Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Windscreen washermotor not getting power

Views : 1894

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2021, 11:36   #11
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

Diagrams come from a DVD I purchased back when I first got my XC70, at the time you could find them all over ebay.

It contained vadis and the electrical diagrams for V70,XC70,S80,S60,V50,S40/V40 from 2000 - 2005

The diagrams do go back as far as 1994/5 but I don't know how complete they are as some of the year 2000 are not as good as the later ones.

I don't know if these are still available.

Last edited by XC70Bob; Jan 17th, 2021 at 11:47.
XC70Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 08:07   #12
Zzr1400

Morning my 2005 Volvo s40 2D windscreen washer isnt working. The headlight washer is working but its not coming out of the window washer. Any idea?
Zzr1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 11:17   #13
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzr1400 View Post
Morning my 2005 Volvo s40 2D windscreen washer isnt working. The headlight washer is working but its not coming out of the window washer. Any idea?
Can you hear the pump motor running ?

If so then you may have blocked jets or the inlet filter on the pump may be blocked.
XC70Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 22:43   #14
R-P
Master Member

Short solution: washer motor had seized, repaired it, problem solved.

I'm starting to doubt my sanity.

I was convinced I did not get 12V in the plug to the washer-motor when actuating the stalk on the steeringwheel and the headlight wiper next to it also doesn't work, so a wire-break sounded plausible.

Removed bumper and cover under the front window to track the yellow-silver and yellow-red wires coming from the washer-motor all the way back to the fuse-box.

Once I had the CORRECT yellow-silver wire (there's more than one ), and poked holes through the inculation with a VERY sharp measuring-tip, wires turned out to be OK. Since the relays switch to ground when not used, you can't tell a break plus a short to the chassis in the wiring from correct working wiring.

The breakers didn't have any correct washer-motors (or better "pumps", mine has two outputs, one for the front and one for the rear window, the V70 T5 pump I found just had ONE output and a different plug).

I ended up opening up the pump that had drowned, make it rotate again and filled it with vasiline so it would work again.

So the motor was creating pretty much a short, but not enough to blow the fuse. Haven't (nor have the energy) to dive into the headlight-wiper-issue.

Making the washer-motor run again together with putting the headlights on the central heating last night to get the condensation out was enough to pass the MOT...

They (MOT-garage) only bitched about the different color blinking lights (that have been in there since I got the car over a decade ago).

Whatever...

R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 10:50   #15
R-P
Master Member

I think the pump may have seized again already. Well, I did get it to pass the MOT.

It might aslso be that I didn't properly add the anti-freeze to the washer reservoir before the current freezing temps (minus 10ºC here, pretty absurd for the Netherlands, especially being a stone throw from the North Sea). I did add it (it should be good for -20ºC or so now) and thought it would mix enough by just pouring it in quite fast. But I did NOT actuate the pump to get the anti-freeze into the tubes, so maybe the tubes were just frozen solid.

R-P is offline   Reply With Quote