Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vibration under load.

Views : 570

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 29th, 2022, 16:21   #1
BMattV70R

Default Vibration under load.

Hello there.

I’ve had this problem for a little while now and it’s very annoying makes the car very uncomfortable to ride in. The car is a 2005 V70R with just over 70k miles.

So the vibration is felt through the car and not the steering wheel, it starts at around 40mph and doesn’t really go away at any speed above that unless when it’s not under load. I’ve also noticed then when turning left and not accelerating I can feel a thudding sensation from the front right area of the car. I’ve had it in a garage to check all the bushes and they can’t seem to find the fault.

I’ve had all the tyres balanced and angled as only had new tyres put on it earlier this year. I’m thinking it could be a drive shaft as other than this wobble it drives really nicely and everything feels really tight. I haven’t looked at the engine mounts but the garage didn’t say they looked crappy or anything.

I’ve search the internet and people either say engine mounts or driveshafts for this sort of problem.

Would like you comments please. Also I’ve looked everywhere for a drivers side driveshaft for an auto and can’t find one so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome thank you.
BMattV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2022, 17:28   #2
John97Tdi
Master Member

I'm not sure if you have considered it or not but the shuddering could be gearbox related,especially if the transmission fluid hasn't been changed in a while. Look up transmission shudder on google and see if the symptoms you are experiencing tick any boxes.

HTH

John.
John97Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2022, 17:33   #3
BMattV70R

I’ve had the gearbox oil done about 3 months ago so don’t think it will be that. Both of the front rear bushes on the control area have split though, could that be the problem only noticed that the other day when seeing if any of the bushes were gone, they didn’t really move at all with a pry bar though.
Old Dec 29th, 2022, 18:37   #4
John97Tdi
Master Member

When I first got my XC it had 'mentions' on the last 3 or so MOT's about worn but not excessive play in the control arm bushes - it also had quite a few odd noises when under load so I changed the control arms and ball joints and the majority of noises disappeared.Despite the garage comments, bushes and mounts might be a place to start - if they are original even with your low mileage they are still 17 years or so old.
John97Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2022, 19:51   #5
BMattV70R

I have had to replace some bushings as they were shot, due to their age like you’ve said so I might start with them, I’ve seen a full control arm with the bushes already in so that might be the easier option.
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 22:13   #6
1st volvo love

Hi i had this on my v50, i changed:
Wishbones,
Anti roll bar bushes,
Anti roll bar links,
Track rod ends inner and outer,
Tyres with wheels and had new set balanced,
Rebuilt a caliper,
(it all needed doing anyway)
And the vibration stayed there. I then changed the driveshaft as i noticed play and couldn't be bothered rebuilding the inner cv boot and vibration went away!
I got a 2nd hand oem from ebay that visually looked better than my original and all vibration solved. Hope you manage to get it sorted, nothing worse than a motorway journey being shaken to death 😂
1st volvo love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 23:27   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMattV70R View Post
Hello there.

I’ve had this problem for a little while now and it’s very annoying makes the car very uncomfortable to ride in. The car is a 2005 V70R with just over 70k miles.

So the vibration is felt through the car and not the steering wheel, it starts at around 40mph and doesn’t really go away at any speed above that unless when it’s not under load. I’ve also noticed then when turning left and not accelerating I can feel a thudding sensation from the front right area of the car. I’ve had it in a garage to check all the bushes and they can’t seem to find the fault.

I’ve had all the tyres balanced and angled as only had new tyres put on it earlier this year. I’m thinking it could be a drive shaft as other than this wobble it drives really nicely and everything feels really tight. I haven’t looked at the engine mounts but the garage didn’t say they looked crappy or anything.

I’ve search the internet and people either say engine mounts or driveshafts for this sort of problem.

Would like you comments please. Also I’ve looked everywhere for a drivers side driveshaft for an auto and can’t find one so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome thank you.
The obvious thing would be a driveshaft, especially if someone has fitted a non volvo one sometime in the past. they can vibrate even when new.
Old Jan 29th, 2023, 14:09   #8
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Good morning (good afternoon there),
Threads such as these are tantalizing as the suspect parts are always the same.
I must ask if all 70K miles are yours because it's a tad early for a shaft to go bad. You can easily see a previous owner romping on an R. But still, destroying a shaft is hard to do.

Is there a shaft rebuilding shop either near you or to which yours can be sent? Stories of driveshaft acquisition are frequently horrible.

Also check the engine mount below the vibration damper. It has one lone piece of rubber which crushes down. It is in the front right of the car AND you must remove that wheel, 2 cheap 10mm nuts and fold the fender liner back to see it. It's easy to overlook.

I've replaced 2 of them in 3 V70's. One knocked rhythmically through turns. Imagine what stress the thing is under with a heavy footed driver.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2023, 14:59   #9
reggit
Premier Member

Don’t know if the driveshafts are different on the 4WD, the 2WD driveshaft on drivers side can pop apart on the inboard CV joint if the shaft is removed incorrectly. If it’s been put back together wrongly it shakes like a pig from about 40mph