Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 2015 d4 cut out on motorway.

Views : 392

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2018, 18:00   #1
Garryboy

Default XC60 2015 d4 cut out on motorway.

Hi 2 weeks ago we bought ourselves a 2015 xc60 d4 2.4 AWD.

On Tuesday night my wife was coming home from work when the engine died. She's was traveling around 70mph and managed to coast to the hard shoulder.

All electronics were working. The car would crank but not fire up. RAC sent a flat bed to get the car home. When got home sounded like it had no fuel. 2 bars showed on the dash.

I put 8lt of fuel in but it still would not start. Got it towed to local garage who replaced the fuel filter with a new Volvo one. He managed to get it started using easy start blet it idle but it died shortly afterwards. Diagnostic showed low fuel pressure.

He's taking about replacing the fuel pressure regulator.

After researching the forum I'm thinking the intank pump has failed.

The car died at the top of a steep incline. My research leads me to believe the intank pump will run continually when the fuel level is low. And as the my wife was likely hammering up the hill the engine would have been demanding a lot of fuel.

Am I on the right track here?

We bought the car in Manchester and brought it back to Scotland. The dealer have been great. And have offered to cover the cost of the repair. Take the car back for a refund or exchange for another.

I love the car but wife has lost confidence after her experience.

Any help would appreciated.
Garry
Garryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 18:05   #2
Lexman8
Premier Member

Hi,
This is the forum for the new XC60. You may get a better response if you post here: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187

Good luck.
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 18:08   #3
Garryboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Hi,
This is the forum for the new XC60. You may get a better response if you post here: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187

Good luck.
Doh! Silly me. Thanks though il post in that section
Garry
Garryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 18:15   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garryboy View Post
Hi 2 weeks ago we bought ourselves a 2015 xc60 d4 2.4 AWD.

On Tuesday night my wife was coming home from work when the engine died. She's was traveling around 70mph and managed to coast to the hard shoulder.

All electronics were working. The car would crank but not fire up. RAC sent a flat bed to get the car home. When got home sounded like it had no fuel. 2 bars showed on the dash.

I put 8lt of fuel in but it still would not start. Got it towed to local garage who replaced the fuel filter with a new Volvo one. He managed to get it started using easy start blet it idle but it died shortly afterwards. Diagnostic showed low fuel pressure.

He's taking about replacing the fuel pressure regulator.

After researching the forum I'm thinking the intank pump has failed.

The car died at the top of a steep incline. My research leads me to believe the intank pump will run continually when the fuel level is low. And as the my wife was likely hammering up the hill the engine would have been demanding a lot of fuel.

Am I on the right track here?

We bought the car in Manchester and brought it back to Scotland. The dealer have been great. And have offered to cover the cost of the repair. Take the car back for a refund or exchange for another.

I love the car but wife has lost confidence after her experience.

Any help would appreciated.
Garry
You have bought someone else's problem it seems ..I suspect it ran out of fuel , due to the float for the sender fouling something in the tank and giving a false reading on the gauge ., Best to get a new pump/sender unit fitted and make sure the pipe going over to the other side goes past the central plastic pillar in the tank on the side opposite to the float … 8 litres may not quite have been enough to get it going enough , 20 litres would be enough .

Hills make no difference even at minimal level as there is a reserve of 1 litre held in the swirl pot around the pick up which is constantly replenished ..