Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where have they all gone?!

Views : 4442

Replies : 65

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2021, 12:02   #11
Joseph Martin
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Our S70 needed a little professional TLC just before Christmas thanks to a car park argument at the golf club. The S70 is Mrs Jack's chariot, whilst I have my old S90.

When the S70 was returned to us the body shop manager asked us if we realised how much the cars were worth. Guessing at perhaps £1000 each, I was totally surprised when he said each of them reach would be five times that, maybe more. The S70 has well over 220,000 miles on, the S90 a mere 125,000, and both are in really excellent condition, considering their combined age of 47 years!

Apparently, as has been said, cars in good condition from the nineteen-nineties are increasing in value because they're recognised as well-engineered, built to last, and far less complicated than modern offerings. They're also very good to drive and, unlike the latest models, don't all look the same.

(What has happened to style and design? Honestly, can you tell the difference between the manufacturers these days without looking at the badge?)

The most modern car I've ever driven was a newish Ford Fiesta, loaned to me for a few days a couple of years ago. And compared with either of our old Volvos it really was dreadful. It felt cheap and tacky, flimsy in the extreme, and with a dashboard the complexity of which wouldn't have been out of place in a video arcade game.

The one older car that seems to be available still at bargain prices is the Saab 9-5. Oddly, the 9-3 (which is a Vectra in a fancy frock) is starting to command higher money, but the 9-5 appears to be relatively unloved.

The message has to be if you've got an older Volvo in good shape then hang on to it. And (as we have done) sort out some additional security as a matter of urgency.

Jack
I have been saying similar for a while now. In fact, I've bought up 'older' cars when cheap, and have a 1998 Toyota Starlet in exceptional condition which is for sale soon. It has been provisionally sold (pending payment etc), and I've deliberately eschewed derisory offers of £500 for it - the car will be fully tested and as I say, is near enough mint condition.

My Volvos - I've got two 850 T-5s which I both bought for under £500, and an 850 TDI which was also well under this. My 300 and 400 series, often knocked as the 'unloved' models, were in some cases either very cheap or free. I've got a couple stored away, whilst sadly two are deteriorating out in the elements. I hope to sort them all, but I always say 'you can't restore them if they are crushed'.

Interesting you refer to the Saab 9-5 - I have two which will hopefully be coming up for sale soon. One is a 2.2 TiD, the other a 2.3t Vector estate. The diesel is going to have some respray work done, which I've been told won't be worth it given the value of the car, whilst I've also been told that the Vector 'would break for more than you're wanting for it'. I feel that would be tragic. I advocate for the older, interesting car (essentially, the 'street scene' which I grew up with). My next hunt is for an early N or P reg S40, I think the lines are just so clean and crisp, and a C70 coupe before they all disappear. I sadly feel that the 200/700 and 900s are now getting beyond my price limit.
S40 1.6 (x2); 440 1.6i
Joseph Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joseph Martin For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 12:04   #12
Joseph Martin
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongSpearWorks View Post
It's the BMW E30 rush all over again!

I remember when you could buy (and there were plenty of them) an e30 touring for £1000 with a sensible spec and one or two owners with a full history. You can't even get a 20 owner box of spanners for that now!
A mate of mine bought an F reg one for a couple of hundred quid about eleven years ago...I was too young to afford even that. Now they're going for silly money.
S40 1.6 (x2); 440 1.6i
Joseph Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Martin For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 15:00   #13
Ross Slaughter
No longer Volvoless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
where are they ? Banger racing ... around 15 get written off at each race !
One reason I bought my 744 despite the new baby and threat of divorce, was seeing it turn up yet again eBay but for banger money this time and I really did not want it to see the track...
Ross Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ross Slaughter For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 09:46   #14
James_N
VOC Member

I wouldn’t touch either of those with a barge pole. Look like right sheds especially that white one. The blue one on car and classic looked ok to
Be honest I did see that one!

