Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Manufacturers need to understand the influence of forums

Views : 1444

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2016, 13:52   #1
jimbg
Master Member

Default Manufacturers need to understand the influence of forums

After owning 2 Range Rover Sports that only ever saw the dealer for a service, I decided last year not to buy the latest version.

A few reasons, one the boot is a lot smaller, two the interior and electronics is not that different, three the price has increased to around £80k for the spec I would want.
The final killer blow was that the RRS forum was full of problems, backed up by the necessary delivery delays from the factory to fix the issues. That was the final straw for me.

I just did not want to get a car that potentially was going to be spending days in the dealer.

So, my shortlist started out with the XC90, Q7 and the new Discovery.

To be honest I thought the XC90 would be the easy winner.

I have rejected the Q7 ( or the boss did! ) but was not immediately convinced by the XC90. Not sure what it is, but it does not feel like a real premium car to me. But then again it is a lower cost than the Range Rover Sport.

So I have now decided to wait to see the new Discovery and we are off to the Paris Show in October to have a look at it.

I have to say I am rapidly going off the XC90 because of of all the problem threads on here. OK I may not end up with some of them, but I am fairly sure I would have some issues.

Which gets me to the point that Volvo really need to listen to their customers and get some positive feedback on forums like this. If problems arise then they need to respond quickly and fix them or at a minimum acknowledge the problem exists and commit to a rapid fix.

Also the dealers need to up their game and provide the same sort of experience that you get in other premium car dealerships.

I may still go with the XC90, but at the moment I am staying firmly on the fence!!
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jimbg For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2016, 14:16   #2
neon
Premier Member

Yes very good point, as I am swaying backwards and forwards if I should pull out of my car that is on order. This is because of the great honest information on the forums. I am not the type to accept any deviation from what I should get for this kind of money. I can accept a few problems as long as there is not too many, they get fixed, do not re-occur and the service is good.
I can go to battle, but do I really want the hassle, no.

Last edited by neon; Jul 31st, 2016 at 15:01.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2016, 14:36   #3
Rooster
Speed freak

With all modern technology been more and more computer based and motor vehicles in general getting more and more technology its only going to get worse,

Sometimes i no longer feel like a mechanic anymore, i feel more like a IT geek as i now must spend over half my time at work stood looking at a computer screen,

With new stuff now you look at faults and have to think could this be a software fault rather than a hardware issue and there is a hell of alot to be said for turning it off and back on again,
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2016, 15:08   #4
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
With all modern technology been more and more computer based and motor vehicles in general getting more and more technology its only going to get worse,

Sometimes i no longer feel like a mechanic anymore, i feel more like a IT geek as i now must spend over half my time at work stood looking at a computer screen,

With new stuff now you look at faults and have to think could this be a software fault rather than a hardware issue and there is a hell of alot to be said for turning it off and back on again,
Interesting article on a similar subject: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/in...-expensive-fix
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2016, 17:25   #5
iain cooper

look on any car forum and all you see is problems and dissatisfaction.

landrover, volvo, or audi, all good quality machines, but you still need a bit of luck !!

Iain
Old Jul 31st, 2016, 17:41   #6
jimbg
Master Member

Forums are indeed full of problems but usually for when the cars are a few years old.

The Range Rover Sport forum that I am a member is full of problems, but you have to remember like the MK1 XC90 it has also been around a long time.

The worrying trend is we are talking about brand new cars and in the case of Volvo they seem incapable of quickly fixing what are obviously software problems.
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbg For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2016, 19:25   #7
Carl Sberglager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbg View Post
Forums are indeed full of problems but usually for when the cars are a few years old.

The Range Rover Sport forum that I am a member is full of problems, but you have to remember like the MK1 XC90 it has also been around a long time.

The worrying trend is we are talking about brand new cars and in the case of Volvo they seem incapable of quickly fixing what are obviously software problems.
Don't know if I'm in the minority of owners, but I've had 10 months and 19,000 miles of ownership and have had no major issues, really love the car. Biggest software issue for me had been the app issues this past week, when I could have really used TuneIn whilst on holiday in France.

Maybe the adage that you're more likely to comment when something is wrong, rather than when it's right, applies to forums more than anywhere?

Don't get me wrong, think forums are great for problem resolution, but aren't necessarily a true barometer of customer satisfaction.

Last edited by Carl Sberglager; Jul 31st, 2016 at 19:50.
Carl Sberglager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carl Sberglager For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2016, 19:51   #8
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Sberglager View Post
Don't know if I'm in the minority of owners, but I've had 10 months and 19,000 miles of ownership and have had no major issues, really love the car. Biggest software issue for me had been the app issues this past week, when I could have really used TuneIn whilst on holiday in France.

Maybe the adage that you're more likely to comment when something is wrong, rather than when it's right, applies to forums more than anywhere?

Don't get me wrong, think forums are great for problem resolution, but aren't necessarily a true barometer of performance.
I think it is great that your car has been good and I hope it carries on. What I cannot understand is generally with software issues it will affect all cars you would think. It is really baffling.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2016, 20:10   #9
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Yes very good point, as I am swaying backwards and forwards if I should pull out of my car that is on order. This is because of the great honest information on the forums. I am not the type to accept any deviation from what I should get for this kind of money. I can accept a few problems as long as there is not too many, they get fixed, do not re-occur and the service is good.
I can go to battle, but do I really want the hassle, no.
Realistically if that is your aspiration and personality type then i would suggest that you pull out of your order now.

Me I can accept a few foibles and am reasonably relaxed about it. I also lease the car which means i havent paid 70k for it and it will go back at the end of the term. Also with the low bik it is cheaper overall than my last car which was 2 thirds of the list price of this one.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2016, 20:34   #10
AB-UK
Premier Member

I think it's quite reasonable for private buyers who have paid £50-60,000 of their own money to expect their cars to be free of these niggles and aggravation.

I have had to save to buy my cars, the last 2 being XC90s, but given that this new model is somewhat more expensive than the previous model it is going to take me a while to accrue the necessary funds.

The upside to this is the hope that Volvo will address all of the problems highlighted in the various fora, (or forums?), including the official support forum, so that when I can at last buy one everything will be sorted.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote