Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Iddling/running prob V70 T5

Views : 3798

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2010, 23:42   #1
g7mce
G7MCE

Default Iddling/running prob V70 T5

Hi,

got Y reg T5 with 210K on clock. Recently its been idling odly. Anyway last week it got even worse including stalling & now the engine managent light's come on & i getting "Emmision system needs attention" Occasianlly i get "Reduced performance"

I'v replaced the MAF sensor and no difference.

Local garage snap-on diagnostic reader gives following codes

P1238
P1172
p0172

Any help be great.
g7mce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 19:39   #2
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Have a look through this thread:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ighlight=P1238
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 10:56   #3
g7mce
G7MCE

Default Next steps?

Hi,

read your link and info, printed copy out & took to local garage, who also replaced the rear Lambda sensor.

They could find no sign of vacuum leaks etc.

Upon re-setting error codes it seem to run fine, for about 20mins, then back to square 1 with engine management light back on.

Should i replace pre-cat lambda sensor, and if so anyone recommend a source.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 17:40   #4
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

As the link said, changing the rear O2 sensor is a waste of time and money.

Start by cleaning the throttle body then I'd go for the MAF if there are no vacuum leaks.

Replace with genuine Bosch not a cheap copy, use the 10 digit Bosch part number to source a replacement.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 18:55   #5
g7mce
G7MCE

Angry Further (Not much further)

Hi,

well have now had the the pre-cat lamda sensor and thottle contle unit replaced at a volvo dealer, then the pipe going from the intercooler to the thottle controller, and after 20mins uts back to square 1. Wont tickover, stalls etc.

WTF do i do next?

Could it be something simple thats been overloocked.

Pee'd off BIG time.

Dave
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 00:05   #6
greenhornet

I feel your pain, I have changed the MAF sensor in the past, and that did nothing. In fact I've never heard of a MAF sensor ever failing despite getting constant advice to change them. I had the ETM changed with a second hand part that was off a smooth running car, no change. I then suffered a camshaft seal failure, which I had fixed, and I have checked the PCV system and it's fine, the heated elbow is clear and no pressure out of the dipstick hole. The experts who fixed the camshaft seal overfilled the oil which vented excessively onto the coil packs on top of the engine, which led to a breakdown on the freeway for my wife. I found the hot oil had flooded onto and killed some coils, (code 0300, random misfires) and replaced 3 coils to get it running again, and have 2 more on order as the idle is still not right. I also changed the plugs. I'm getting an occasional P2096 code, which is post catalytic mixture too lean, so I have changed the rear o2 sensor. Currently the idle is very bad when cold, and just acceptable when warmed up (it doesn't get below about 10deg C here). My plan is to fit the 2 new coils when they arrive, which will give the new o2 sensor time to settle in, if that doesn't work I'll change the front o2 sensor, when that probably doesn't work I'll clean out the removed ETM and try that.

Sorry I probably don't have your answer, but comparing notes may help. You could try pulling out your MAP sensor and temp sensor on the air pipe leading to the throttle body, mine sometimes get oily and can be easily removed and cleaned with carby cleaner. I also find it essential to own an OBDII code reader.
greenhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 07:27   #7
greenhornet

Default Problem found, idiot maintenance

OK, I got stuck in under the bonnet and pulled out the ETM. I found the gasket had been dog eared during recent installation by a moron I had paid to do the job. I flattened the gasket and used it with permatex to refit the ETM. Car runs much better now, and hopefully will keep improving as it re-learns. I've still got 2 old coil packs to replace as well. Still thinking I'll get a new front o2 sensor as the car has done 280,000.

I will try and upload a pic I took of the gasket and ETM. I also have internal pics of the ETM, if anyone is interested email me on budgorr@gmail.com.

Old Aug 19th, 2010, 00:07   #8
g7mce
G7MCE

Default Nearly there (I hope)

Hi,

well i replcaced the cheap OEM rear o2 sensor with a Bosche part from www.eurocarparts.co.uk, was not much dearer than cheap 1!

Car ran ok for few days, then the dreaded light come on, now showin up again is P1172. Rotor control fault i believe, what does this entail?

Dave
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 09:59   #9
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

P1172 is a fuel trim code and most likely a faulty MAF if there are no vacuum leaks.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 10:07   #10
g7mce
G7MCE

Smile Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
P1172 is a fuel trim code and most likely a faulty MAF if there are no vacuum leaks.
Hi,

i replaced the MAF a few weeks ago with a cheap OEM part, and the pipe from intercooler to thottle controller on inlet manifold was replaced cos it seemed to be leaking. ill get garage to check for further leaks.

Thanks

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to g7mce For This Useful Post:

Tags
automatic transmission, high mileage, ignition system, lambda sensor, running poorly