Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 Choice Or Other Car Suggestion?

Views : 1991

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2014, 20:10   #11
TiredGeek
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancar View Post
and economy - after a 140 mile round trip to Dumfries yesterday on mixed roads, the trip computer stated 57.1 mpg average. I know the trip computers are optimistic, but it will have been around the 50 mpg mark.
Post '55 plate and you're into 185 D5 with the DPF so economy suffers, expect sub 45 for that same run.
Mine does low 30's around town, mid to high 30's on my (very) high speed motorway cruise, and mid 40's when pottering about in the country. DPF has never been a problem for me and wifey does 7 miles each way to work every day for about a month before it goes for a decent run.

Don't pay more for active suspension, it's very costly to replace those shockers and having had an XC with and without I honestly can't say it makes much difference. I've only noticed a significant difference when doing speeds that shouldn't be done on the roads I was doing them, if you get what I mean

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 08:06   #12
BigAndy

What model was that then which produced 50+ MPG?? Only that I haven't heard of that at all before!

Also, what is the DPF model? Economy wise, I do 17 mile commute to work, probably 5 mile of that is getting in/out of town, the rest is on an A road, 50/60mph. Then want it for trips to pick eBay stuff up/camping trips etc so as long as the MPG on a run isn't bad then not too fussed.

What about transmission issues I've read about before? Any particular years affected by this?

What do you guys pay for tax and what models?

Also, the 7 seater option, can that be fitted to a 5 seater model if it doesn't have it factory fitted?

Thanks,
Andy
BigAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 21:42   #13
TiredGeek
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
What model was that then which produced 50+ MPG?? Only that I haven't heard of that at all before!
The older 163 models do better to the gallon than the 185s, but obviously have less oomph. You want '03 to '05 for the 163

Also, what is the DPF model? Economy wise, I do 17 mile commute to work, probably 5 mile of that is getting in/out of town, the rest is on an A road, 50/60mph. Then want it for trips to pick eBay stuff up/camping trips etc so as long as the MPG on a run isn't bad then not too fussed.
DPF is Diesel Particulate Filter. Stops the black smoke from the exhaust pipe. But, makes the engine more thirsty. The system periodically burns the collected soot out of the filter, this is the Regeneration Cycle. Your commute shouldn't cause any problems as the regen will have chance to complete. Is fitted to all 185 models.

What about transmission issues I've read about before? Any particular years affected by this?
Most notable trany issues are pre '03 as they have a different system. You NEED a Haldex.
Other than that, the angle gear is a point of failure and they're not cheap, also the splined collar joining it the gearbox wears and fails.
Search the forums for tips on testing the AWD before buying.

What do you guys pay for tax and what models?
About £295 if I remember right.

Also, the 7 seater option, can that be fitted to a 5 seater model if it doesn't have it factory fitted?
AFAIK yes. The interior is exactly the same as V70 so that widens your options.

Thanks,
Andy
Hope that helps

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 22:36   #14
Simon Jones
Premier Member

My '04 XC70 D5 auto is showing an average of 49 MPG over the last two tanks. Even if we assume that is 10-20% margin of error, then it's at least around the 40 MPG level which isn't too bad for an 1800Kg car. Never got stuck in the snow as I used to with my previous V70. When funds allow, I'll be replacing it with another XC, although at 210,000 miles it's a got a few more years in it yet
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 08:27   #15
BigAndy

TiredGeek....that is spot on! Thanks very much. Gonna look into the retro-fitting of the 7 seater option but have had some comments along the lines of it being rubbish.

For the use of AWD system the MPG doesn't seem to suffer THAT bad. The more I look at the volvos the more I like them.

£295 seems well steep!!
BigAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2015, 13:58   #16
lauriet

Flabbergasted to hear such glowing opinions of XC70s. Mine is 2006 diesel D5; after 2 years of light use I have:
Radio and all audio failed, rear parking failed, suspension useless, xenon dips unrepairable (therefore no MOT), consumption awful and falling, eats tyres, fuel tank leaks...
Would I buy another? What do you think?
lauriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2015, 16:39   #17
Bigneil

Just before I bought my V70, my short list was Volvo V70 (or any large AWD Volvo estate), Subaru forester, Subaru outback, Skoda Octavia 4x4, Audi A6 Avante quatro.

Unfortunately my budget became heavily restricted so I ended up having to go for the first banger that popped up, and ended up with a two wheel drive V70.
Old Dec 19th, 2015, 00:27   #18
RM955I
Premier Member

Never had an XC70 but would add this...

My V70 is a love/hate relationship. One the one hand I like the understated image; the fact that it still feels strong at 160k; the solid feel of it; the fact that it has generally been reliable; the sheer practicality.

On the other hand, I don't think much to the interior build quality; it's totally uninspiring and uninvolving to drive; the long list of common faults ranging from HU850 with chocolate internals to poor wishbone bush design (remedied on later versions and replacements); the fact that my ABS pumps is playing up and Volvo still want the best part of 2k (fitted) to replace something that really should last as long as the car (yes, I know I can get it repaired cheaper); the soggy ride; the poor fuel economy; silly little things like top and lower torque mounts, exhaust hangers, stupid handbrake design (pads and shoes....really!?!) ; having to cut holes in the dash (out of sight) to get to a leaky heater matrix, the suspension on mine is sh*gged, it could be cured with new shocks and springs but there's no way I'd spend that kind of money on a 10 year old, 160k car, etc etc etc.

If/when I replace it, I'd love an XC70 but the reliability would worry me; I'd consider another (P3) V70 but that is slowly giving way to the idea of an E class estate. If I wanted AWD I'd consider a Subaru but they do seem to date quickly: Volvos do seem ageless.

I guess I'm one of those people that has no issues getting my hands dirty, doing my own work but I really don't expect to have to worry about expensive electronics and stupid cr*p like the ignition lock transponder ring occasionally playing up. I guess as cars get more complicated then the days of running them for 200k are disappearing as things inevitably date and fail.

Last edited by RM955I; Dec 19th, 2015 at 00:32.
RM955I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2015, 22:11   #19
4candles
I've Been Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM955I View Post
Never had an XC70 but would add this...

My V70 is a love/hate relationship. One the one hand I like the understated image; the fact that it still feels strong at 160k; the solid feel of it; the fact that it has generally been reliable; the sheer practicality.

On the other hand, I don't think much to the interior build quality; it's totally uninspiring and uninvolving to drive; the long list of common faults ranging from HU850 with chocolate internals to poor wishbone bush design (remedied on later versions and replacements); the fact that my ABS pumps is playing up and Volvo still want the best part of 2k (fitted) to replace something that really should last as long as the car (yes, I know I can get it repaired cheaper); the soggy ride; the poor fuel economy; silly little things like top and lower torque mounts, exhaust hangers, stupid handbrake design (pads and shoes....really!?!) ; having to cut holes in the dash (out of sight) to get to a leaky heater matrix, the suspension on mine is sh*gged, it could be cured with new shocks and springs but there's no way I'd spend that kind of money on a 10 year old, 160k car, etc etc etc.

If/when I replace it, I'd love an XC70 but the reliability would worry me; I'd consider another (P3) V70 but that is slowly giving way to the idea of an E class estate. If I wanted AWD I'd consider a Subaru but they do seem to date quickly: Volvos do seem ageless.

I guess I'm one of those people that has no issues getting my hands dirty, doing my own work but I really don't expect to have to worry about expensive electronics and stupid cr*p like the ignition lock transponder ring occasionally playing up. I guess as cars get more complicated then the days of running them for 200k are disappearing as things inevitably date and fail.
So you don't want to buy my faultless XC then?
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2015, 22:50   #20
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Skodas are vws, the octavia is a stretched golf. Plenty around at very low prices. Reliability wont be an issue.
Apart from the scout which seem to be almost unavailable, and has all the complexeties of 4wd that audi and volvo do.

Do you really need 4wd or just want it ? Good tyres make a lot of difference.