Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

trouble fitting projector lights

Views : 694

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2018, 13:24   #1
ernie bluenose

Default trouble fitting projector lights

Hi,
So i have bit the bullet and purchased the projector lights/indicators from PFS.

Now i know this job is supposed to be a piece of cake to change these over but nothing is easy for me. Out this morning with fingers dropping off and couldnt even disconnect the electrics. ( do the spring clips just flick off or is there a knack ) Do not want to break anything.

My car has electric beam adjustment but the projectors seem to be manual only as there is only one power connector or am i totally wrong.
If they are manual only do you just make the power plug safe.
Help with procedure much appreciated. Ernie.
ernie bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 15:05   #2
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Ernie

On both mine the elects are the same would be most surprised if yours any different, squeeze the steel spring clip and they should simply pull apart.

Headlamps held by 3 x 10?mm bolts. I have big hands and found that I could only fit / remove the lamps with a combo of short / deep sockets and a ratchet spanner.

Yep was bloody cold this morning ( not so bad at 0700 ) and has now really warmed up to 5 degrees !

Be careful not to overtighten bolts on refit - cheaper lamps have a tendency for the brass threaded insert to pull out
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella666 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 15:11   #3
Bigfella666
Premier Member

And as for the manual / elec adjustment projectors might be different.

On standard lamps it is possible to retro fit the elec adjusters. Just don't ask me how. Like you I have elec adjusters on the old lamps but not on the new. I fitted the new ones because I needed am MOT but have never made the time to work out how you convert them.

Bernie at Braydons told me it was a 2 minute job to convert to elec adjustment - before he walked off that afternoon never to be seen again.

Those who know him say he is a strange bugger !
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella666 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 15:33   #4
ernie bluenose

Thanks Bigfella666,

I am not to bothered about the electric adjusters if they dont fit so be it. Anyhow when they are manually adjusted they should not need doing again.

About the electrics you are probably right about them being the same but they just seemed different looking from above. I just gave up anyway with the cold.

Like yourself i am thinking of the MOT so i am praying it warms up a bit soon although the forecast is not good.

I can get the bolts out no problem and will be careful tightening them up. Cheers Ernie.
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 16:15   #5
Spawned66

If you bought the ABM projectors from PFS then you can use the electric adjusters from your old lights. If I remember, think the manual adjusters just pull off and the electric adjusters will pop back on. Think it’s like a ball and socket fitting.
I did these on my C70.
Spawned66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spawned66 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 16:21   #6
ernie bluenose

Thanks Spawned66.

It will probably become a lot clearer when i manage to get the original ones off. Cheers.