Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BIODIESEL, veg oil, anyone use ?

Views : 3775

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2016, 23:21   #11
Fearone

Vp37?

I used to run an old vp37 rover on svo a few years back, then the price of veg doubled over night!

I currently use svo 50-60% blend with my 2nd gen bosch common rail astra, yes i said COMMON RAIL!

I wouldn't do so on the d5 though, Volvo's don't need much encouragement to break lol
Fearone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2016, 11:23   #12
Superchicken

not 100% what one it is.. i'll have a ganders later..

its working well for me.. i was running around 80% oil to diesel ratio but have backed off to around 66%..

Starting this morning the outside temp was 12 degrees and she started on the 5th crank which i dont think is too bad.

As it gets colder i'll reduce to around 50/50 and see how i get on...
2001 Volvo V40 1.9d se (115 bhp)
2001 Saab 95 Aero Hot (270 bhp) + Vw Golf GTI td (150 bhp)
Superchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2016, 20:52   #13
Father Ted
Master Member

I can't comment on Volvo, but I ran my Toyota Estima on straight veg oil for years.
The filter is an issue: once.
Once the fuel system is cleaned out, then there is no more crud to block the filter.
High pressure diesel systems will not run on veg, though: it's too thick.

Little known fact: There is no such thing as a diesel engine. It is a compression ignition engine designed by a Mr (well, Herr) Diesel as a cheap engine for farm equipment. It was originally designed to run on peanut oil: until the petrochemical industry got their hands on it.

If you can use straight veg oil, NEVER mix and match with bio diesel. If they don't finish the process off properly it will react with the veg oil in the tank. The side effect of the reaction is glycerin. Now that will block everything!
Old Sep 15th, 2016, 21:57   #14
dingov70
Master Member

Anything using a Bosch / Denso or Smiths/CAV rotary or in line will all quite happily use veg oil , bio diesel , mixtures of same or pump diesel .
I have experience of toyota emina , my 2.9 sprinter , mondeo 1.8td ( snapped that pump quill ) & now v70 tdi . The mondeo was fitted with lucasDPCN injection pump & they were not the strongest built unit & mine sheared the drive quill trashing the metering head . All my fault ! .

If you are using bio diesel & it stripping muck from the fuel system , it is usually because the maker has failed to make it correctly , leaving a mix of methanol and or hydroxide components behind ( hydroxide part is used in soap making , not a great step to work out why muck moves & methanol is a great solvent )

My mondeo only needed a clean fuel filter after it cold plugged in very low temps & wax dropped out of bio chocking off flow through filter element . Everything else has had no problems , covered over 25,000 miles over past 15 years on mixes of bio , fresh veg & pump fuel no probs other than mondeo & the pump was a known weak point in the injection system
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 07:42   #15
skyship007
Premier Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchicken View Post
It runs the trusty bosch pump which takes a fair amount of abuse...

To add I've also run it on used gear box oil and used hydraulic oil with no ill running issues
I would never put hydraulic fluid in a diesel engine, cos it contains different additives that might not be compatible with the oil seals in the engine.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 08:57   #16
Superchicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
I would never put hydraulic fluid in a diesel engine, cos it contains different additives that might not be compatible with the oil seals in the engine.
It seems to have done no harm thus far..

The red Volvo I run 103 bhp 1.9d is my test car as such.. it takes a fair amount of abuse from collecting logs, tip runs, rough roads every day.

I run this car on anything I can get my hands on to see what levels this car will run on and if its even possible. I have another 2 1.9d Volvos that are in full working order that I have accumulated and a spare engine 103bhp 1.9d so I’m not overly worried if this engine legs go, least that way I know where the limits of this engine would be.
2001 Volvo V40 1.9d se (115 bhp)
2001 Saab 95 Aero Hot (270 bhp) + Vw Golf GTI td (150 bhp)
Superchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 11:36   #17
Mr steptoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Ted View Post
I can't comment on Volvo, but I ran my Toyota Estima on straight veg oil for years.
The filter is an issue: once.
Once the fuel system is cleaned out, then there is no more crud to block the filter.

Ran two citroen BX1.9 in neat veg oil for years back in the ninties without any problems.
Also fitted a range rover with a nissan diesel 3.3 straight six, did 60k miles on pure veg oil, nothing added, no problems even in winter.
Used to buy 25 litre drums for about £3.50 if buying 200 litres or more.

Wouldn't dream of running any of the modern diesels on veg oil, plus veg oil is just as expensive as diesel nowadays.
Mr steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 18:40   #18
woodfordhalse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchicken View Post
I think you may have been referring to me...

It works 100%

currently im running 20 ltrs of engine oil to 10 ltrs of diesel..

I currently own 3 volvo's 1.9 d's much to my wifes frustration, my brother also runs 2004 1.9 on the same mixture..

Anyone in the south Wales area is able to come and check my claims..

I change the fuel filter every month just to help the car a little, i also pre filter the oil before i put it in the tank..

Why did i choose WEO over WVO? i didnt want to bother with the water separation, and im able to get an abundance of WEO when i require it.

Happy to go through this further if required :-)
+1
The great thing about this is after you change the engine oil you fill the fuel tank up with it

Ive been using 100% WVO for about 6 years . Im not a great fan of used engine oil for the simple reason its hard to see if there is any water or sludge in the container so I just let it settle out for a long time..
Oh my car is an old 940 with the hated D24tic

I don't dilute the oil its all 100% but do heat it to engine coolant temp which is around 85-90c
woodfordhalse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 18:55   #19
Yorkie2016

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post
There was a bloke on here a week or so ago claiming to run an old s40 diesel on sump oil, and acceptable levels of smoke out the back. I think it was a wind-up.
No It's Not a Wind up: I used to have a Mate who'd Get sump oil from a Garage where he'd Mix the stuff up with a Little Red Diesel (BUT the Engine was a Fairground Engine which was to Generate Power for the Rides ) It was an Albion Diesel engine of which We had to Get a nine foot Long Rope where three of us would Pull at the Massive Start Handle: First three seconds of starting Albion up there was Black Smoke and Soot: after the Three seconds the Exhaust was Clear of Smoke: It would work on any Diesel Engine: But you have to consider this: Sump Oil is Used oil and has Much Carbon within it, therefore if you Use it without Filtering the Sump oil; you are Adding wear and tear to both Piston and also the Pot not a Good idea:
Yorkie2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 19:01   #20
Yorkie2016

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearone View Post
Vp37?

I used to run an old vp37 rover on svo a few years back, then the price of veg doubled over night!

I currently use svo 50-60% blend with my 2nd gen bosch common rail astra, yes i said COMMON RAIL!

I wouldn't do so on the d5 though, Volvo's don't need much encouragement to break lol
Actually I Often Buy Rape seed oil and Use it neat without any Diesel at all except for the three Ltrs that were within the Tank:
Yorkie2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yorkie2016 For This Useful Post: