Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

From XC60 to Porsche Macan or BMW X3?

Views : 160106

Replies : 1567

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2016, 20:41   #41
GMcL
0's and 1's

Does the next car have to be an SUV?
Have you seen the new Alfa Giulia due at the end of this year?
3.0Bi-turbo with links to Ferrari, 500-ish horsepower, 600Nm, 0-62 3.9 and 190mph for £53k.
It's a bit of a looker too for a saloon.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2016, 21:24   #42
XCeed

At first sight, there has never been a better choice out there...F Pace, GLC, Macan, LR, X3, Q5, etc, etc, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty they all fall by the wayside for one reason or another. I hummed and ’arred for a year and shortlisted them all (well the BM and Merc derivatives I have owned before - still have the aching spine to prove it) and nothing came close to the deal for...another XC60...! Keep the faith guys!

Last edited by XCeed; Feb 5th, 2016 at 22:09.
XCeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to XCeed For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2016, 23:46   #43
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCeed View Post
At first sight, there has never been a better choice out there...F Pace, GLC, Macan, LR, X3, Q5, etc, etc, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty they all fall by the wayside for one reason or another. I hummed and ’arred for a year and shortlisted them all (well the BM and Merc derivatives I have owned before - still have the aching spine to prove it) and nothing came close to the deal for...another XC60...! Keep the faith guys!
11 months on from placing my order, the arrival of the GLC and the Discovery Sport has not changed my view that the XC60 is currently still the best-in-class for my requirements. It eats the motorway miles, romps up the steep hills we have locally, carries Mrs D in great comfort, and has been totally unfazed by the wild wet weather we have had this winter.
The Macan looks to be a fine car, but would cost "spec for spec" considerably more. Ditto the F-Pace, which has yet to hit the showrooms. Yes, the infotainment system is looking rather dated, but it works. Pity it was not given a proper makeover at the mid-life refresh. Just hoping the new XC60 builds on the current model. The premium competition is growing, and the new model has to ready to take on the new Q5 and X3 amongst others due shortly.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2016, 00:12   #44
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCeed View Post
......... and nothing came close to the deal for...another XC60...! Keep the faith guys!
It's just that I have to wait patiently in the rain because, having opened the driver's door, the seat only then starts moving backwards from Mrs A's 'memory 2' position (jammed up against the steering wheel) to my position (way back on the rails). Only then can I get in, having moved the two shoes that have been kicked off and left in the footwell by the previous driver!

Question: why can't the seat start moving as soon as the 'memory' key has been used to unlock the car? Aagh!

Anyway, I guess they call this 'First World Problems' and we shouldn't really complain.

Tomorrow it's footie weekend rather than car testing weekend. Newcastle are at home to WBA and the lad & I have two tickets in the Baggies away section (which has been thoughtfully located 1/4mile away from the farthest goal, high up in a corner stand). We'll have some fun in the TT, just the two of us, heading along the A68 over Carter Bar.

Happy weekend folks, we made it through another winter working week. Mrs A is still mentioning the X4. They do a 35d which delivers 0-60mph in, wait for it, 5.2secs using launch control!!!! Really? Maybe...

Arianne
Old Feb 6th, 2016, 09:02   #45
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
Question: why can't the seat start moving as soon as the 'memory' key has been used to unlock the car? ...
I asked the same question of Volvo several years ago when i had a v70 and the answer was - for safety (as we expect from Volvo).

They contended that when you unlock the car you are not beside it - I was using the same argument as your good self, therefore at a distance - and therefore you have no knowledge or visibility of anything behind or in front of the seat.

I can see their logic, but don't totally agree with it - meantime I will keep getting wet.
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2016, 09:50   #46
Lexington013

Have you considered Lexus (SUV)?
Alternatively not premium brand, Kia Sorrento? Drove one in the U.S. Really nice car with lots of kit, nice auto box etc.
Another option Jeep Grand Cherokee.
For me the XC90 sits in the best position between estate car and suv.
The P3 examples look fantastic and you could save a shed load of money.....
Lexington013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2016, 10:34   #47
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Default Macan second hand values

Auto Express have just taken a 15 plate Macan S Diesel onto their long term test fleet.

