Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Modified dipstick tube ?

Views : 554

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2018, 21:29   #1
byootox
Premier Member

Default Modified dipstick tube ?

Due to various old age leaks I picked up a new pas reservoir cap and engine cap seal and also a modified dipstick with the 2 seals on it at the local Volvo dealer
But when I went to pick up these items i noticed a "pipe on order" bit on my receipt.
When I quizzed the guy about that he said its part of the modification to stop the dipstick from leaking.(mine pops up if the engine is driven full tilt"
Anyone tell me if the dipstick tube is actually necessary as I didn't actually ask for it ?
It's all paid for and I'm happy enough to fit it ...IF... it was part of the mod but can anyone shed some light on this one at all please ?
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 22:29   #2
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I changed the tube and dipstick on mine, as far as I know you do need to change the tube (see here) it was a while ago but as I remember the tubes are different widths. It's a relatively easy job to do as I recall if you can raise the front on ramps or axle stands and work from underneath.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 01:43   #3
rogerb
Lets take it to bits

As above, the dipstick with two o rings, needs a new tube to fit in.
Make sure you get the right one, as two versions. ME7 and early engine.
The parts list confused my local dealer.
I ended up giving them the part numbers.
rogerb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rogerb For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 04:04   #4
Tetleysmooth
Master Member

And make sure you put a smear of oil on the o rings the first time you put it into the new tube.
Tetleysmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 12:00   #5
Clogs
Clogs

Default Replacement dipstick

The replacement dipstick with two O rings won't fit in the old dipstick tube properly, so you have to get a new tube as well.
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clogs For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 19:22   #6
byootox
Premier Member

Thanks for that guys, that's fine then.
Hopefully they will have it in next week for me.
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 12:17   #7
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

You'll be crying in your beer tonight.

If it truly pops-up, there's a PCV issue. You want it to pop-up to relasse that pressure until you fix the root cause, else you'll blow a seal, and then it's all over.
You should have -ve crankcase pressure, and clearly you haven't.... the seal is not to stop the dipstick popping up, but to stop it being sucked down, or more correctly, it's to stop air getting in past the dipstick, and ruining the vacuum in he crankcase. If your dipstick is lifting I should worry, and until you find out why, let it lift.

Read the 'Killers & Std. Faults' thread.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Feb 21st, 2018 at 12:32.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 00:00   #8
byootox
Premier Member

Just a quick update on this for any others that might go down the same road and want to know the difference.
I picked up the modified dipstick tube yesterday and it's wider at the top to take the different style dipstick with the twin seals.
The seal on my old one was hard and the dipstick was pretty loose.
CNG.. I done the breather system a couple of years ago on it more as a precautionary measure than anything else, it wasn't choked at the time and the ports in the block were clear st that time.
It only does it if I have the car at daft speeds and rpm, otherwise it's fine.
The glove test showed negative pressure at the cap at idle up to about 2000 rpm (car static) and the ptc opening was perfectly clear.
Admittedly a fair bit can happen in 3 years to an engine and the breather check at idle doesn't mean it's perfect higher up the rev range.
The car was mapped about three years ago so the boost pressure will be higher than stock and the crankcase will have a higher positive pressure at the high rpms.
Quite normal for a forced induction factory engine to have a little pressure in the crank case when working hard.