Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre Monitor

Views : 1378

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2018, 11:27   #1
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Default Tyre Monitor

During a long drive home yesterday afternoon, my recently-acquired 2015 V60 D4 put up a persistent tyre warning message ... It mentioned one tyre being low, but the displayed graphic showed ALL four wheels as amber.

I accessed the tyre monitor vehicle main menu which also showed a similar graphic. Strangely the 'calibrate' option was greyed out and unavailable.

Early this morning (whilst cool) I used a gauge to check and found that all tyres were very close to the figures on the door plate (actually both nearside tyres were a fraction high). I've now set them all to exactly the recommended pressure.

I've not actually used the car today so I don't know if the problem is still there. But why did this happen?

Last edited by Zebster; Jul 16th, 2018 at 11:47.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 12:02   #2
NigelDay
Premier Member

I once had this occur, but there was no tyre damage. You did the right thing by checking pressures when cool. Once checked, you need to re-calibrate and all should be OK. It certainly does work when you do get a slow puncture. I reckon a drop of about 20% from the normal in the affected tyre triggers the monitor. If the problem persists, get it checked.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 12:13   #3
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
I once had this occur, but there was no tyre damage. You did the right thing by checking pressures when cool. Once checked, you need to re-calibrate and all should be OK. It certainly does work when you do get a slow puncture. I reckon a drop of about 20% from the normal in the affected tyre triggers the monitor. If the problem persists, get it checked.
How did you re-calibrate when that option was greyed out?

None of my tyres had lost pressure.
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 14:14   #4
1monkey600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post

The light can come on even if all the tyres are at the same pressure. For instance, if you change from light load settings (say 36psi) to economy (39psi) and don't re-calibrate then the light can come on.
To complicate matters it doesn't necessarily come on straight away, e.g. I have changed from winter to summer wheels/tyres, driven around the village for a few days with no problem and then hit the motorway and twenty minutes later the light has come on. Quick pressure test and all 4 tyres are the same, recalibrated, and next time I saw the warning light was after changing back from summer wheels/tyres to the winter ones.
There is no special sensor in the tyres (like there used to be). The TPMS now works off rolling circumference and compares across all four corners and from data history.
If your calibrate button was greyed out, and I'm guessing, maybe you have to leave the car cool down or switch engine off? Check your owners manual is the best advice.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1monkey600 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 15:21   #5
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Maybe the hot day and long journey served to increase the pressure and confuse the monitoring system? Strange though, with no significant differential changes. If this is going to happen then I'd rather disable it!

The paper owners manual is useless on this subject. The on-board e-version does give some information (including an explanation of the differences between TPMS and this simplified 'tyre monitoring' system) but doesn't cover what situations might give the sort of false/nuisance alarm that I've experienced.
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 16:01   #6
1monkey600

If you go to here:
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...20&tab=manuals

Fill in the boxes for car model and MY (you will find the specific MY for your car, as there are often 2 for each year, by looking at the back cover of the paper owners manual you already have).
When you click OK scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see a list of pdf manuals available for your specific car. Note that the pdf owners manual is (almost definitely) much more detailed than the one provided in the car (around 450 pages).

I have a pdf copy on phone and tablet - the app is also OK but I am old school and prefer to go to the index and work back from there (the pdf is linked so you can just click on the index, or contents, subject line or page number and it will jump directly there)
The Following User Says Thank You to 1monkey600 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 16:47   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post

It was greyed out because you are moving , try it when stopped .
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 17:37   #8
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Just returned from driving.

The 'calibrate' function had remained greyed out and the wheels all amber when I set off. I pushed 'OK' several times without success whilst moving but when my wife pushed it whilst stopped then the system went into calibration (despite being still greyed out) and all wheels went green. I believe it now has to monitor the relative wheels rotations for 30km before updating its internal baseline figure.

I'd keep watching it but I've also inserted a map update USB stick which has taken over the display!
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 18:18   #9
1monkey600

Just had a look in my manual and it is probably 'greyed out' because you are meant to do it with ignition on (key position II) but engine off. Same as if you were measuring your oil, etc.
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 20:09   #10
Chrisv60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1monkey600 View Post
There is no special sensor in the tyres (like there used to be). The TPMS now works off rolling circumference and compares across all four corners and from data history.

I get a similar thing maybe once or twice a year. It just seems to be one of those random glitches.

Mine has the sensors in the tyres, not sure which model year it changed. I assumed it was something to do with temporary interference of the presssure transmitter.