Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 240 2.0

Views : 3015

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2014, 19:59   #11
240T
VOC Member

All my friends have 1.4 FSI's and Ford Focus', however being brought up round classic cars all my life I've always liked the idea of a Volvo, well, a 240 actually. It's got that modernness about it but also that retro look, always wanted one though - built like an outside toilet aren't they?!

T
240T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 07:26   #12
john h
VOC Member

Tim,

Good choice, and you should easily get a nice one below £1000.

Seen this? £300 and needs maybe £500 spent to make it very nice.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=202652

If you want to see a collection of sporty modified 240s, try to come to the Retrorides gathering at Shelsley Walsh in August. Mine will be one of several on a stand that Antz has organised.

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 11:23   #13
240T
VOC Member

My budget for a car alone is just over £1000, so I'd be happy to get a good one below that. Gives me some spare cash to perhaps bring the car up a bit when bought.

I have seen that one yes, more of a project than a car that can be driven straight away. Although I would be interested it's a bit more work than I can handle at this current moment.

I did see a GLE on Ebay for £800, needs a tiny bit of work however so I'm going to let it pass. The car has to get past mum's approval first too! Mostly aiming for a GLE or an early GLT in my case.

Tim
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 11:57   #14
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Cant go wrong with a GLT. I wanted a GLT originally but a GL came up at the right price.

Least the GLT hss eletric windows all round, black trims which look better, alloy wheels and hopefully, leather and not the horrible blue velour.

The only thing with GLT's is they seem to be pushing £1000-1500 for a good one but nothing stops you buying a GL and adding the trims and wheels to it.

In the end they will all need a bit of work. I paid £1000 for GLT two years ago and it still needed most of the lip below the tailgate repairing as it was none existant.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 12:23   #15
240T
VOC Member

Are the GL's any good? There's a few for sale online, just wondered if they were as good as the GLT/GLE which I intend on going for.

If I find an early enough GLT I'll go for it, but I can happily settle for a GLE. Only a first car so!

Tim
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 12:43   #16
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Nothing wrong with a GL at all. Electric front windows but manual rear, cloth interior, 2.0 engine which isnt as fast as the GLT but gets the same fuel economy. They arent bad cars.

They arent as well specced as a GLT (GLT has thicker roll bars and lower suspension) but because everyone wants the GLT, you can usually get GL's cheaper. Defintiely worth a look. I wouldnt pass up on a decent GL if one came up and in any case, you can upgrade the suspension with performance parts that take it well beyond GLT spec anyway. IPD roll bars, DVS braces, lowering springs, polybushes etc.

The only thing I didnt like about my old GL was the chrome headlight trim and grill so I fitted some black headlight trims and grill from a GLT/Torslanda which smartened up the front and added some GLT alloys. The front seats were knackered so I threw in a pair of Alfa 156 front seats too. Set of lowering springs with DVS braces and it even staretd to handle well for a big bus.

They arent as well specced as a GLT (GLT has thicker roll bars and lower suspension) but because everyone wants the GLT, you can usually get GL's cheaper. Defintiely worth a look. I wouldnt pass up on a decent GL if one came up and in any case, you can upgrade the suspension with performance parts that take it well beyond GLT spec anyway. IPD roll bars, DVS braces, lowering springs, polybushes etc.

Whatever spec you find, you wont be disappointed. They are all great cars.

Old Apr 10th, 2014, 13:47   #17
240T
VOC Member

What would you recommend to bring a good GL up to spec? I've had the offer from a friend of fitting black Weller alloys, he owns a powdercoating shop and would happily do them for me if needed. There are a few other things I want to try, don't fancy cutting springs so who would you recommend for lowering an Ovlov? I assume the GLT is the faster version, but for the same fuel economy as the GL I'll intend to go mid-range with the GLE.

I intend to give the car a good service once bought, so perhaps that's the time I can fit a few things that'll improve it and make it more modern.

Tim
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 14:11   #18
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Theres lots you can do, it just depends how far you want to take it.

My recommendation, whatever spec you buy would be to replace the springs with a set of 40mm lowering springs from spax or Kilen. After that check all the suspension bushes as they will probably be shot (usually are from age) and repalce any with polyurethane ones. Add a set of lower chassis braces from DVS Performance in Australia and thatll get you going.

After that you need to be looking at IPD anti roll bars from partsforvolvos to really tighten things up.

Wheels. Bin the 142 steels. Get a set of larger wheels. 15" or 16" will take away tyre flex and improve handling. Just remember that PCD is 5x108 and a RWD offset so you need to be looking for about an offset of 20, or youll need some big spacers.

Good quality brake discs and pads.

If the seats are knackered, they snap and bend towards the middle which is dreadfully uncomfy. Sling them in the bin and go round your scrapyard to get some better ones. Make some rbackets to fit them on standard runners and bobs your uncle.

Have a look on here:

www.dvs.net.au
www.partsforvolvos.co.uk

Old Apr 10th, 2014, 14:33   #19
240T
VOC Member

Think I'll give those sites a check out soon - looks good what they offer. I did have a look for other 40mm springs, Lesjofor any good? Seen a few on other Volvo forums that they've been used, look neat.

Did the GL's come with a 5 speed box or was it just a 4 speed?
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 14:53   #20
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

My GL was a 1990 and that had a 5 speed box.

Not used Lesojors whatever they are called. Only used Spax and Kilen. I found Spax to be a better ride than Kilen but the Kilens were already on my 240 when I bought it.