Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 1.6D No Boost - No error codes

Views : 16333

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2018, 18:53   #11
volmikevo

Well that was a very, very expensive 30 miles - limp home mode again arrggghhhhh. Back to the garage a couple of days ago and they now say that they've found a pipe going to the DPF is split and also blocked so new pipe on order together with a new DPF sensor as they think it might be faulty. So it looks like a few hundred £s more and got to wait 2 days for the spares to be delivered and fitted.

These emission regs are the pits!

Watch this space but don't hold your breath.
volmikevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 16:42   #12
volmikevo

Default V50 DrivE DPF & EOLYS issues

Finally got the car back again yesterday after another several £hundreds. After replacing the split blocked pipe to the DPF and replacing the DPF sensor, it stayed in limp home mode. So another regen and it has come back to life. Now done about 50 miles and it's still working. Hopefully this is the end of the DPF troubles - if not, it's up for sale!
The Following User Says Thank You to volmikevo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 16:53   #13
Petey80
Premier Member

Glad you've made some progress with it. Shame it's cost a small fortune.

Hopefully the issues is fixed now though and you can enjoy some trouble free motoring.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 17:34   #14
volmikevo

Default Aarrrgggghhhhhh

Another 50-60 miles and back to limp home mode again. No noises, smoke, dash warning lights, messages - aarrrgggghhhh - just no power. However when I took it back to the garage this morning, the engine management warning light was illuminated. No idea what this means at this stage but after £700 and still not working, I need to find a permanent fix. Changing the DPF is not the answer as the engine runs ok after a regen and, if the fault is being driven by the DPF, there needs to be some other input to the process to make it fail.

As the EOLYS tank ran out, it's been refilled and the DPF regened twice. After each regen, the engine runs for about 50-60 miles before failing again. Is it possible for there to be an airlock in the line from this EOLYS tank to wherever it goes to be used? My logic says that if the cooling system was refilled and not bled, an airlock would prevent circulation. If the brake system was refilled, the brake lines would need to be bled to make the brakes function.......... Could this be an answer?
Old Nov 25th, 2018, 22:18   #15
oldtimervolvo

Default blocked Diesel Particle Filter

Dear All,

My Volvo V50 recently passed its MOT and then shortly afterwards " Urgent engine service required" and the red triangle warning
light appeared. I have tried resetting the codes by pressing and holding the dashboard button and moving the ignition key to positing 1 and 2 and still the warning light does not go out.

I then took it to the garage and had a diesel particle Filter Deep Clean Treatment. Regen. The DPF before the test was reading 84 percent blocked and now after the test it is reading 74 percent blocked. The cost of a new DPF I have been told is £1500 and for the overnight soak of the DPF £100-£200.

Has anybody else experienced similar problems with DPF? I am in a dilemma as what to do next? Should I continue with the clean process or get a new DPF? The car has low mileage 60K. It is a V50 S D 1.6 diesel 2009.

Look forward to hearing from anyone.
oldtimervolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 00:21   #16
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
As the EOLYS tank ran out, it's been refilled and the DPF regened twice. After each regen, the engine runs for about 50-60 miles before failing again. Is it possible for there to be an airlock in the line from this EOLYS tank to wherever it goes to be used? My logic says that if the cooling system was refilled and not bled, an airlock would prevent circulation. If the brake system was refilled, the brake lines would need to be bled to make the brakes function.......... Could this be an answer?
Was the counter reset for the Eolys? Needs to be reset after filling.
If I remember correctly there is also a purge routine in Vida to purge the Eolys lines after topping up

Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 17:39   #17
volmikevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Hi

Was the counter reset for the Eolys? Needs to be reset after filling.
If I remember correctly there is also a purge routine in Vida to purge the Eolys lines after topping up

Iain
Reset counter for EOLYS ????? What is this counter and where / how is it reset? I've left everything to the garage but if there's any good info to help them, I'll willingly accept it.
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 18:26   #18
phutyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by volmikevo View Post
Reset counter for EOLYS ????? What is this counter and where / how is it reset? I've left everything to the garage but if there's any good info to help them, I'll willingly accept it.
It's done in VIDA, under:
Diagnostic/ vehicle communication/ click on adm/ advanced/ Resetting the tank level gauge
phutyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 22:14   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phutyle;2465011[COLOR="Red"
]I too can't understand why there isn't an easier way to gauge the EOLYS level[/COLOR], given that it's so integral to the car's operation.

Even in VIDA, you have to go through this weird ritual of restarting the car 3 times to get a bizarre reading of a fraction of 15 to see how much of this magic juice you have left. I'm currently on "10/15".

Then they hid the tank and its tubes in the most inaccessible place, so most people don't even know they have it.

Plus, there should be an indication on the dash when there's a regen in progress, so you don't end up stopping and interrupting it. If you knew it was going on, you could drive on a few miles until it finished, rather than arriving at your destination and then realising that the fan is still running when you get out of the car. I've never been able to tell by the "slight loss of power" (usually cruising on the motorway), "increase in fuel consumption" (that can go up and down depending on what side of a hill you're on) or things like the rear window heater spontaneously turning on to put more of a draw on the engine (never happened to me).

It seems like the whose system was designed to frustrate.
if the car is serviced properly you will never run out of the Eolys additive …

the additive level measurements are 16 step , which is handy for a digital system as they work in 1 2 4 8 16 32 64 etc groups of bytes just like computers … You will notice the instrument lighting is dimmed to 16 or 8 levels depending on the age ..
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 11:45   #20
volmikevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by phutyle View Post
It's done in VIDA, under:
Diagnostic/ vehicle communication/ click on adm/ advanced/ Resetting the tank level gauge
Thanks for that. I'll check with the garage to ensure that this is not the ongoing problem.

Edited to add: Just checked with the garage and they did do the reset after the EOLYS refill. Also they tell me that after the DPF regen, it registers 4 gms which is very good apparently so the DPF itself should not be causing the problem. Any ideas what might cause the system to believe that the DPF repeatedly blocks after 50-60 miles or what would cause it to block after the same mileage? This seems to be testing everyone - and causing me much grief and financial injury.

Last edited by volmikevo; Nov 27th, 2018 at 12:41.