Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil recommendations

Views : 2400

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 20:21   #1
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Default Oil recommendations

I know this has been done to death, but I emailed Castrol regarding their high mileage oil for older engines.
The gist of their reply was
GTX Magnatec for all 240 engines.
The 'High Mileage' version is really only aimed at cars which are actually BURNING quite a lot of oil, so really for engines in fairly poor condition, which won't of course apply to any members cars, will it!?! More related to engine condition than mileage.

Seriously, my 240 is doing something like 4000 miles to a pint, so I don't think that really qualifies as an oil burner does it!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 20:46   #2
swedish brick

I use that high mileage stuff in my capri, it burns a bit of oil if you use normal 10W40, the high mileage stuff is 15W40 I think so it dosnt get burned at all. The valve oil seals are old and need replacing really but I cant be bothered!

My volvo uses normal 10W40 and is fine. It hasnt done much mileage though.
I wouldnt worry about your volvo loosing oil, its not that bad, just check it now and again.
swedish brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 21:12   #3
BrianH
VOC Member

Default Oil consumption

From 59k I started using Mobil 5/40 then 0/40 fully synthetic. Consumtion 6000ml/ltr. Cylinder pressures in spec.
At 125k Amsoil 2000 series 0/30, bypass oil filtration and oil analysis.
At 290k after head gasket and all head seals, now 6500ml/ltr consumtion.
Yet to check cylinder pressures. Running on LPG from 125k.
Last oil change 100k.

Brianh
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 19:42   #4
amsoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post

From 59k I started using Mobil 5/40 then 0/40 fully synthetic. Consumtion 6000ml/ltr. Cylinder pressures in spec.
At 125k Amsoil 2000 series 0/30, bypass oil filtration and oil analysis.
At 290k after head gasket and all head seals, now 6500ml/ltr consumtion.
Yet to check cylinder pressures. Running on LPG from 125k.
Last oil change 100k.

Brianh
I've been told that there is someone who has done over 100,000 miles on Amsoil without an oil change, would this be you Brian?
amsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 20:38   #5
Velorum
VOC Member

100K without an oil change?
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 19:29   #6
amsoil

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velorum2003 View Post
100K without an oil change?
Oh yes indeed, running on oil analysis!!!!

Amsoil advertise 25K or 35k but their record as far as I am aware is 409K on an engine that already had 250k or so on the clock! That was a lorry.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 19:37   #7
Velorum
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsoil View Post
Oh yes indeed, running on oil analysis!!!!

Amsoil advertise 25K or 35k but their record as far as I am aware is 409K on an engine that already had 250k or so on the clock! That was a lorry.
Thats amazing!

I was under the impression that oil degraded over a period of time, losing its lubricant properties and collecting impurities. Also - changing oil removes swarf from newish components and other things that can score bores and block oilways. I would have thought that the oil filter needs changing at the least - I guess to do so you would need to take out the oil before the filter is removed to avoid losing it.

I feel guilty when I go for more than 6000 miles without a change!
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 19:54   #8
chow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Dawe View Post
I know this has been done to death, but I emailed Castrol regarding their high mileage oil for older engines.
The gist of their reply was
GTX Magnatec for all 240 engines.
The 'High Mileage' version is really only aimed at cars which are actually BURNING quite a lot of oil, so really for engines in fairly poor condition, which won't of course apply to any members cars, will it!?! More related to engine condition than mileage.

Seriously, my 240 is doing something like 4000 miles to a pint, so I don't think that really qualifies as an oil burner does it!
any good quality mineral oil from one of the main producers will be more than good enough i would not bother with a syn just use a good mineral oil such as magnetec and change it every 5k
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 21:59   #9
amsoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velorum2003 View Post
Thats amazing!

I was under the impression that oil degraded over a period of time, losing its lubricant properties and collecting impurities. Also - changing oil removes swarf from newish components and other things that can score bores and block oilways. I would have thought that the oil filter needs changing at the least - I guess to do so you would need to take out the oil before the filter is removed to avoid losing it.

I feel guilty when I go for more than 6000 miles without a change!
For those who are rightly sceptical the links here

https://www.amsoil.com/testimonials/409000.aspx

Be warned that if the video of the strip down if there too is very long and IMHO very boring. Being the States if this all wasn't true and provable verifyable and repeatable (not sure how you do that bit) Amsoil would get taken to court. Just ask yourselves a question , why do all other oil producers want you to change your (their ) oil at 3500 or 5,000 or 6,000 etc?

As for changing filters yes he did change them and may have been running bypass filters too (cant remember) Amsoil filters outperform all other brands and then by some. No arguments needed its a simple fact.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 22:20   #10
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

I too used to change the oil in my car every 3000 miles or so when I was running Mobil 1. Some years back I switched to Redline fully synthetic and then realised the difference that good quality oils make in that they do indeed last longer. I've found that a simple test is all that's required. Remove the dipstick and wipe the oil off between your thumb and index fingers. Rub both fingers against each other and compare the consistency against that of fresh oil. You will notice a difference when the oil has started to "go off". I've been exceptionally happy with Redline oils, which like Amsoil, frequently have very good reviews from users. Having an engine that now sees 8000rpm means I can no longer afford to take any chances, especially with the oil.

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote