89.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Electrolysis setup.jpg (87.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Old fuel sender.jpg (86.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Sacrificial Metal.jpg (44.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Tank bottom.jpg (42.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Upper wall interior scaling.jpg (156.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg High press washing.jpg (131.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Evaporust.jpg (95.4 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by adarvasi; Apr 27th, 2020 at 16:56.
adarvasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 18:15   #2
arcturus
arcturus

So, The sender is not expensive. Screw it back on tight. Turn the tank over,cut a hole just big enough for your pressure gun.repeat the de rust process, clean and dry and then weld on patch and fit new sender.Well,that's one way
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 18:22   #3
adarvasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
So, The sender is not expensive. Screw it back on tight. Turn the tank over,cut a hole just big enough for your pressure gun.repeat the de rust process, clean and dry and then weld on patch and fit new sender.Well,that's one way
Hello Arcturus, that really seems a bit drastic! If it gets to that I will definitely go for a new tank
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 18:25   #4
c1800
Master Member

It appears that the solution was not in contact with the inside top of the tank. You could fashion some kind of seal/cover for the sender hole and repeat the process with the tank upside down. If that’s not possible then possibly a radiator shop or similar place that can dip the tank in a caustic solution would work. More expense , but probably cheaper than a new tank.

Edit. Upside down with the sender in the hole.

Last edited by c1800; Apr 27th, 2020 at 18:36.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 19:09   #5
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarvasi View Post
Hello Arcturus, that really seems a bit drastic! If it gets to that I will definitely go for a new tank
OK,then fit sender back on tight and turn tank over and de rust solution through fuel filler?
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 19:19   #6
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarvasi View Post
OK,then fit sender back on tight and turn tank over and de rust solution through fuel filler? Where there's a will there's a way ( and where there's a way there's a willy) Unless the rust is absolutely falling off into the tank the top is not so important as the rest as fuel doesn't get that high.An extra filter just before pump will take care of any particles
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 19:36   #7
amazon69
Premier Member

I have just done this with my massive Bristol tank. I used Bilt Hamber Surfex HD and then DEOX C, which is great. BUT..to get things really clean I put in to the empty tank a lot of old coins and stones. (I had washed them all beforehand) I then wrestled with the tank in all directions. The coins scraped the flat surfaces, and the stones knocked off everything else. I then hosed out the tank and it is super clean..and it was really awful beforehand. A few coins didnt want to come out but they did in the end.
The Following User Says Thank You to amazon69 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 20:18   #8
arcturus
arcturus

Only problem what with rust eating away at the metal, once rust removed the tank can be pretty thin and develop pin holes.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 22:07   #9
adarvasi

Thank you Arcturus for your suggestions, the thinness of the metal is a very valid concern.
In another forum in the US, Baltasar Fernandez from Barcelona suggested to cut the tank open (see video) and re welded after thoroughly cleaning and applying a coat of resin inside.
I will try that, and if it fails I will buy a new one, but it's a good learning experience that may work, I have to find an excellent welder, though.
I attached a picture of the tank opened and sand blasted. Have videos of the process but could not upload them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel tank sand blasted.jpg (8.1 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by adarvasi; Apr 27th, 2020 at 23:24. Reason: Add pictures
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 08:14   #10
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Nono, don't cut the tank. Put in the sender, place the tank at the side and try the calvanic process again. Don't forget to protect the tank later. Good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post: