Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Weather app

Views : 3019

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2016, 13:50   #1
Lexman8
Premier Member

Default Weather app

Is it working for anyone?

For the last 2 days mine says 'No Internet Connection' even although the car appears to be successfully tethered to the phone over wifi and I have a strong 4G signal.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2016, 13:58   #2
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Is it working for anyone?

For the last 2 days mine says 'No Internet Connection' even although the car appears to be successfully tethered to the phone over wifi and I have a strong 4G signal.
This app was down for ages, earlier in the year.
Will check it in the V60.

tem.
Old Jul 29th, 2016, 14:21   #3
tem
Premier Member

In the car and cannot get any of the apps.
Just get a Red Cross on top of the app symbol.
I will try again in 20 miles from my current location.

tem.
Old Jul 29th, 2016, 14:51   #4
Lexman8
Premier Member

Thanks. I suspect there's ongoing problems with Volvo's servers.

I noticed mine not working after I'd connected the car to my home wifi so I thought that was the problem but having changed the connection back to my phone it's still not working. Nor are any of the other apps as far as I can tell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2016, 15:05   #5
tem
Premier Member

Just checked again and it looks like the whole apps system is down.

tem.
Old Jul 29th, 2016, 15:13   #6
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
Just checked again and it looks like the whole apps system is down.

tem.
I just tried on car SIM (the user installed SIM) and using Wifi Hotspot from my phone:

1. Weather App - forever trying to connect
2. Spotify - forever trying to connect
3. Yelp - worked
4. Local search (here) worked

At first, before I'd got some results from the search apps, I was starting to wonder if Volvo are routing all traffic from the car's internet connection via a proxy, which was maybe down and hence causing all failures.

Maybe its just my Spotify and there is no link to the failing weather app. Is anyone else able to test Spotify?

:wq
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2016, 15:33   #7
Carl Sberglager

Same problem for me on Weather and Spotify, using in car modem, thought it was dodgy signal in rural France, but no joy even in places where it worked OK a few days ago.
Old Jul 29th, 2016, 15:51   #8
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Sberglager View Post
Same problem for me on Weather and Spotify, using in car modem, thought it was dodgy signal in rural France, but no joy even in places where it worked OK a few days ago.
Odd, I don't see why once the Spotify app is installed, it should be affected by an outage on Volvo servers. Similarly for the weather app, I don't know who provides the weather data, but you'd think again that the app would just speak to the weather provider servers.

Sensus is a lovely interface and a great bit of car tech, but I don't have a lot of faith at the moment in Volvo's technical abilities, we have issues like this that don't seem to get resolved quickly and I've had various Sensus crashes, can't get Spotify to stream reliably on anything but the best of internet connection, issues with the My Volvo website that isn't able to interface particularly well with the car build process, the Volvo On Call app which sometimes can't record consumption for a journey, and the Volvo support forums which are a great idea, but lack the support.

Love my car, but let down by dodgy tech. Look around the forums, there are way way more tech than mechanical problems.

Old Jul 29th, 2016, 15:55   #9
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Is anyone else able to test Spotify?
Just tried some other apps:
  • Spotify: I don't don't have an account but got as far as sign-in screen. That probably tells us nothing.
  • TuneIn: 'Connection error'
  • Downloads Centre: 'No connection to service'
So it looks like their services have been down for at least a day.

A poor performance really. Maybe it's like France in August whereby the whole of Sweden goes on holiday in July? Maybe they'll get around to looking at my paintwork issue on Monday then.
Old Jul 29th, 2016, 16:07   #10
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Odd, I don't see why once the Spotify app is installed, it should be affected by an outage on Volvo servers. Similarly for the weather app, I don't know who provides the weather data, but you'd think again that the app would just speak to the weather provider servers.

Sensus is a lovely interface and a great bit of car tech, but I don't have a lot of faith at the moment in Volvo's technical abilities, we have issues like this that don't seem to get resolved quickly and I've had various Sensus crashes, can't get Spotify to stream reliably on anything but the best of internet connection, issues with the My Volvo website that isn't able to interface particularly well with the car build process, the Volvo On Call app which sometimes can't record consumption for a journey, and the Volvo support forums which are a great idea, but lack the support.

Love my car, but let down by dodgy tech. Look around the forums, there are way way more tech than mechanical problems.

I completely agree. There seems to be something wrong with much of their IT, both corporate and in-car, but their apparent inability to respond to issues in a timely fashion is even more concerning.

Regarding your point about service provider routing, perhaps Volvo is gathering usage data about all the apps and routing it via their servers would be a way of doing this?