Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any comments on V 50 with diesel engine?

Views : 3715

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 16:06   #11
4 forty
VOC Member

Default euro 3 and euro 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster
The new S/V40 diesel engine is a cracking engine until it cleans its Exhaust gas recirculation filter, usually around ever 300 miles and the engines throws a wobbly and looses all its power.
Not all the diesels do this just some of them, volvo have not yet found a cure but are working on it, its just abit hit and miss at minute trying to cure teething problems out.

The 1.6 diesel along with the 1.6 petrol will be released later in the year, 1.6 diesel will only be avalible in the S40 and the T5 awd will only be avalible in the V50.
what is the difference between euro 3 and euro 4?[2 litre engine] the top speed and 0 to 60 time are the same.
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 17:16   #12
7050man
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 forty
what is the difference between euro 3 and euro 4?[2 litre engine] the top speed and 0 to 60 time are the same.
E4 has exhaust filter fitted to meet E4 spec,(reduced particulate output), I suppose due to the fact that this engine cannot burn cleanly enough to meet the spec without one. Periodically though, the filter has to go through a "recirculation" process which basically means that all the crud is burned off.

I don't know exactly how this happens, but I've been told by my dealer that some fluid is in some way sprayed onto the filter or maybe burned in the combustion process (he didn't enlarge ), to clean the soot off.

In driving terms I've only noticed this happening a couple of times in 5000 miles of driving and both times I was on the motorway. Car did not feel too different in terms of performance, but I noticed that economy went to about half on the instantaneous readout. this lasted for about 4 miles and then it all cleared. Performance was noticably better afterwards.

According to Volvo, economy is less than E3 engine. I suppose again due to the fact that you are inhibiting exhaust flow. I have not found my car to be uneconomical really. On a trip to Wales last week driving fairly carefully, I managed to get the av mpg to read 69.3. Not totally accurate, but not far off. Typically I'll get about 56 sticking to no more than 70mph.

Only downside for E4 engine is extra service expense due to fluid needing replacement at service. Personally, I think the benefits of less harm to the environment and not smoking out the driver behind under hard acceleration outway the costs.
These engines are clean. Compare the exhaust pipe of an E3 and E4. E4 is almost clear metal, whilst the E3 will be what you expect a diesel to be like, black and horrible.
By the way, Volvo/Ford are not the only people to use particulate filters, Saab use the same process in their GM engines and I think Peugeot do too.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 17:41   #13
4 forty
VOC Member

Default euro 3 and 4

thank you 7050 for your detailed answer, i have puzzled over the difference for a while now.
i am contemplating replacing my old s40 with the new 2 litre diesel model, so am researching things before i make a final chioce.

paul
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 23:43   #14
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Thumbs up

O.K. so mine is as S40 not a V50, but same 20.0 diesel, and fittings.
Yes, I too cold have gone for a Focus, or even a C-Max, with the same engine, and same chassis, but I went for the Volvo because I have had two major back operations, and the seats are of overriding importance!
My wife has a C-max, and although the seats are OK, they are not in the same league as the Volvo's, so I am very happy there.
Mine is and ex-demonstrator, bought xmas 2005 with 6000 on the clock, now has 17000miles on it.
Average fuel consumption 46mpg, thats town driving, main roads, Norfolk rural roads (cart-tracks!) and motorway. Last weeks trip to Derby and back averaged 52mpg, average speed 61mph, never below 85mph on the M1, so not exactly gently. These are 'real' fuel consumptions, not the over optomistic computer figures!
I have no problems with the gearbox in forward, but I do find that its sometimes a little too easy to select reverse instead of 1st at traffic lights etc. Stronger detent spring needed (WHATS wrong with the nice, simple, positive lifting collar as fitted to my 240!!). Will pull happily from about 45mph in 6th, but you need to check the 'instantaneous mgp' cos sometimes its actually more economical to drop a gear. 2000rpm = approx 77mph in 6th!!
I love the surge of torque feeling!
I know some people dislike the Dnamic stability thing, butI suspect that it might have saved my life over christmas, when our local authority stopped gritting the roads at midnight cos it was raining, then the rain stopped, and it froze hard. I was driving past Norwich Airport at about 5.00am and lights started flashing on the dash. Dynamic Stability skid warning... road was like oiled glass! Even with ABS took me quarter of a mile to slow from 40 to stop at a roundabout. If the Dynamic Stability warning hadn't alerted me, I'd hav been perched on the top of the roundabout. Talking to another driver that day, he had passed 17 cars in ditches etc various on the way to Weybourne that morning!
AC controls are a bit small, but with climate control I just set it and forget it, the temp control knob is big enough to find without taking your eyes off the road, and the system does the rest.
Tyre wear is looking good, I think I'll get about 24000 out of the fronts, and perhaps 30000 from the rears. Radio excellent, cd autochanger in radio is good too. Winter pack is a real boon.
Car is much quieter than the C-max, and more economical. At 70+mph the main source of noise is tyre noise, engine in inaudible
Gripes:- Space saver spare.. I hate them.No rear wiper on saloon, and it needs one,(I use rainEx on all the windows except the screen now, and that is a big help).
Rear seat space a little tight, but I'm 6'2", my son is 6'3", and my daughter is 6'0", as they sit in the back, perhaps the seat space would prove more than adequate for not so tall people! Boot access a little hard on the saloon, boot very deep. but opening small, however, as seats split/fold even on the saloon, its not really a problem.
I like it!! Very much!
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 19:27   #15
paul g

Question Volvo diesel

As some will know, I too am looking for the next Volvo. My V40 will apear for sale and yuo will know it has been cared for. My wife has the new S40. No exhaust probs, no other issues save the fact the key did not make that starnge clicking noise when it 'recognises' the key going into the igntion.

I am offered at Ilford Stratstone a Ruby red with calcite leather SE with sunroof and 2,700K at £17490. The car, registered last september, would retail with Volvo as new at about 22K. Does anyone think this is too much?

The s40 is like the proverbial human product leaving a spade. In France we travelled back from Paris to Calais in about 5 minutes (well maybe not). Have to agree the leather seats are MUCH firmer than mine (V40 SE T plate) but is that wear and tear?
paul g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 19:33   #16
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

My S40SE was 9 months old when I got it with about 6500 on the clock, With metallic and the winter pack, I think retail was around £21400, I got it for £16500.
So about £17k for a V50 seems about par for the course
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 19:42   #17
paul g

Thanks,

Got the price down to 16720 and comes with sunroof so cannot be bad
paul g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 19:45   #18
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul g
Thanks,

Got the price down to 16720 and comes with sunroof so cannot be bad
Hell... go for it!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:08   #19
avtur1

Time is approaching when company wheels need to be changed. I currently have Mazda 6 Estate (136 turbo diesel) which has performed well and faultlessly for over 55k miles. One of my options is the V50 D5, I'm taken with the extra power and auto box. I'm just wondering if I might live to regret the change though....having spent some time reading posts on this and another Volvo forum I'm getting the impression that I might not get the same reliability that the Mazda has given me. Has anyone managed 60k miles on 30 months without a single problem? Another car on my list is the XC90 D5 (would cost the same as V50 on my lease scheme!) any comment as to whether they are any more reliable? Any comments appreciated....
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:39   #20
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Default 2.0D PSA sourced?

Bit off thread here, but I have heard that the diesel engine in the V50 is actually sourced from PSA and is not a Ford engine. I have noticed that some people are saying that it is a ford engine. Anyone know the definative answer?

Cheers

Philip
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote