Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any comments on V 50 with diesel engine?

Views : 3740

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 14:58   #1
chris m

Default Any comments on V 50 with diesel engine?

Hi,

I passed our local Volvo dealership today and the V 50 caught my eye. After a quick look I left with the sales brochure and the honest thought of getting one.

Has somebody any experience with the V 50 so far? Good or bad would be of interest! Especially any comments about the diesel engine would be very much appreciated! Is that engine known from the older 40 series and is it good?

Thanks for any comments, Chris

(still with RWD but tempted!)
chris m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 15:14   #2
5lab

Default RE: Any comments on V 50 with diesel engine?

quick search found

Hot oil treatment for new Volvos
24 February 2004

Volvo is likely to offer a high-powered diesel engine in its new S40 saloon and V50 estate.

Currently the only diesel model available in the S40 and V50 line-up is the 136bhp 2.0-litre, but Volvo says it is considering offering its 2.5-litre D5 diesel already used in other models.

Developing 163bhp, the D5 engine should enable the cars to reach 60mph in under nine seconds, achieve a top speed of 140mph and return around 45mpg on the combined cycle.

Volvo has already confirmed that it will offer a cheaper entry-level 1.6-litre diesel engine in the S40, which will go on sale late this year. The previous-generation S40, still on sale branded as the S40 Classic, will then be discontinued.

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 16:46   #3
ted

You may as well get a Focus,it'd be a lot cheaper.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 17:42   #4
5lab

it'd loose its value quicker though, so in the long run the volvo may actually be cehaper
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 18:28   #5
Rooster
Speed freak

The new S/V40 diesel engine is a cracking engine until it cleans its Exhaust gas recirculation filter, usually around ever 300 miles and the engines throws a wobbly and looses all its power.
Not all the diesels do this just some of them, volvo have not yet found a cure but are working on it, its just abit hit and miss at minute trying to cure teething problems out.

The 1.6 diesel along with the 1.6 petrol will be released later in the year, 1.6 diesel will only be avalible in the S40 and the T5 awd will only be avalible in the V50.
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 20:19   #6
trig21

The 2.0 td engine is fantastic, the torque seems to be never ending it also helps that half the body work isnt steel.
The only thing that may let it down is the 6 speed box, when shifting the gears are extremely close together and its easy to grab 6th instead of 4th, but apart from that FANTASTIC ENGINE
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 01:22   #7
RJF

Can't help re: diesel engine but I have 400 miles / 12 days worth of experience living with a V50 2.4i SE. Also own a BMW318i which replaced an Audi A4 Tdi. The V50 replaced an S60. That should be sufficient for a comparison?

Looked at a wide variety of cars over recent months, but as comfort and driving position were highest on my list of requirements, i returned to Volvo.

Pro's:
The V50 is almost on par with Audi build quality. Fit, finish and quality of materials is certainly equal to the BMW.

Refinement and ride quality are both is excellant. Steering is far superior than system deployed in other Volvos of late. Turning circle like Volvo's of old. No more embarrasing 5 point turns.

Seating is up there with the best but seats firmer than those in S60/V70 (drove an 'S' model courtesy car with cloth seats today. Found these better than the SE's leather).

Positive gear change. Read somewhere that it's easy to hit center console buttons whilst changing gear. Definitely do not agree with this.

Standard equipment, especially 'SE' very generous although dolby pro-logic stereo isn't standard (£250 option). Would also suggest opt for winter pack. Definitely an advantage during winter months, but I'd suggest car without winter pack not desirable at trade-in, hence lower trade price.

V50 completely isolates you from the outside world. Unlike the S40 or even the V70, crosswinds don't seem to affect it. Even the wake created by large lorries will not budge the V50 from a straight line. Coupled with the refined engine, this makes the V50 the best motorway / long distance cars I've experienced.

Con's:

Fuel consupmtion: Even with the lightest right foot, V50 returns poor fuel economy. Similar driving would yeild 34mpg from S60, and approx 37mpg from 2.4i V70 Classic. V50 struggeling to maintain. 30mpg.

Cabin layout: No doubt you'll have your own opinions of the 'floating' console. Stereo controls better than S60/V70 counterparts. Using the heating system is a nightmare though! Buttons too small, and set too low. You have no option but to take your eyes off the road if you want to play around with the air direction / heated rear window / demister etc.

