Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any comments on V 50 with diesel engine?

Views : 3736

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 09:53   #21
7050man
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher
Bit off thread here, but I have heard that the diesel engine in the V50 is actually sourced from PSA and is not a Ford engine. I have noticed that some people are saying that it is a ford engine. Anyone know the definative answer?

Cheers

Philip
Not for sure, but I'm 99% sure that PSA and Ford developed these engines together. Ford's 1.6Tdci is also the same engine that is in the Peugeot 407 1.6Hdi.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:39   #22
avtur1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7050man
Not for sure, but I'm 99% sure that PSA and Ford developed these engines together. Ford's 1.6Tdci is also the same engine that is in the Peugeot 407 1.6Hdi.

I'm sure you are correct. I've seen a press release on a diesel motor forum that explains the joint approach Ford/PSA on the engine range. But I don't think the D5 is part of that arrangment. Pug use the V6 diesel for their top end, I think; thats the one used in the Jag S type/LR Dicovery.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 13:36   #23
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

So is the 2.0D the same engine as would be found in, say a 2.0 TDCI Mondeo, or is the joint venture product only used in certain Ford brands?

It is a good engine anyway!

Cheers

Philip
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 14:27   #24
7050man
Master Member

Quote:
So is the 2.0D the same engine as would be found in, say a 2.0 TDCI Mondeo, or is the joint venture product only used in certain Ford brands?

Cheers

Philip
Good question. I think that Ford have several 2.0 ltr diesels. I'm not sure what engines are fitted to what car and why.

I'm sure Jag X type has different engine to V50 but I'm not sure if this is the same engine that is in Mondeo. Certainly output is different on std engine (128bhp I think).
Politics, car launch and manufacturing unit cost probably have a hand in all of this. If I were Ford, I would only want one production line making only one engine.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 14:31   #25
7050man
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtur1
I'm sure you are correct. I've seen a press release on a diesel motor forum that explains the joint approach Ford/PSA on the engine range. But I don't think the D5 is part of that arrangment. Pug use the V6 diesel for their top end, I think; thats the one used in the Jag S type/LR Dicovery.
D5 was Volvo's own. Prior to that they had a 2.5 ltr 5cylinder that I think was Audi. Have a look on the V70 forum, as there is probably more people in the know than me. You'll certainly get an idea of reliability there too.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 16:34   #26
avtur1

i've just been into my local showroom to collect some brochures. Looking at V50 vs V70. First impression of the V70 cockpit is that everything seems well positioned; Volvo clearly know how to get it right. So how on earth did they come up with handbrake position on the V50, great for the passenger but not the driver. I was driving a new Focus last week with a similar handbrake position, it was dreadful. I'l try not to let it put me off but its a poor first impression. Anyone going to tell me you get used to it?
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 10:13   #27
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Well, I have had a V50 for the last 9 month and must admit that I have not found the handbrake to be a problem at all. Only slightly inconvienient when there are a couple of bottles in the cup holder, but it is no worse than the classic shape V70 cupholder in the centre bin lid.....

As for knocking the centre console when changing gear - yes, possible, especially for those with fat fingers - but again no worse than accidently switching on the hazards in a classic shape V70.

Overall pleased with the car as a design and the way it drives, refinement etc..., not pleased with:

- Dealers.
- Build quality.
- Reliabilty.

Cheers

Philip
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 07:54   #28
7050man
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtur1
i've just been into my local showroom to collect some brochures. Looking at V50 vs V70. First impression of the V70 cockpit is that everything seems well positioned; Volvo clearly know how to get it right. So how on earth did they come up with handbrake position on the V50, great for the passenger but not the driver. I was driving a new Focus last week with a similar handbrake position, it was dreadful. I'l try not to let it put me off but its a poor first impression. Anyone going to tell me you get used to it?
Not noticed any problems with gearstick position. Unlike old V70 classic (already mentioned)where gearstick did result in hazards being switched on until you got used to it.

My only complaint would be that console buttons are too small and difficult to use, again until you know where they are. Looks good though.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 13:45   #29
Marmoset

Quote:

Cheers

Philip
The engine in the mondeo is an older duratorq unit. The one used in the V50 is a joint PSA?Ford unit but is actually the PSA version,so is slightly different to the one used in the Focus - AUtocar rated teh french one as slighlty better somehow??
Marmoset is offline   Reply With Quote