I do appreciate the difference between newer cars and older cars. I run a shed Peugeot 106 which I bought for £250 and got quite lucky as it’s needed nothing in a year and flew through its MOT but it leaks like a sieve! By contrast the Mrs has a 20 plate Audi Q2. It’s horrible. Electronic handbrake has a mind of its own, steering way over assisted, sounds like a transit van and devoid of any character!

I’d love another 740. I loved the 940 but the 740 I had was golden. The kids loved it, loads of space in it and it was bulletproof. Just a shame about the fuel consumption 😕 if I could find an LPG one though 😄
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 11:53   #15
lnparry

Last weekend I decided to get the MGF out of its lockup to do some essential food shopping.

Drove there in the 945 but the MG's battery was flat having been laid up since the start of December. Set out about taking the battery out to charge up at home when a 30 something attractive lady walked by and commented what a beautiful car - is it yours?

I was about to reply yes it was and explain that the, much maligned, MGF is a parts bin triumph using a metro chassis to build a mid engined, great fun, convertible sports car when I released she was looking at the Volvo. So sleek and retro she said and asked if it was a new model as she hadn't seen one before. She was amazed to hear that it was 23 years old.

So, if you want to impress young ladies forget sports cars and buy a 940!

Cheers,
LeeP
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 12:27   #16
omc 47
VOC Member

MGF................Oooooh now there's a car that can send your Bank balance to the floor and in the company of a Mechanic teach you some new words.

Like a lot of cars they're alright when they're running BUT!.......present company accepted of course....................best wishes

Last edited by omc 47; Jan 16th, 2021 at 12:34.
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 01:11   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnparry View Post
Last weekend I decided to get the MGF out of its lockup to do some essential food shopping.

Drove there in the 945 but the MG's battery was flat having been laid up since the start of December. Set out about taking the battery out to charge up at home when a 30 something attractive lady walked by and commented what a beautiful car - is it yours?

I was about to reply yes it was and explain that the, much maligned, MGF is a parts bin triumph using a metro chassis to build a mid engined, great fun, convertible sports car when I released she was looking at the Volvo. So sleek and retro she said and asked if it was a new model as she hadn't seen one before. She was amazed to hear that it was 23 years old.

So, if you want to impress young ladies forget sports cars and buy a 940!

Cheers,
LeeP
Send her my way Lee!

Joking aside, the worst part of the MGF is the K series engine, the 1.6 isn't bad but the 1.8 is usually prone to various troubles, most of which are well documented elsewhere.
Always fancied an automatic MGF but i doubt i could get into one these days!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 09:25   #18
slowprop

Nice thread.
It's exactly two years since I got my 940. It's taken a bit of sorting a few issues not apparent when I bought it but I really enjoy driving it. People comment a lot about how good it looks for a 25 year old car. It's used mainly locally at present because of lockdown but before that I did a couple of 600 mile round trips from Kent to the North East which it did without complaint. And I got a bit over 30mpg on those runs.
I've also got a Seat Ateca that's lost a lot more in depreciation over the last two years than I've spent sorting the Volvo. It's mainly my wife who drives the Seat. It's very nice. But I don't enjoy driving it as much as the Volvo.
I agree with the OP. Prices for these old things do seem to be creeping up. I'll be hanging on to mine.
slowprop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slowprop For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 09:46   #19
lnparry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Send her my way Lee!

Joking aside, the worst part of the MGF is the K series engine, the 1.6 isn't bad but the 1.8 is usually prone to various troubles, most of which are well documented elsewhere.
Always fancied an automatic MGF but i doubt i could get into one these days!
True enough Dave but my head gasket was sorted 5 years ago and the coolant level hasn't moved since.

Plenty of leg room. I'm 6' 2" and mid 60s but fit easily so I'm sure you would manage. Go on, spoil yourself Dave!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...us=1501&page=1

Cheers,
LeeP
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 10:14   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Looking at the cabin area, i think i'd have as much trouble getting out as i would getting in!

One of the reasons i sold my 827 Coupe was that getting in and out was becoming difficult and there was a lot more room to get in and out of that. Doors nearly 6ft long helped as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: