Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

License plate lights

Views : 905

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2019, 21:01   #1
Marty5678

Default License plate lights

Hi, yesterday bought another S40 Saloon, however, have a couple of issues with the license plate lights.
1. The previous (halogen) bulb has somehow managed to break in pieces, we get some out, but there is something still stuck in there which doesn't allow the bulb to fit in correctly nor shine the way it's meant to. So is there a way to get the housing out and clean it out?
2. On the other one, the plastic bit that actually holds the bulb housing in the spot has broken off and it's kinda wiggly and can potentially fall out, any clues on how to replace that? Although it isn't that bad and still shines the light decently good (could be my LED bulbs though).
3. Is there a way to get a full LED housing so it's brighter and looks way better? Sort of what's possible on newer Volvos as below?
Marty5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 20:47   #2
dralphs

Easiest is to remove the trim from the boot lid and then with aid of torch and mirror you can disconnect the lights and remove them. Once you have them out you can see exactly whats going on and measure up to see if a trailer light or something from another car would work.
dralphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 21:29   #3
Ressurek

The bulbs are t10 w5w right ? i want to replace them too.
Ressurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 23:52   #4
Marty5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by dralphs View Post
Easiest is to remove the trim from the boot lid and then with aid of torch and mirror you can disconnect the lights and remove them. Once you have them out you can see exactly whats going on and measure up to see if a trailer light or something from another car would work.
If you're talking about the license plate housings - how do you exactly remove the trunk button trim? Because from what I understand you need to remove it before you can take out the light housings.
The second question is - is there any direct fit led light housings that would fit? I'd much more prefer those than anything else really or if not possible, what kind of 501 LED bulbs would be recommended? Do note I have a donor S40 available for experimenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ressurek View Post
The bulbs are t10 w5w right ? i want to replace them too.
Yes - also known as 501 bulbs. You can just remove the inner trunk trim and replace them that way.
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 16:52   #5
dralphs

Take a look at https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...43&postcount=7 for some guidance (yes i know it says v40)

This thread https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=164607 doesn't have photos but once you get the trim panel off you'll see the nuts holding on the surround.

Also look at https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=260384

Sorry can't be more to the point as i only have a V40 now not a s40
dralphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 17:21   #6
clarkey1984
Premier Member

The car in the screen shot, particularly the shape of the rear lights, looks like the post 04 shape new S40 to me, so info may not be correct.
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 23:25   #7
Ressurek

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
The car in the screen shot, particularly the shape of the rear lights, looks like the post 04 shape new S40 to me, so info may not be correct.
The car in the screenshot is a S80 MK2.
Ressurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 16:29   #8
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Ahh ok, I misunderstood the question, I'm unsure if s40s differ to v40s, but the V40 takes festoon bulbs, I've got COB led ones in my T4 and they are nice and bright in the original housings, I can't however remember what length they are, I bought ones that were a touch too short but managed to bend the legs in so they are a good fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l01-238_11.jpg (55.5 KB, 2 views)
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 02:30   #9
Marty5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by dralphs View Post
Take a look at https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...43&postcount=7 for some guidance (yes i know it says v40)

This thread https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=164607 doesn't have photos but once you get the trim panel off you'll see the nuts holding on the surround.

Also look at https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=260384

Sorry can't be more to the point as i only have a V40 now not a s40
Cheers for that, I'm sure those will be helpful to get the trim off along with Haynes manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
Ahh ok, I misunderstood the question, I'm unsure if s40s differ to v40s, but the V40 takes festoon bulbs, I've got COB led ones in my T4 and they are nice and bright in the original housings, I can't however remember what length they are, I bought ones that were a touch too short but managed to bend the legs in so they are a good fit.
Unfortunately, S40 takes 501 bulbs instead of festoon. Would have much more preferred festoon bulbs, but it is what it is. Hence why I'm looking if its possible to get a whole housing LED as the 501 aren't really that bright on the license plate.
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 19:37   #10
mathewst

Regarding 501 bulbs, I replaced mine in the interior with some COB aftermarket leds, and they shine like a sun.
Maybe a bit to bright for my taste so they should work ok if you need more light.
mathewst is offline   Reply With Quote