Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First long trip mpg

Views : 566

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2016, 17:55   #1
Lexman8
Premier Member

Default First long trip mpg

Been up to Scotland for the weekend; a round trip of 540 miles. Fuel consumption on the 4 main legs was:
  • Wakefield to Northumberland (M1/A1(M)/country roads) - 46.8 mpg
  • Northumberland to Glasgow (country roads/Edinburgh ring road/M8) - 42.6 mpg
  • Glasgow to Carlisle (M74/M6) - 46.8 mpg
  • Carlisle to Wakefield (M6/A66/A1(M)/M1) - 48.4 mpg
Average for the 4 legs - 46.2 mpg. The Northumberland to Glasgow leg was the worst because the first half of it was on single carriageway roads, congestion on the Edinburgh ring road, major road widening on the M8 and getting through Glasgow during the rush hour! So all those things considered, it actually wasn't that bad.

Pilot Assist was set to 70 mph and on 80% of the time. It was fine on motorways and 'A' roads, not so good on twisting country roads and I wasn't very happy with steering assist through roadworks with narrow lanes, eg where they're upgrading the A1 to motorway, so I turned it off there.

I filled the tank when I left home and there's now 188 miles remaining.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 18:03   #2
Deman77
Master Member

Kids, dogs, suitcases? Comfort or Eco
Mode?

Very impressive considering 80% pilot assist - those things are not clever for fuel.
Deman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 18:23   #3
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Been up to Scotland for the weekend; a round trip of 540 miles. Fuel consumption on the 4 main legs was:
Average for the 4 legs - 46.2 mpg. The Northumberland to Glasgow leg was the worst because the first half of it was on single carriageway roads, congestion on the Edinburgh ring road, major road widening on the M8 and getting through Glasgow during the rush hour! So all those things considered, it actually wasn't that bad.

Pilot Assist was set to 70 mph and on 80% of the time. It was fine on motorways and 'A' roads, not so good on twisting country roads and I wasn't very happy with steering assist through roadworks with narrow lanes, eg where they're upgrading the A1 to motorway, so I turned it off there.

That will do for me.
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 18:31   #4
Lexman8
Premier Member

No kids nor dogs. No roof-rack. Couple of suitcases and some bits and pieces in boot. Full fuel load from the start. A tank-full of diesel in the XC90 weighs about 60kg.

Mixture of Comfort and Eco with aircon always on. I've found that Eco is fine cruising along the motorway at 70. There's still some oomph available when you need it. With Eco mode I noticed one time that it said 'Coasting' was available. I need to check if I have to do something to engage that or if it does it itself.

I reckon I could add a couple of mpg by not using Pilot Assist. A good human driver would smooth out the braking and acceleration better than it does. Also, the constant small steering corrections and lane wandering must impact fuel consumption too. Would like to see 50 mpg at least once.

Also, it was only 12c earlier this morning before I left so I set pre-conditioning on from my phone just to test it. It turned on the pre-heater for a while so there was fuel used for that.
_

Last edited by Lexman8; Aug 8th, 2016 at 18:41. Reason: Added pre-heater info
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 18:44   #5
Lozza
Events occur in real time

Coasting function is available in Eco by default, when the accelerator pedal is released, in D, not in Cruise Control, gradient not greater than 6% and when between 40-87mph.
Engine braking effectively ceases and gearbox disengages from the engine allowing revs to drop.
2005 S40 2.0D SE (Sold)
Lozza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lozza For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2016, 00:09   #6
BTXC90

Quote:

Thanks for the detail. That is impressive overall I think.

If any new XC90 owner is missing from the forum over the weekend, we must expect a review of long trip on Monday
Old Aug 9th, 2016, 02:40   #7
reggie59

Quote:

Wow! My xc90 Mark I would do 30-32 in the same condition. my BMW 530d would struggle to match this numbers.

These are incredible mpg and validates Volvo downsizing strategy
reggie59 is offline   Reply With Quote