Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BIODIESEL, veg oil, anyone use ?

Views : 3781

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 13:29   #1
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Default BIODIESEL, veg oil, anyone use ?

what do you use, what do you think of it ? Do you save money ?
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 14:10   #2
v70cd

HI

Many years ago when diesel was just over £1 a litre, I saw biodiesel be offered for around 70p at the time. After the first few fills, the fuel filter will get clogged and need changing (additional cost) but I had no modifications in my 1998 V70tdi. MPG was around the same, slight BBQ smell otside the car and saved a few pence.
Problem was when the biodiesel station was unexpectedly closed, and I was low on juice,then I had to return to normal diesel. Which probably meant another filter change if I kept switching between them, so overall, prob didnt save too much money.
So it's worth a think if you have access to boidiesel 24/7 and can change your own filters and calculate your journeys, then it may work out for you.

It was too much hassle for me and I went back to plain, diesel smelling diesel !!! Never tried veg oil though...hmmm...haha

Regards

240 DL, 240 GL, 740 GLT, 440 GLT, 960 3.0CD, S40 1.6, 240GL, 240 SE, 262C Bertone, V70 T5, V70 CD TDi, C70 2.0T.
v70cd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 16:08   #3
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post
what do you use, what do you think of it ? Do you save money ?
Aral, BP or Shell only, that way I know the fuel will have enough Bio content for good lubricity, will be clean and not gell below minus 23c in winter. Those companies (BP own Aral) also add enough solvents to the fuel to prevent gum deposits forming in the injectors.

Veggie oil can be bad news in lubricity terms (Depends what is used) and tends to cause dirty fuel tanks and blocked filters.

Bio diesel will gell only just below freezing in winter and although some owners thinks it causes dirty filters, it is not the real cause. The issue with using Bio is that it has a higher degree of natural solvency, so will tend to dissolve dirt in the fuel tank if it is dirty, BUT that tank sludge (Diesel bug) then gets caught in the fuel filter.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 17:40   #4
Billggski

I use it in a Pajero for a while, but it only becomes cost effective if you can collect waste oil for free or very cheap and refine it yourself. It costs about £1 a litre and, as said, you need to change the fuel filter regularly as it flushes the muck out of your pipes and it doesn't like the cold.
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2016, 16:04   #5
Bungo
Premier Member

Much depends on the car you intend putting it in with which engine. SVO (straight veg oil ) is not Biodiesel. Home brew bio is not the same as commercial bio.
Volvo's tend to be ok on bio, older ones may be ok on SVO but you have to mix it with regular in winter or have a pre heater fitted.
Filter change is necessary but only at initial changeover period.
I use commercial bio in the PSA engine and it runs great. Much cleaner on carbon build up. It may only be a little cheaper as you get a few less mpg too, but then I use it as car prefers it and it's recycling and less polluting.
Old Sep 4th, 2016, 17:37   #6
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

There was a bloke on here a week or so ago claiming to run an old s40 diesel on sump oil, and acceptable levels of smoke out the back. I think it was a wind-up.
Old Sep 12th, 2016, 15:16   #7
Superchicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post
There was a bloke on here a week or so ago claiming to run an old s40 diesel on sump oil, and acceptable levels of smoke out the back. I think it was a wind-up.
I think you may have been referring to me...

It works 100%

currently im running 20 ltrs of engine oil to 10 ltrs of diesel..

I currently own 3 volvo's 1.9 d's much to my wifes frustration, my brother also runs 2004 1.9 on the same mixture..

Anyone in the south Wales area is able to come and check my claims..

I change the fuel filter every month just to help the car a little, i also pre filter the oil before i put it in the tank..

Why did i choose WEO over WVO? i didnt want to bother with the water separation, and im able to get an abundance of WEO when i require it.

Happy to go through this further if required :-)
Superchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Superchicken For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2016, 15:22   #8
Superchicken

Sorry I couldnt upload the pictures from work ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-09-12 15.24.31.jpg (111.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-09-12 15.24.07.jpg (124.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-09-12 15.23.45.jpg (153.6 KB, 36 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Superchicken For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 16:12   #9
Fearone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchicken View Post
I think you may have been referring to me...

It works 100%

currently im running 20 ltrs of engine oil to 10 ltrs of diesel..

I currently own 3 volvo's 1.9 d's much to my wifes frustration, my brother also runs 2004 1.9 on the same mixture..

Anyone in the south Wales area is able to come and check my claims..

I change the fuel filter every month just to help the car a little, i also pre filter the oil before i put it in the tank..

Why did i choose WEO over WVO? i didnt want to bother with the water separation, and im able to get an abundance of WEO when i require it.

Happy to go through this further if required :-)
Interesting, what fuel system does the 1.9 use?
Fearone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 21:07   #10
Superchicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearone View Post
Interesting, what fuel system does the 1.9 use?
It runs the trusty bosch pump which takes a fair amount of abuse...

To add I've also run it on used gear box oil and used hydraulic oil with no ill running issues
2001 Volvo V40 1.9d se (115 bhp)
2001 Saab 95 Aero Hot (270 bhp) + Vw Golf GTI td (150 bhp)