Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie Electric window woes

Views : 812

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2018, 13:47   #1
Goby

Default Newbie Electric window woes

Hi there, new member here I got a 1999 Volvo V70 2.5D, 1 owner from new and been garaged all its life.

Anyway I got a problem with the electric windows, I have tried searching the forum but not found anything.

Ok so I can raise and lower all of the windows from the drivers door switch however they will not raise or lower from the individual door using the switch’s on them. The front passanger door window switch has the lock car doors function which still works fine. Any tips on where to start look to fix the problem. Thanks
Goby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 16:50   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

On the driver's door switch pack there's an "On-Off" rocker switch - this disables window opening on all other windows, so are you sure this isn't simply in the "Off" position? If not, then I'd suspect this switch or the wiring to it is faulty as there aren't too many faults that would cause non-opening on all windows if they work from the driver's switch pack.
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 09:21   #3
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Sometimes a sign of the previous owner having been a heavy smoker and the switches getting a bit 'gunged up' (been there etc.!).

If the above post does not work...

It is (reasonably) easy to extract the switch packs to work on them (don't let the cable fall back thorough the hole... it's a bugger to get out again!.

Once out, they are reasonably easy to dismantle (I recommend taking photos first and being careful!!!) so that one can have a look at the contacts. They can be cleaned with an appropriate contact cleaner.

I won't say that the above will be the ultimate solution; but it did work for me once.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 09:40   #4
Goby

Ah thanks for the advice and i have tried using the rocker switch but doesnt seem to make any difference.

The previous owner wasnt a smoker but i will try and take out the switch like you suggest and look/clean the contacts.

Many thanks!
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 10:08   #5
Joe H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goby View Post

The previous owner wasnt a smoker but i will try and take out the switch like you suggest and look/clean the contacts.

Many thanks!
The window switches are one of the (few) weak points on the car so very likely the drivers switch pack is faulty but it could always be the other 3 switches which are....our rear 2 stopped working at the same time.
Joe
Joe H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 12:37   #6
Aubergine S70

I’ve recently had the same issues. Take the switches that’re faulty out of the door. Once it’s out there’s some copper contacts. Dirt falls in between panels in the door car and gathers on these strips. Get a small screwdriver or cleaning tool and clean them up. Once they’re free of dirt the contact should be good and work.
Hope this helps
Aubergine S70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 10:18   #7
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
I’ve recently had the same issues. Take the switches that’re faulty out of the door. Once it’s out there’s some copper contacts. Dirt falls in between panels in the door car and gathers on these strips. Get a small screwdriver or cleaning tool and clean them up. Once they’re free of dirt the contact should be good and work.
Hope this helps
Nahhhh.... sorry, waste of time.

If you drive the thing, that's a botch that will work short-term... the contacts will already be pitted, and burnt, so get more pitted and fail again. Cause? Age,and poor spark suppression in the stock units.

Known issue: Covered loads of times....
£20 delivered Just put a LHD cluster in, as per the "Killers & Std. Faults" list. Don't mess around with the old one or even a new Volvo item. This doesn't work, at least not for long, and takes more time, or more money.

LHD drive pattern versions are sold by the Chinese - better made, with more spark-suppression and come in at £20 delivered. At that price, they've become throwaway. Only they won't work in a RHD car, but can be cobbled in - with a bit of prodding, as per the "Killers & Std. Faults" list.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Feb 21st, 2018 at 11:13.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 14:16   #8
DrivingOnTheSofa

I have the same year car and have had this issue. I just took the drivers door unit out, removed the plugs one at a time and cleaned every contact with a knife. Has worked fine since. Hopefully it works for you!
DrivingOnTheSofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 19:06   #9
oliverpervasive

Default V70

Generally it is the drivers switch which malfunctions - I found removing and giving the contacts a good clean worked.

There is a bit of a knack getting it back in.....

There are a few old threads on this forum - so have a search as I found how to do it from here.

You could ease the back ones out/remove and test the continuity with a multi meter if you wanted to check these first.
oliverpervasive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 09:02   #10
Goby

Smile

Ok thats great help everyone i am hoping to get sometime at the weekend to have a go at this and will report back! Many thanks!