It has 6000 miles on the clock, and £14000 worth of options fitted, making a cost new of £58000!

Apparently this car has not lost any of it's value since new - the only tell tale sign of use is a small ding on the bonnet.

It will be interesting to see how they get on with it over the coming months.

In my view, it is not a good looking car though, and not one I would have on my list to replace my XC60.
Old Feb 6th, 2016, 11:49   #48
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexington013 View Post
Have you considered Lexus (SUV)?
Alternatively not premium brand, Kia Sorrento? Drove one in the U.S. Really nice car with lots of kit, nice auto box etc. Another option Jeep Grand Cherokee. For me the XC90 sits in the best position between estate car and suv. The P3 examples look fantastic and you could save a shed load of money.....
We used to like the RX400h. I have a soft spot for petrol engines, we all liked the exterior look of the car and the depreciation on this particular petrol SUV wasn't too bad because of the Lexus brand (i.e. if you want a Lexus, and plenty of folk did, then it's a choice of petrol or...... petrol!). We also noted that Lexus dealers always score very highly in the AutoExpress annual awards.

But the brand's styling direction has gone awry for me and the lad, although Mrs A isn't as anti-Lexus as she is Porsche Macan. The interiors are also weird and, although unique, don't look classy anymore. Finally, the NX is purported to have wooden handling and the latest RX is a cruiser not a driver's machine.

We drove past the dealership at the Newbridge Luxury Car Village en-route to Eastern BMW last weekend. They had a few RX400's sitting outside but I didn't feel inclined to pop across and take a look - says it all really.

Kia's come a long way but that Sorrento, whilst being so much better than the model it replaced, is still a big, proper 4x4 SUV of the school of yesteryear (i.e. it reminds me of my old XC90's proposition). You're right though, it's fully loaded and much cheaper.

The Jeep..... nobody in our household is going to be tempted by this brand.

Finally, the XC90. Like you, I agree it's a nice car. And so do the magazines. I think it looks classy inside and out and it's grown on me since launch. But we no longer really need the 7-seat layout, all that space (which translates into weight and blunts the driving performance and thrill). In other circumstances I would be tempted by what is a very good Volvo although I remain unconvinced about Volvo's decision to drop 4cyl diesels into all the models. And in the Volvo's case, a T6 isn't an option as the fuel economy is dire once the battery pack has been exhausted (25 mile range, if I recall correctly).

But thank you for suggesting some options, it's quite fun kicking the choices around between us and, for me, is all part of the buying experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkBoy View Post
Auto Express have just taken a 15 plate Macan S Diesel onto their long term test fleet. It has 6000 miles on the clock, and £14000 worth of options fitted, making a cost new of £58000! Apparently this car has not lost any of it's value since new - the only tell tale sign of use is a small ding on the bonnet.

It will be interesting to see how they get on with it over the coming months. In my view, it is not a good looking car though, and not one I would have on my list to replace my XC60.
You see, this is why I thought the Macan might be a possibility. It's reputation for gravity defying residuals meant that the accountant within me calculated that it might be worth a punt and affordable.

I also read that AutoExpress article but I just can't believe it. The fact is that neither Porsche nor an independent finance provider are quoting residuals anything like that. The Porsche APR is frankly only suitable for those that don't understand the value of money (your next provider would be Wonga) and the independent has an APR of around 5% but the GMFV is lower so it all balances out in the end, albeit that if the Porsche is worth more at the end of the PCP then the independent provider's GMFV would be more beneficial for me. But then it starts getting too complicated and, with Jaguar, BMW, Audi and possibly even Volvo trying to get a slice of the niche sports utility vehicle segment in the next few years I think that those Porsche values might begin to soften. Who knows, it is a Porsche after all.

