Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone replaced the tailgate lower weatherstrip?

Views : 1432

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2018, 20:33   #11
cyclogenesis

I agree with all the comments above. Mine was a bit of a pig to be honest as it did fall apart and then it was difficult getting the old pieces out. Indeed be careful of the paintwork. On mine i found that the window sealant was a bit too thick in certain places making it difficult to seat the new trim. I had to use a little sikaflex in a couple of places to make sure it difnt pop out. Good luck.
cyclogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cyclogenesis For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 16:29   #12
volvo2
Master Member

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=155370
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo2 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 22:04   #13
Gav88

After reading this thread I thought I'd try removing the weatherstrip on my v70 as the first 6 inches was coming away already. Pleased to report it came off in about 20 seconds with no drama. So it looks like luck of the draw as to how rusted in or bonded in the weatherstrip is.
Gav88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 12:17   #14
855 tdi
Master Member

Default Regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav88 View Post
After reading this thread I thought I'd try removing the weatherstrip on my v70 as the first 6 inches was coming away already. Pleased to report it came off in about 20 seconds with no drama. So it looks like luck of the draw as to how rusted in or bonded in the weatherstrip is.
Wish I had some of that luck.. I couldn't find a scrap one and the day came to collect the trim so I attempted removal on my own car. It didn't go well and now I have a real mess to sort out, the part under the glass is refusing to come out of parts and fine on others, I see how people ended up damaging paint or chipping the glass. My advice would be to glue it if an end comes out like mine had, I plan to fit some cheap U rubber in place after I sort out the mess left, I decided it was a better option than £30 on the Volvo trim which will probably snap going in. Ultimately I wish i'd left well alone now..

Volvo 855 TDI 228,000M (sold) Volvo V70 2.5D 218,000m (sold)
Volvo 745 GLE 129,000M (Tankenstein) Volvo 940 SE HPT 115,000M
855 tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 02:50   #15
pookie
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 855 tdi View Post
Wish I had some of that luck.. I couldn't find a scrap one and the day came to collect the trim so I attempted removal on my own car. It didn't go well and now I have a real mess to sort out, the part under the glass is refusing to come out of parts and fine on others, I see how people ended up damaging paint or chipping the glass. My advice would be to glue it if an end comes out like mine had, I plan to fit some cheap U rubber in place after I sort out the mess left, I decided it was a better option than £30 on the Volvo trim which will probably snap going in. Ultimately I wish i'd left well alone now..

Very sharp blade and care will clean it all up. Get the genuine seal loads of rubber grease and install. It wont snap because you push it in and bobs yer uncle. Smooth as a glove on a chickens lip!

Salut!

Pookie
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 21:26   #16
klausc
Old fart

As others have mentioned, remove it before rust drips down and scars the paint on the hatch. The strip is somewhat useful in keeping out dust and salt.

The new strip must slide on from one side, your choice of which side. You will need to clean the glass and should wax the paint before sliding it on.
Be careful not to bend it! It takes patience and lots of rubber lube.