Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 T5 Revs between gear change

Views : 4050

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2008, 22:22   #1
jam

Default 850 T5 Revs between gear change

My "new" 850 T5 has a few issues which I am currently working on, performance etc is great but since getting it at the weekend I have noticed during gear changes the revs drop really slow, idle is @ 900?
jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 09:30   #2
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam View Post
My "new" 850 T5 has a few issues which I am currently working on, performance etc is great but since getting it at the weekend I have noticed during gear changes the revs drop really slow, idle is @ 900?
In my experience the 850 T5 is slow to drop revs between gears especially at WOT.., i have always put this down to a inefficiency of the recirculating valve system. Of course with a turbo charged engine the ability for the inlet side to loose built up boost is paramount...I found an improvement with a Dump valve...Ultimately it is something i have learned to live with, tho it does sometimes effect quick gear changes...
If you want areas to look at i would consider checking the recirc to inlet manifold pipe and consider cleaning the throttle body, cable drum and Idle valve.....
A idle of 900 RPM is perfect....
Cheers
Jod

Last edited by Jod T5; Nov 21st, 2008 at 09:33.
Jod T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 11:09   #3
liuleichan
Premier Member

Also worth noting that the IACV will be majorly involved in the control of revs when lifting the throttle.
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 12:25   #4
jam

Thanks all, I've got the heavy accelerator problem too, i'll have a look this weekend. Also looking to drop the oil are there any issue with non original filters? Ta
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 12:34   #5
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Thanks all, I've got the heavy accelerator problem too, i'll have a look this weekend. Also looking to drop the oil are there any issue with non original filters? Ta
The genuine filters have a one way valve in them which helps to maintain oil pressure...They are also well priced inm comparisson to pattern parts...
I would always use a genuine filter as i would not be sure what pattern filters are up to OEM specification...
Cheers
Jod
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 19:32   #6
jam

Cheers for that! genuine it is, btw oil debate again! 10/40semi ok I also change my cars every 6 months anyway as I get genuine vauxhall very cheap
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 14:08   #7
goldyy

Quote:
My 850 2.5 20v has this problem.
I have tied all things and the only way I "cured" it was to disconnect the plug to the idle valve.It now idles @750and does not increase revs when cold but rev lag has gone which makes it more driveable AND it uses less fuel
goldyy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to goldyy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 15:48   #8
saturnuranus
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldyy View Post
My 850 2.5 20v has this problem.
I have tied all things and the only way I "cured" it was to disconnect the plug to the idle valve.It now idles @750and does not increase revs when cold but rev lag has gone which makes it more driveable AND it uses less fuel
I noticed a similar effect by removing the ABS ECU. Apart from the speedo not working the revs fell off almost instantly when depressing the clutch which allowed me to swap gears as I always dreamed

Think I'd rather have the ABS and speedo working though...

This video of an 850 at The 'Ring seems to demonstrate the sort of gearchanges we'd like. I certainly couldn't manage anything that snappy in my T5.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by saturnuranus; Nov 29th, 2008 at 15:56.
saturnuranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 16:19   #9
goldyy

Cool.One day?
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 19:42   #10
jam

cheers for that, had a similar problem in a mk2 golf gti a few years ago same cure disconnecting the idle valve - not good on cold mornings tho'