But I think that you need to love the car and not just the badge? We're struggling with that in respect of the Macan right now. And although the base Macan diesel S is coming in at £46.5k, by the time the 'necessary' options have been added, we're looking at around £53k. That wouldn't include SatNav or leather seats - options that might be considered essential at resale for a car in this price range? And the technology interface of the Porsche is from a bygone era with a 6" screen to remind you that it's of Windows XP generation. And we're talking zero discount on anything. Meanwhile, back at Eastern BMW we think we could negotiate hard and secure up to a 10% discount on the whole package. Residuals only matter on a PCP insofar as they relate to the GMFV since it's not us taking the risk of the resale figures at changeover time.

We are in the somewhat happy position that this next car can be an indulgence. We could choose to pay for the thing outright or contribute a hefty deposit, albeit that neither of us fancy making a huge withdrawal from the bank account for what is just a car. I am just into my 50s and we live in a part of the country where insurance costs are unbelievably low. The next one needs to look lovely (always in the eye of the beholder), behave like a pan-euro cruiser in the outside lane of an autobahn, drive like a sports coupe on the twisty rural roads of the Scottish Borders, have AWD for the alpine snow/traction to get all the power down, have a high SUV driving position and have the ability to traverse farm tracks with its better ground clearance than a normal car. Not much then

The Porsche ticked most of the boxes but failed miserably in the 'looks' department - an essential for all of us, especially Mrs A. It's not rejected quite yet though. Our current, pampered XC60 will be sold privately as has been the case with all of our cars. They're first-class condition, full history and low-risk package means that every car we have ever marketed through eBay or Gumtree has sold within ten days - be it an eleven year old Peugeot 206 1.1LX, our Vectra with 120k on the clock or our last XC90 with 115k at eight years old. Part-ex doesn't work due to the dealer costs of turning the cars around and the adverse impact this has on their profit margin. Better to avoid all that and sell her myself.

So then, we're talking a Porsche Macan, Audi SQ5, BMW X4 35d M-sport or Jaguar F-pace V6. Unless Volvo start releasing details of the next XC60 and do something spectacular with the engine and suspension setup?

Off to the footie. Knowing Tony Pulis, it'll be 0-0 unless Newcastle play their usual crazy football this afternoon.

Best wishes.

Arianne

Last edited by Arianne; Feb 6th, 2016 at 11:52.
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2016, 12:17   #49
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Honestly Porsche need to get with the times charging that much for a car to come with bi xenon headlights is madness! Heck their sister firm in Audi are strapping LED's as headlights!

As for not having sat nav on a 50K car you can get a 20-30K BMW with it standard!

Having bought my 640D GC now the engine (N57) is the same as the one you test drove in the X3 and is something to behold even though it is being replaced by the B57 starting in the new 7 series.

Only real issue to watch is the timing chain as the N57 is the famous N47 2.0D which suffers timing issues and the N57 simply has a few extra enhancements and two extra cylinders.

Quoted time for the 640D gran coupe about 2000kg all said and done is 5.4 seconds, crazy quick when you want it to be and calm and comfortable when you don't.

Last edited by Ninja59; Feb 6th, 2016 at 12:25.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2016, 14:12   #50
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
So then, we're talking a Porsche Macan, Audi SQ5, BMW X4 35d M-sport or Jaguar F-pace V6. Unless Volvo start releasing details of the next XC60 and do something spectacular with the engine and suspension setup?
You mentioned March 2017 'plate' as your change-over date. Is this to avoid the new VED rates coming in April 2017 (with the extra penalty for cars over £40k) ?
The problem is that the new Q5, X3 and XC60 will be 'launched' over the next 12/18 months (???) which collides with your date, AND there is always the issue with new releases of (a) minimal discounts, (b) long waiting lists and (c) delayed arrival of test-drive stock into UK showrooms. Remember the 'worldwide launch' of the XC90 in September 2014 ? UK dealers did not get their stock in until (I think) May 2015, but many folk had already placed orders before even seeing it. Now most of us would never buy a car without a test drive, so you really have a difficult decision to take -- unless of course you could delay changing for a further 12 months.
Have you thought of a (current) XC60 D5 with ALL the option boxes ticked (including the Inscription leather) ? I reckon this would come in at less than £45k for cash. Old model, yes, but it would take some beating for 'go anywhere' and comfort.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.

Last edited by NigelDay; Feb 6th, 2016 at 14:18.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw x3, porsche macan