Storage Space: What storage space? The door storage bins are just big enough for my mobile phone. All other oddment area's near useless. (seat back pockets and pockets under the seat fronts help). The glovebox although narrow, is deep and much more practical. The cupholders though... What is the point of having them? You can't use them when you release the handbrake; you can't use them when you change gear...

Handbrake: Handbrake set up for Left-hand drive cars. It isn't as awkward to use as it looks (unless the cupholders are in use), but make sure you're familiar with the person sitting in the front passenger seat! If you weren't familiar beforehand, then you will be after you release the handbrake.

Wipers: The windscreen isn't flush with the front pillars - it's recessed. This means that during crosswinds, wipers ocassionally hit the side pillars. I don't know if this could possibly damage the V50's paintwork, but the sound generated by this certainly doesn't fill you with confidence. (I will ask if these wipers can have their settings adjusted when I next have the car serviced).

The V50 does have it's faults, but it's the best all rounder for my circumstances. The V50 is an expensive car. If I didn't require one of the best seats in the business, I'd have probably gone for a delivery mileage Ford Focus Estate or even better, waited until Skoda release the Octavia Estate. (Can't believe I just said that, but if you ignore the pre-conceptions and test drive the Octavia, you'll see what I mean. I averaged 62mpg for the 24hr I had a 1.9Tdi car!) I note the comment re: deprecation, but the Ford is almost half the price of the Volvo. And you should be aware that no matter what you read, Volvo's suffers from heavy depreciation as well (you can pick up a year old V70 with average mileage for between £17000-£18000 from a main dealer. The same car costs £27K new).

One last point worthy of note. In the two weeks since closing the deal, I've yet to see another V50 on the road. So expect to become center of attention whilst in queued traffic. If you don't like this fuss, then add privicy glass to the list of options.

Hope the above info is of use to someone.

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 18:27   #8
gelly62

hi Chris,
I have recently part exchanged my volvo v70 d5se for a v50 2.0dse.In general its a very good car,well built and very good handling.There are many points that other people have made in this forum which i totally agree with.The centre console looks great ,but the buttons are too small and the air con controls can sometimes be hit during gear upchanges.there are downsides,most notably the engine.
My previous D5 was superb.Almost as quiet as a petrol,it had the beautiful volvo 5 cylinder burble,was powerful ,economical and totally reliable.In contrast the 2.0 Ford sourced diesel in my V50 is noisey and rough and althought its torquey its very thirsty.For example i have covered 8000 miles,i do not drive hard and even with a 6 speed box i am only averaging 37mpg.Pretty poor in comparison to my v70 which being a bigger car returned a consistant 43mpg.
The v50 engine also failed at about 7000 miles when the exhaust gas recirc valve gave up,resulting in power loss.This took over a week to repair due to no egr valves being available in the uk.(had to come from Sweden)
I see from one of the other forum contributers that the V50 may be offered with the D5 diesel engine.If that is the case,thats the one i'd go for,or a petrol.But not the 1.8.I had one of these as a loan car when mine was off the road.A totally gutless engine that needed the nuts reving off it to get it to perform,not quiet or economical.I am beginning to think it was bad news for Volvo to get involved with ford.Their engines are not to good!!
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:20   #9
Marmoset

In contrast with Gelly I am very pleased with the engine itself. i only picked the car up on Sunday but already have 350 miles on it, it seems very smooth, quiet at cruising speeds and pretty powerful/torquey. I reckon on 45mpg at the moment and it should get better as it runs in a bit more (usually cruising on motorway at 80mph with very little town driving) The whole car is a lot quieter than my previous petrol Mondeo. Handling is very tidy although the steering is a little uninvolving (which encourages a more relaxed driving style - one of my main aims was to get a car that stops me hooning around)

Hope this helps

Richard
Marmoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 16:12   #10
NJH26

Sorry,
Nearly fell of my chair, isn't this the same V50 that they've put a T5 into? Why are you showing an interest in any other engine????
Go on - you know you want to!

Neil
'99 V40 T4
NJH26 is offline   Reply With Quote