Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oh no, I`ve bought a D5 V70

Views : 1696

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 24th, 2007, 09:25   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

[QUOTE=Big Lee1;339332]Well according to the sales guy the bi xenon headlights my car has the headlight glass can be swapped rather than the full light unit. The inside of the glass looks like it`s got a little bit of frost on it so he said he`d change them for me

QUOTE]

the bi xenon glass can indeed be changed there is a bonding kit available , the old glass is cut out and new bonded in , now are the glasses the same on these as the regular H7 bulb headlights?? If so this would be a cheaper fix on these rather than the £200 each complete headlamp .
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 09:32   #12
Silverbrick
Deep sea Skiver!!!

[QUOTE=Clan;339334][QUOTE=Big Lee1;339332]Well according to the sales guy the bi xenon headlights my car has the headlight glass can be swapped rather than the full light unit. The inside of the glass looks like it`s got a little bit of frost on it so he said he`d change them for me

Quote:

the bi xenon glass can indeed be changed there is a bonding kit available , the old glass is cut out and new bonded in , now are the glasses the same on these as the regular H7 bulb headlights?? If so this would be a cheaper fix on these rather than the £200 each complete headlamp .
He told me only the Bi Xenon`s glass could be changed like that & not the standard headlamp. I`s going into his local Volvo dealer for a service before I get it & I assume they`ll do the glass change. I`ll check it over when I come I pick the car up.
Silverbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 20:32   #13
DieselDoNicely
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lee1 View Post
I`ve only gone & done it, bought a 53 plate V70 D5 SE. 54k miles 1 owner. Bi Xenons, sunroof, leccy passenger seat, FSH, new tyres on the back, new headlight glass, phone cradle taken out and a service from a Volvo dealer.

I`m rather looking forward to doing a bit of tinkering now, I mean when I get it

Heated leather here I come!!!!!!
The Phone cradle may have been a Nokia job, you can cahnge the holder and get a Nokia phone to fit. Its a great addition to have, all of my cars are fitted with them even the 850. The 05 D5 has the "change a plug in phone cradle" with no need for any rewire
2005 V70 SE D5 Geartronic 205,000 miles 55
2011 V70 Lux D3 Geartronic 220,000 miles
DieselDoNicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 22:26   #14
v8disco

Lee. Yours sound almost exatctly the same car as mine, except I don't have the sunroof. Best advise I can give is don't go modding it until you have had a chance to see how good the standard car is. I took mine out today to the Hogs Back Brewery to pick up the christmas ale. Its about a 20 mile drive each way through Pirbright/Normandy and is a superb test of a car. My old 406 estate used to struggle abit as it was a bit soggy, but the D5 just gave such an entertaing and enjoyable drive that I didn't want the journey to end. Remember this is a big, heavy standard diesel estate car and it can really put a smile on your face.

Cheers. Martin
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 14:35   #15
Silverbrick
Deep sea Skiver!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDoNicely View Post
The Phone cradle may have been a Nokia job, you can cahnge the holder and get a Nokia phone to fit. Its a great addition to have, all of my cars are fitted with them even the 850. The 05 D5 has the "change a plug in phone cradle" with no need for any rewire
I don`t get that many calls on my mobile & if I get them while driving I can always ring back! According to some research even hands free calling distracts the driver a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8disco View Post
Lee. Yours sound almost exatctly the same car as mine, except I don't have the sunroof. Best advise I can give is don't go modding it until you have had a chance to see how good the standard car is. I took mine out today to the Hogs Back Brewery to pick up the christmas ale. Its about a 20 mile drive each way through Pirbright/Normandy and is a superb test of a car. My old 406 estate used to struggle abit as it was a bit soggy, but the D5 just gave such an entertaing and enjoyable drive that I didn't want the journey to end. Remember this is a big, heavy standard diesel estate car and it can really put a smile on your face.

Cheers. Martin

Ok Martin! It`s the first time I`ve had a diesel car so I`ll be learning how to get the best from it before changing anything. The strut brace mod is one I`ll ber doing sooner as I had one on my 850 T5 & it seemed to make a difference.

I`ll give it a week
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 21:20   #16
Silverbrick
Deep sea Skiver!!!

Well I`ve got it!
I picked it up today & after filling it with normal type diesel checked the tyre pressures as I had 2 new Eagle F1`s fitted on the back & found the rears at 40 psi & the front at 23psi So after rectifying that set off

At an average over the 170 miles home of 50mpg I`m happy the heated seats kept my bum warm & it was a good run home apart from the bad weather

I`m dying to give it a good wash & polish and get some Rain X on the windows as the rain was just smearing along the glass & was horrible, a good clean under the bonnet & the wheels off & polished will get it up to standard

An ipod adaptor will be fitted, one of those http://www.imiv.ca/cms/ I think & a look at the condition of the main bushes that go will also be done.

I`m looking forward to some nicer weather so I can get stuck into it now!

Lee
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 21:26   #17
JIM C
Forum Support Team

Glad your happy with your new car.
Post some photos once you have got it cleaned up to show off your new car.
All the best Jim
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 21:27   #18
The Mad Taff
VOC Member

Sounds good, I'm a tad envious as I'm looking for a diesel next, my little S40's fuel consumption is killing me at a 70 mile (minimum) round trip every day for work.
The Mad Taff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 10:33   #19
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lee1 View Post

An ipod adaptor will be fitted, one of those http://www.imiv.ca/cms/ I think & a look at the condition of the main bushes that go will also be done.
Give us a shout if you need any help with the installation or set-up.

p.s. don't bother asking for a pre-load of the firmware. The default one (free) is enough to get you going and you can easily download and install any other firmware you like from their website.

2019 V90 T4 (me) & 2017 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD (other half)
Gone but not forgotten: 2016 V60 CC AWD, 2015 V70 D4, 2005 S80 D5 and 2001 V70 2.4
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 12:42   #20
raithc70

Good luck with your new D5,
1998 C70 T5 GT
raithc70 is offline   Reply With Quote